What makes Anderson Silva appear more aware and in control

From what I have been able to find, his base style(s) are a mix of Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do. When he was 12, he began Tae Kwon Do and reached his black belt at 18. He also found Muay Thai at 16 and although I am not aware of what gym he started at, he did train at the Chute Boxe Academy in Brazil (if I remember correctly, this is also where Wanderlei Silva trained at the time) early in his MMA career. In 2010 he received his yellow rope in Capoeira, so the influence it had on his style is debatable and most of what I can find about his Capoeira training starting when he was young have no sources anyway. In 2006, he joined team Black House which has/had Lyoto Machida (a karateka), Assuério Silva (a former proffesional boxer) and whatever knowledge the Nogueira Brothers were able to give him as well. There a bunch of notable fighters from Black House he could have absorbed techniques from, but it looks like his starting tools were just TKD and Muay Thai.

Thank you for your point.

Although his stand up styles are both Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do he still seems to use techniques that aren't really thought in either. He has trained with great champions however all of them seem to fight differently. Shogun Rua and Wanderlei Silva are both aggressive but that's the only thing they have in comon. That fact alone tells me since everyone is different he must have had those tools before hand otherwise they'd all have very simular styles.

Example
Anyone who trains at John Hacklemans hawiian kempo kickboxing gym "The Pit" has very simular styles. Fighters like Chuck Liddell, Antonio Benuelos and Glover Texiera have a wide stance to defend takedowns plus a wide array or variety of unusual angled punches, mainly dangerous variations of the lead hook. Glover is a bit different having a slight more narrow stance with most traditional Boxing pinches.

Greg Jackson's gym with fighters like Yoel Romero, Jon Jones and Holly Holm favor straight line kicks to the legs and body which I agree with being roundhouse have more risk than reward.

In chute box everyone's for the most part different.

It's a shame

It seems as though I do not have the option to post. I have noticed the message

"(You have insufficient privileges to post here)"

In which I haven't the slightest clue in what reason that is, being that I made a few post already but what ever dictates that "Privilege" isn't in my concern.

If I may not post on Sherdog anymore then it's time for me to move on to somewhere else. I had some ideas for future post which I may post on a different website alltoghether that will allow me to post. If i find a new website and any of you viewers that happen to be interested in viewing my post I'll return with a link to my page. I guess this is goodbye until then. Thank you for viewing and your support, it was a short but fun ride.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180705-203553.png
    Screenshot_20180705-203553.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 5
It's a shame

In which I haven't the slightest clue in what reason that is, being that I made a few post already but what ever dictates that "Privilege" isn't in my concern.

If I may not post on Sherdog anymore then it's time for me to move on to somewhere else. I had some ideas for future post which I may post on a different website alltoghether that will allow me to post. If i find a new website and any of you viewers that happen to be interested in viewing my post I'll return with a link to my page. I guess this is goodbye until then. Thank you for viewing and your support, it was a short but fun ride.
A moderator can move your thread to standup and you should be allowed to post in any forum since you dont have a yellow or red card so ask a moderator to sort that out for ya.

Anderson Silva in general opinion is one of the greatest if not he is the G.O.A.T. If you ask why it would be extremely easy to answer. He has the most flashiest and technical skills he pulls out of his hat and a lot of cases it looks like it's with ease regardless of who he fights or has fought.

Why though, what makes him so successful, why in comparison to other great strikers side by side or competing does he not only look like he's about 5 steps ahead but it looks like they do what he wants them to do and has more elements to him? If you name the greatest strikers you could think of in any sport. It looks like they lack elements in comparison.

Anderson Silva looks like he has a **WAY** deeper understanding of striking in the octagon and I have not in any other sport involving striking including K.1 and Boxing have as much control with striking using similar tricks and tactics as well as him.

Great All Time Strikers like Jose Aldo, Renan Barao, T.j Dillashaw, Dominick Cruz, Pedro Rizzo, Maurice Smith, Bas Rutten, Anthony Johnson, Chuck Liddell, Conor McGregor, Cain Velasquez, Wanderlei Silva, Jon Jones, George St-Pierre, Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, Edson Barboza, Tony Ferguson, Fedor Emelianenko and even Professional Strikers such as

Mirko Cro Cop, Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, Stephen Thompson, Uriah Hall, Alistair Overeem and Donald Cerrone still pale in comparison. To me after binge watching Anderson Silva other strikers look like the same story in different guises.

Stand toe to toe, feint, stalk, feint, strike, blocked, return, slip, blocked, return etc.

Obviously there are set ups, different types of footwork, deeply trained arsenals and more things involved but that's generally what it starts to look like to me.

So I want to discuss and learn on what makes Anderson Silva so great, what is he working with? how does he makes them work? What small details does he have that makes the whole picture? How he has so much control in fights and what makes him more dangerous than others?

No one yet has really caught on to the elements or rather aspects in the stand up that Anderson possess.

Now I mean no disrespect with this post. A magician never reveals their tricks. I feel I could benefit from these techniques for self defensive purposes and by no means do I have a dream to pursue an M.M.A career. Not to give off that I would by any means have the potential to be a formidable foe even for hypothetical sake. I believe Fighting is an essential and any tool especially from an all time great that worked against other greats would help anyone.

Now that all of that's out of the way I want to list off the varies of differences and tools that i have noticed that differs Anderson Silva from any other M.M.A fighter and please leave a comment if you notice, point something out or have knowledge on his tricks and techniques.

it's easier to spot out greatness or a fighters forte when they're not as developed. I want you guys to take this method with you if you ever want to dissect your favorite fighters and learn from their greatness.

Lets go earlier into his career so we can see the staple of his arsenal in its purity.

Anderson Silva V.S Fabrício Camões

Immediately I notice Anderson Silva is using some Boxing distance illusions. He seems like he's closer and about to attack which provokes Fabricio to preemptive.

upload_2018-6-8_0-56-53-png.390595

upload_2018-6-8_0-57-22-png.390597

This right here I believe is the core of his arsenal, this tactic deflects strikes, keeps distance, allows you to counter and be fully mobile and also can deny takedown attempts. The Jab was a failed attempt and Fabricio in fear throws the same jab moving forward off course. Anderson then steps back to an orthodox stance while keeping distance then returns with a right straight over the top.

upload_2018-6-8_12-45-46-png.390747

After Anderson hits Fabricio with a right straight Fabricio in a desperate attempt shoots for a off balanced takedown in which Anderson postures his arms out once more to deny the attempt

upload_2018-6-8_13-5-42-png.390757

He also steps his lead back to ensure the denial of the takedown.

He also has great clinch pressure, clinch control and the threat of the Cross Face used to set up knees. In conjunction this will make a fighter with lesser control want to break out and move back HENCE why so many fighters back-peddle except for most Wrestlers.

Earlier in the fight he landed a knee from his arms postured out

upload_2018-6-8_13-13-39-png.390763

upload_2018-6-8_13-10-33-png.390759

With that successful knee that rocked Fabricio earlier, now Fabricio desperately tries to break Anderson's cross face by pushing Anderson's left forearm up and move to Anderson's right side against the ropes to attain an double under. Anderson immediately uses this opportunity to Clinch pass and get an over under and pressure Fabricio against the elastic ropes.

upload_2018-6-8_13-23-9-png.390765

Anderson Silva in this fight also used a smart tactic which was to pressure his opponent against the ropes to under hook his legs to pretty much attain top mount.

upload_2018-6-8_13-24-7-png.390767

So when they both slid off of the ropes it was an easily attained mount in favor of Anderson Silva.

View attachment 390827

Much more soon.
I’ll make this easy for you. He is a pure counter striker, guys that pressured him and threw first usually had a free ride to the hospital. Patrick Cote of all people showed how ineffective he is when he’s forced to lead. Bisping threw light snappy shots to draw his counter and countered the counter.

It's a shame

White Belts no longer have the ability to create threads:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/white-belts-and-thread-creating.3791367/

I’ll make this easy for you. He is a pure counter striker, guys that pressured him and threw first usually had a free ride to the hospital. Patrick Cote of all people showed how ineffective he is when he’s forced to lead. Bisping threw light snappy shots to draw his counter and countered the counter.

Correct, but I'm looking for his techniques with his counter striking methods. The outcome is hes a counter striker that baits his opponents. I want to go farther into his methods, set ups and techniques in which he uses to be a successful counter striker.

A moderator can move your thread to standup and you should be allowed to post in any forum since you dont have a yellow or red card so ask a moderator to sort that out for ya.

I tried but it seems I can't get a hold of one unfortunately.

After 2 hours of trying to find the post thread option I saw that, I felt a bit disrespected with the no regrets part with a link to Asap rocky - No Regrets trap song sort of throwing in a couple jabs for no reason. I always thought about making a Sherdog account years ago but I guess I came too late. I don't understand the reason for that decision but that's his/hers to make. I think its because it's meant to make me get a membership for profit reasons despite that they have quite a few adverts in the background, just my opinion.

After 2 hours of trying to find the post thread option I saw that, I felt a bit disrespected with the no regrets part with a link to Asap rocky - No Regrets trap song sort of throwing in a couple jabs for no reason. I always thought about making a Sherdog account years ago but I guess I came too late. I don't understand the reason for that decision but that's his/hers to make. I think its because it's meant to make me get a membership for profit reasons despite that they have quite a few adverts in the background, just my opinion.
The point is that white belts typically flood forums with bad threads, and notoriously post in the wrong section. Case in point, you making a thread about MMA fighter Anderson Silva in the Kickboxing and Muay Thai forum. Nobody is feeling sorry for you.

^^^agree here. There have been a ton of informative threads made on Sherdog in the past, so even when I could make them, if I googled whatever it was, I usually found it.

If it helps at all, use 'site:forums.sherdog.com' on Google and then follow it up with your query. You can find a lot of threads you wouldn't be able to find otherwise, so a lot of questions I was going to ask in thread form didn't even need to be made.

Also, not that I am belittling you for asking a question (I mean I have too haha), but in my opinion it's more fun to do the research yourself anyway :)

The Bisbing fight was so weird but I still thought he won. He just decides he'd rather bicycle at some points of some fights.

But I don't hold drugs against him, in every sport there's so many records with asterisks that they asterisks are meaningless beyond a point. He was only pissing hot near the end of his career, after trying to recover from a career ending leg injury.

Yes he was a classic counterstriker weak to aggressive wrestling with solid strike awareness.

The main keys to fighting like Silva are:
1) Have very high self confidence.
2) Be very relaxed, almost laughing at the whole thing.
3) Be in great conditioning / carry no extra weight
4) Have long reach
5) Train hard.

#1 and #2 are super important and are also related. You have to enjoy being in the octagon, and you have to have no worries. When you're not tense, you have great conservation of energy and better power and faster reflexes.

I really see the key to his ability being his relaxed enjoyment in the cage.

@ConcreteCracker
You overestimate Anderson a lot. He was great sure but his most impressive run was against subpar stand up fighters in the UFC who wouldnt even be Top20 in todays MMA landscape. Sure you can clown these fighters,take their confidence and look like a god if you are very good at stand up. If there would have been fighters like Whitaker, Jacare, Weidmann...etc. he would have been still top but just one of the top guys and maybe not even champ.

Your comparison of fighters who would "pale" against Silva is a complete joke! First this looks just like copy&paste job without any thought process as some names dont make sense at all. He never fought the level of stand up competition many of these guys did.

Imo not a "stand up" forum thread but more of an Anderson Silva fan thread for UFC Forum.

Last edited:
@ConcreteCracker
You overestimate Anderson a lot. He was great sure but his most impressive run was against subpar stand up fighters in the UFC who wouldnt even be Top20 in todays MMA landscape. Sure you can clown these fighters,take their confidence and look like a god if you are very good at stand up. If there would have been fighters like Whitaker, Jacare, Weidmann...etc. he would have been still top but just one of the top guys and maybe not even champ.

Your comparison of fighters who would "pale" against Silva is a complete joke! First this looks just like copy&paste job without any thought process as some names dont make sense at all. He never fought the level of stand up competition many of these guys did.

Imo not a "stand up" forum thread but more of an Anderson Silva fan thread for UFC Forum.

Thank you for your opinion

I don't believe I'm overestimating Anderson Silva at all. Nate Diaz, Forrest Griffin, Stephan Bonnar, Michael Bisping, Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt where all very good strikers and or some where dangerous knockout artist. Saying they where "sub par" is not really fair when most of these big name fighters earned championships. Although you may argue with these names and why you feel I'm overrating his victories, it still stands that not only where these some of the greatest strikers at the time but the control he had in these fights was astonishing.

Also I did not copy and paste names from anywhere, these where all from comparisons I have done. I used these names in comparison to sort of show that there are alot more similarities between said named fighters opposed to when Anderson Silva is compared to them, I see a drastic difference in tactics and techniques. That's not to say he would out class them. He just seems to have more control in the aspect of striking in general no matter where the fight goes.

As for a Robert Whittaker or Jacare Souza, Anderson Silva before he lost to Weidman and had his aura of invincibility was October 13, 2012 which was exactly when he beat Stephan Bonnar. Earlier that year Robert Whittaker was 9 - 2 being he had just lost his fight in May 18, 2012 via Decision. For Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza was 16 - 3 being he had just beat Derek Brunson August 18, 2012. Now I can't draw conclusions being will never know but in my honest opinion at the time if Silva where to face Whittaker or Souza he would've probably defested them both being I don't believe they had the tools nor the blue print to beat Anderson.

Souza in my opinion would be more stylistically developed to face Anderson Silva than Robert Whittaker at the time however with all due respect Souza still seemed a bit lack luster and not as coordinated opposed to the Souza we see today. Both fighters today would definitely have a great chance against Anderson Silva. But if your statement was to take them today and put them at that time it's not really a fair argument to make being they where already there in the MMA scene. But honestly I don't think it would matter because despite your statement I still firmly believe Anderson Silva at that time could beat both those fighters today anyway.

The point is that white belts typically flood forums with bad threads, and notoriously post in the wrong section. Case in point, you making a thread about MMA fighter Anderson Silva in the Kickboxing and Muay Thai forum. Nobody is feeling sorry for you.

I chose the Muay Thai & Kickboxing forum to seek the opinions of those who excessively train and observe in these styles of striking. I don't think it matters whether he's an MMA fighter or not being the discussion is in regards to his succession of striking which funny enough his base style of striking happens to be Muay Thai.

With all due respect I'm not looking for pity or sorrow from anyone so save it for someone else. I was simply stating an issue I was having and also letting any viewers interested in my post know if I happen to find an alternative website, I will post a link in this post.

If time comes later that White Belts may have the "privilege" to post again I will see to it that I keep MMA strictly in MMA and not seek an opinion from someone who may have a great deal of knowledge in striking when my question is specifically striking based.

I chose the Muay Thai & Kickboxing forum to seek the opinions of those who excessively train and observe in these styles of striking. I don't think it matters whether he's an MMA fighter or not being the discussion is in regards to his succession of striking which funny enough his base style of striking happens to be Muay Thai.

With all due respect I'm not looking for pity or sorrow from anyone so save it for someone else. I was simply stating an issue I was having and also letting any viewers interested in my post know if I happen to find an alternative website, I will post a link in this post.

If time comes later that White Belts may have the "privilege" to post again I will see to it that I keep MMA strictly in MMA and not seek an opinion from someone who may have a great deal of knowledge in striking when my question is specifically striking based.

Muay Thai striking ≠ MMA striking. Hell, Muay Thai striking and Kickboxing striking are pretty different. Watch Gokhan Saki's most recent MMA fight for an example of what I am talking about. You are still proving his point because you posted the thread in the wrong forum thinking stand up in MMA and standup in Muay Thai/Kickboxing are the same when they are very different. So please, do post these sorts of questions in the MMA forum in the future; you would probably get much better answers than you have been getting because your question is about an MMA Fighter and not a Kickboxer.

Watch Gokhan Saki's most recent MMA fight for an example of what I am talking about.
Not a valid point because Saki would have been knocked out in Kickboxing the same way if he threw a leg kick with no set up and his head not off center. He got knocked out for throwing poor technique, not because it was Kickboxing and different from MMA. He's also a fighter in the decline and off the juice.

Not a valid point because Saki would have been knocked out in Kickboxing the same way if he threw a leg kick with no set up and his head not off center. He got knocked out for throwing poor technique, not because it was Kickboxing and different from MMA. He's also a fighter in the decline and off the juice.

That's fair, it was the first fight that came to mind when thinking about a Kickboxer converting to MMA, but in hindsight it was a pretty poor example. I think Joe Schilling or Cyril Abidi's MMA run would have been better for illustrating my point, but ya can't win 'em all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back