Popular games of the past that you just couldn’t play

Anything on the Infinity Engine. The Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are a bit more digestible and are fun to play with friends but I still haven't played through them.

The original Deus Ex. It plays horribly by modern standards even compared to older titles like Half-Life, Duke 3D, and DOOM.

well its an rpg. it already played a lot different when it came out.

for me its gears of war. the whole badass theme made me cringe and combat is just sitting behind cover and waiting for the bullet sponge enemies to pop up.

Any mmo, the gameplay is always mediocre to bad.

Witcher 3
Dragon Age Inquistion

Just didnt like the mechanics or combat in both games. Clunky as fuck.

Dragon Age Inquisition had no healing spells and the auto targeting sucks. I hate that about it. Seems petty. I might go back but it turned me off initially.

Might revisit Witcher 3 cause everyone on this board fellates it, so I might focus more on it to get to the mid to late game.

Oh, my God, you're giving me an aneurysm, please just go Google a walkthrough vid of that HL2 level to figure out how to get to the next stage.

Okay, for me. Sonic. Never got that shit. Hate it. But that's how I felt at the time. It wasn't "old" when I first played the original. I also hated early third person action/stealther masterpieces like the Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid games. Just let me bang, bro.

I can't tell how much of this question is spiritually directed at the "test of time". After all, "classics" supposedly have already stood that test, so perhaps this thread is directed at younger gamers, since it's about "old" games, and those gamers' inability to tolerate antiquated technologies or game design archetypes from the past. On the other, maybe you were just inspired by the recent Berry thread asking about which popular actors people don't like, but wanted a vintage twist, rather than a focus on today's game.

Ruminating on this, I realized I've sort of lived through the entirety of videogame history, playing throughout it all, so it's not like there is ever a "culture shock" when I revisit old games. I either like it or I don't. When you grow up on silent films, it doesn't matter once you've gotten to 3D or virtual reality, because nothing along the way was an unfamiliar step into an alien past, but rather a memory of exciting progress at the time.

I used to get so much aniexty trying to play Resident Evil 1.

It's mostly because the controls were terrible and the inventory system triggers you constantly. "Oh I have the wrong key and now you're going to make me sit through 12 load screens to go back and get it thanks."

played all of 5 minutes of Overwatch at my buds and wanted to kill myself

Half Life. Felt really sloppy, especially the platforming parts.

Dark Souls. I've tried and I'm trying again as I just bought DS remastered. I don't want to sound like a whiny bitch but I will anyways. The combat doesn't feel hard to me, it just feels bad.

Witcher 3
Dragon Age Inquistion

Dragon Age Inquisition had no healing spells and the auto targeting sucks. I hate that about it. Seems petty. I might go back but it turned me off initially.

Might revisit Witcher 3 cause everyone on this board fellates it, so I might focus more on it to get to the mid to late game.

I got pretty board pretty quickly with Witcher 3, I can’t remember exactly why I stopped playing but It didn’t drag me in. My ex’s son played it through more than once though. But he was more into that type of game(dark souls is his all time favorite)

Mass Effect and Fallout. I hate em both.

It's a good thing g this forum doesnt have a neg system.

Games that try to be movies, just can't get into them because there's so little actual gameplay.

I was like 17 when the first baldurs gate came out. Bought it but I sucked because I just didn't have the patience yet for that style of gameplay. Came back to it a few years later when BG2 came out. Now it's one of my favorite series of all time and I've played through both games a ton of times.

Same here, I had no idea how those games worked. You need to understand DND rolls to be able to play that game effectively. And even if you do, you can die really easily until you get a few levels.

Witcher 3
Dragon Age Inquistion

Don't remember the specifics, but you can get 2 kinds of healing potions that you can restock at camps.

Could never get into the Resident Evil games. Don't like how the difficulty and suspense factor is based on handicapping the player by limiting how fast you can move and making ammo scarce. That's not real horror. Not being able to move while you shoot is bullshit.

Same here, I had no idea how those games worked. You need to understand DND rolls to be able to play that game effectively. And even if you do, you can die really easily until you get a few levels.
On the very first screen after candlekeep where you get Imoen, there's an Ogre that can one shot both of you. If you don't understand ranged combat and kiting, every encounter you run into is going to kill you.

HALO... My friends always tried to get me to play.. I was like I'm not into jumping floating alien warfare, come join me on Call of Duty and get murked on the ground...

Oh, my God, you're giving me an aneurysm, please just go Google a walkthrough vid of that HL2 level to figure out how to get to the next stage.

Okay, for me. Sonic. Never got that shit. Hate it. But that's how I felt at the time. It wasn't "old" when I first played the original. I also hated early third person action/stealther masterpieces like the Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid games. Just let me bang, bro.

I can't tell how much of this question is spiritually directed at the "test of time". After all, "classics" supposedly have already stood that test, so perhaps this thread is directed at younger gamers, since it's about "old" games, and those gamers' inability to tolerate antiquated technologies or game design archetypes from the past. On the other, maybe you were just inspired by the recent Berry thread asking about which popular actors people don't like, but wanted a vintage twist, rather than a focus on today's game.

Ruminating on this, I realized I've sort of lived through the entirety of videogame history, playing throughout it all, so it's not like there is ever a "culture shock" when I revisit old games. I either like it or I don't. When you grow up on silent films, it doesn't matter once you've gotten to 3D or virtual reality, because nothing along the way was an unfamiliar step into an alien past, but rather a memory of exciting progress at the time.

I kind of have feelings like this, i remember playing on the Atari 2600 back in the day, and have probably seen most of what gaming has to offer, so games these days dont really come as a surprise to me anymore, and i still visit old emulators and play the likes of Dizzy, Bomb Jack and Pang and a LOT of others.

I also really enjoy modern games.

The only really epic series i maybe didnt like as much as others, was Final Fantasy, its not that i dont like RPGs, i think they made it a bit niche for my liking

I kind of have feelings like this, i remember playing on the Atari 2600 back in the day, and have probably seen most of what gaming has to offer, so games these days dont really come as a surprise to me anymore, and i still visit old emulators and play the likes of Dizzy, Bomb Jack and Pang and a LOT of others.

The only really epic series i maybe didnt like as much as others, was Final Fantasy, its not that i dont like RPGs, i think they made it a bit niche for my liking

That submarine game on Atari was addicting as a kid

I can't do any Final Fantasy games after 9. The gameplay, story, and especially the characters keep getting worse and worse. Way too weeb for my liking.

That submarine game on Atari was addicting as a kid

My son uses that word, its not a proper word, but i agree, the 2600 has some crazy addictive games when the only option was terrible TV shows

Back