Resident Evil 2 Remake/General

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's subjective but I absolutely hated RE7. Put it slightly above six because I couldn't even force myself to play that, but I really didn't like it.
Youre the only person Ive seen that doesnt like RE7.

RE7 is more survival horror than action, similar to what the purists of 1 wanted. I loved it personally. A top 3 RE for me.

RE7 is more survival horror than action, similar to what the purists of 1 wanted. I loved it personally. A top 3 RE for me.
I've talked to other people that didn't like it. There are plenty of players that didn't like it. The story and characters were weak outside of the Baker patriarch. The last boss was a glorified qte. The combat sucked and there was no enemy variety. The story and gameplay don't encourage replays, especially since the first act is so slow and plot heavy, and the game has a lot of fetching, backtracking, and inane puzzles. RE4 was released over a decade prior and is a better game in every way except for graphics.

Like I said it's my least favorite except for 6, which was pretty much universally hated. I'm glad for the remake because it's my first chance at a resident evil that probably won't suck, since it's based on a previous title. They don't know how to make good resident evil games anymore. In fact a lot of Capcom properties have really been struggling lately.

I loved RE 7. It's a great example of how VR can truly enhance an experience.

I've talked to other people that didn't like it. There are plenty of players that didn't like it. The story and characters were weak outside of the Baker patriarch. The last boss was a glorified qte. The combat sucked and there was no enemy variety. The story and gameplay don't encourage replays, especially since the first act is so slow and plot heavy, and the game has a lot of fetching, backtracking, and inane puzzles. RE4 was released over a decade prior and is a better game in every way except for graphics.

Like I said it's my least favorite except for 6, which was pretty much universally hated. I'm glad for the remake because it's my first chance at a resident evil that probably won't suck, since it's based on a previous title. They don't know how to make good resident evil games anymore. In fact a lot of Capcom properties have really been struggling lately.

Wow so thats how it is, being reductive when it suits you and dont like a game? The same could be said for nearly all of the RE games, hell RE4 puzzles are rarely puzzles, just little pace changers that take 2-3 seconds to do. There is a lot of backtracking, revisiting same places etc in earlier RE games aswell and inane and nonsensical puzzles in all of RE games.

RE4 is leaning more towards the action than the survival horror, infact other than the tunnels, and early in the game, the game didnt have that survival horror feel at all, it plays like an amazing action game than a survival horror game which RE7 does.

Youre not meant to feel like Rambo, suplexing granados, face kicking monsters and TMPing bosses.

RE games usually have weak stories too but characters people like. I thought the Baker family were strongly written, and the PC is a sit in for us, the player, so yeah you could dock points here but same goes for other RE games.

You can say you dont like a game but nitpicking faults with it when youve enjoyed it in other games is asinine imo. You shouldve also tried the VR. To me its a great game.

RE7 has received universally praise for putting the series in a new refreshing road, like RE4, by critics and fans alike, but obviously like RE4, not everyone likes it.

I agree however about RE4 being the better game, because it is the best RE game. Its the best paced RE game, its the pure funnest RE game but I can see why people who love the originals wouldnt like it.

Wow so thats how it is, being reductive when it suits you and dont like a game? The same could be said for nearly all of the RE games, hell RE4 puzzles are rarely puzzles, just little pace changers that take 2-3 seconds to do. There is a lot of backtracking, revisiting same places etc in earlier RE games aswell and inane and nonsensical puzzles in all of RE games.

RE4 is leaning more towards the action than the survival horror, infact other than the tunnels, and early in the game, the game didnt have that survival horror feel at all, it plays like an amazing action game than a survival horror game which RE7 does.

Youre not meant to feel like Rambo, suplexing granados, face kicking monsters and TMPing bosses.

RE games usually have weak stories too but characters people like. I thought the Baker family were strongly written, and the PC is a sit in for us, the player, so yeah you could dock points here but same goes for other RE games.

You can say you dont like a game but nitpicking faults with it when youve enjoyed it in other games is asinine imo. You shouldve also tried the VR. To me its a great game.

RE7 has received universally praise for putting the series in a new refreshing road, like RE4, by critics and fans alike, but obviously like RE4, not everyone likes it.

I agree however about RE4 being the better game, because it is the best RE game. Its the best paced RE game, its the pure funnest RE game but I can see why people who love the originals wouldnt like it.
My subjective opinion isn't wrong just because it doesn't match yours. Didn't say you're not allowed to enjoy it. The other games have backtracking, but the combat isn't absolutely fucking terrible so it doesn't feel as monotonous. If someone else wants to replay running from Pa Baker through most of the first act, and the "puzzles" with brother baker, more power to them. I didn't enjoy it much the first time thru, and could not imagine wanting to replay that content already knowing all the story beats.

None of the games really have a great story, but are endlessly replayable because of the atmosphere and gameplay. And to some extent the characters. To me, the combat is absolutely awful for an fps, and outside of Pa Baker none of the characters are memorable or interesting. The main character is a blank slate. Mia is a fucking sociopath but is treated like a protagonist. Zoe has no character whatsoever. They miss the chance to have a layered and sympathetic villain. They even start to go in that direction but seem to just give up on having a compelling narrative. The ENTIRETY of the last act is boring fetch this key, open a door, now go fetch that key, rinse and repeat. The enemy variety is nonexistent. Hey look another mold monster, then another mold monster, then another mold monster. Hey guess what now that you're in the final act? Another. Fucking. Mold. Monster.

Fuck that game for real. So derivative and merely switching to first person doesn't change that at all.

My subjective opinion isn't wrong just because it doesn't match yours. Didn't say you're not allowed to enjoy it. The other games have backtracking, but the combat isn't absolutely fucking terrible so it doesn't feel as monotonous. If someone else wants to replay running from Pa Baker through most of the first act, and the "puzzles" with brother baker, more power to them. I didn't enjoy it much the first time thru, and could not imagine wanting to replay that content already knowing all the story beats.

None of the games really have a great story, but are endlessly replayable because of the atmosphere and gameplay. And to some extent the characters. To me, the combat is absolutely awful for an fps, and outside of Pa Baker none of the characters are memorable or interesting. The main character is a blank slate. Mia is a fucking sociopath but is treated like a protagonist. Zoe has no character whatsoever. They miss the chance to have a layered and sympathetic villain. They even start to go in that direction but seem to just give up on having a compelling narrative. The ENTIRETY of the last act is boring fetch this key, open a door, now go fetch that key, rinse and repeat. The enemy variety is nonexistent. Hey look another mold monster, then another mold monster, then another mold monster. Hey guess what now that you're in the final act? Another. Fucking. Mold. Monster.

Fuck that game for real. So derivative and merely switching to first person doesn't change that at all.

I never said you were wrong, I never even said you had to like the game and that it was fine to dislike it. But youre reductionist argument can be used for every RE game. And I assume you like RE5, and thats the most derivative of the lot. Im just saying the change in direction and return to the survival horror route is the right thing. But every game can be reduced to go here, shoot this, pick this up etc, but maybe because you found it boring and monotonous, this was amplified.

To me the character writing was pretty good especially the dad and Jack Baker. The environmental storytelling about how disturbed Jack is and how, unlike the other family member who are controlled by the mold, he was just fucked up serial killer ever since he was a kid. Zoe was more or less a plot device used to move the story forward, she is a call to action in most of the game and I agree she shouldve been written better.

I also agree with the replayability, its probably the least replayable RE of the lot because of the cutscenes etc that are unskippable. The boat sequence is mainly boring on repeat playthroughs, the enemy variety is lacking but because of the leanness of majoirty of the game, it just worked. The ending run through the tunnels and swamps reminds me of RE4 when youre making your ay through the area with the helicopter.

I just think there are other areas you could criticise the game on other than "it felt like go here, pick this up" etc but the story, gameplay etc because those arguments are used for every game people dont like and it gets tiresome and feels like people sprout it when they dont really have any critical insight on why they dislike the game and repeat the same mundane criticism for every game by saying the shit I mentioned before. I just think its lazy.

You fixed this by mentioning the character writing, the enemy variety etc, and thats all I wanted.

Last edited:
I never said you were wrong, I never even said you had to like the game and that it was fine to dislike it. But youre reductionist argument can be used for every RE game. And I assume you like RE5, and thats the most derivative of the lot. Im just saying the change in direction and return to the survival horror route is the right thing. But every game can be reduced to go here, shoot this, pick this up etc, but maybe because you found it boring and monotonous, this was amplified.

To me the character writing was pretty good especially the dad and Jack Baker. The environmental storytelling about how disturbed Jack is and how, unlike the other family member who are controlled by the mold, he was just fucked up serial killer ever since he was a kid. Zoe was more or less a plot device used to move the story forward, she is a call to action in most of the game and I agree she shouldve been written better.

I also agree with the replayability, its probably the least replayable RE of the lot because of the cutscenes etc that are unskippable. The boat sequence is mainly boring on repeat playthroughs, the enemy variety is lacking but because of the leanness of majoirty of the game, it just worked. The ending run through the tunnels and swamps reminds me of RE4 when youre making your ay through the area with the helicopter.

Yeah I said in my other post there are derivative bits and fetch quests in all of the games, but I enjoyed the combat in those so it was fine. Being asked to take a long trek through a previous area is one thing when you genuinely enjoy the combat. But when you hate the combat, constantly retreading areas is just annoying. I did like the atmosphere and some elements of the story, but overall I was just rushing through it so I could check it off the list and move on to other games. A big disappointment because up until RE6 it was my favorite franchise, and now there are two games in a row I just really hated.

For me it's similar to when they started radically changing the Final Fantasy games, and I had to abandon a franchise I'd played since childhood. Just a bummer.

FYI, if you are a huge RE4 fan, another big release for the graphics overhaul is set for July 13th. I followed these guy are almost 4 years now and it's damn impressive that they kept up with these texture updates. The first release was literally over 3 years ago and I made a thread about it then.

This latest release updates the Undergound Labs and Island levels but also improves things across the board like lighting, cutscenes, and also mercs and Ada's chapters. As of now, you can download the Village and Castle releases.

Are they keeping the same movement/Control scheme? I loved RE 1, 2, Code Veronica, but once 4 came around, I couldn't play with that limited control system anymore, namely not being able to walk and shoot.

I actually think RE5 is the most underrated in the series. RE6 was ok but imo was actually a step backward in many regards.

RE5 had the best inventory management, a single shared weapons cache, insane graphics (better than 6 imo), and Wesker. I've actually logged more hours on 5 than I have on 4 and 6 combined.

5 was amazing it also had a great local coop.

I didn't like it either. It was scary but mostly due to abundant jump scares and the new characters are lame.

An enemy randomizer mod just came out for the PC version of REmake (yes, that includes the bees and sharks).

An enemy randomizer mod just came out for the PC version of REmake (yes, that includes the bees and sharks).

Lol, didn't realize it was an enemy randomizer. I'll have to check that out.

The RE4 Texture overhaul is live. I'm definitely going to try it this weekend. RE4 is so damn long though, I doubt I'll even make it to the island.

The mod is a monster at 28GB, which is roughly the size of the base game. EDIT, that is 28GB compressed. It may very well be over 35GB in total.

http://www.re4hd.com

Last edited:
Are they keeping the same movement/Control scheme? I loved RE 1, 2, Code Veronica, but once 4 came around, I couldn't play with that limited control system anymore, namely not being able to walk and shoot.

It doesn't affect controls, just graphics. But it's fuckin glorious and will make RE4 feel like it was released only a few years ago.

I finally downloaded the thing. It was a bitch to install, much more than last time. I forgot that Steam keeps your saves even when you uninstall the game so I started in the castle and the textures did not disappoint. Those 2 guys are awesome. Check out the detail in the paintings. I just had to put down the controller and hit F12.

These guys were actually able to track down the real life source material for many of these scenes and it just goes to show you that the graphic artists were not at all fully appreciated in games until just recently. The hardware just couldn't render their true details. They probably still can't to be honest.

E7DF227BDFDC36285C1C5C4E1902C40D45680FD2

DCDE6230AE2572086952D33109E295472D762FD9

Last edited:
Ehhh, zombie police officer would have been better than Leon.

Still going with the deluxe.

I was hoping "original version soundtrack swap" was the original RE2, aka 1.5. Only one track from that made it into 2 and it's the best one. Just sounds so creepy.

While we wait for the RE2 reboot. RE4 is looking nice with the new mod release. I'm 11 hours in and the castle start. That's crazy considering it's only 1/3 of the game. I'm a huge RE5 fan but the pure length of RE4 is amazing compared to 1/2/3. Shit, 2 was easily the shortest on the 2nd playthrough.

Some more of my screenshots. It looks just a little bit better than the gamecube version we originally played. :)

9AA08D886E3356B7E09D9216F352C8D5B25575C1

4D9CDEBF94F10406D508C80DDA7E2F2B21729753

34B2711C0C4049F1B02188A54A3C911FD3A877DA

50D64351E27DBBAF015B11F0E87DBFB9FDB4A7D4

6831FFF784635E940E1B1C6CE319279F1F058032

A8668760937ADB2EC3CFA97E6CC529E338CC1AB8

8307FB7143CD00A4C3D256E34D0E420E251F0973

6C7DB709F86388C7D569DD129AC7DB532C6FD112

5462E4F9F082764257EEF654CDFB79D4B1F916F0

ADFA0586190BEB40D4C8B028BD4A25768BE52EB9

F0A4A19402F690C08C72E037B9FDF6A1A8D6B77E

6F93FF006385283E12DAE233943977F201E47535

D9833673776F4C6EC4F388ABB0F0F50776C3D9CA

[
A2F0BF337225427A7330776DD716518691174077

/SPOILER]

C74BA0D34ED9785A6D8B3A029E2E65D5BD0F2FE7

2C57108DAB04D1B6542E8F4BDADF510E1A68543C

Last edited:

How's the dlc?

I'm. Tempted to buy it all for like $30 but like scary parts lmao.

I've become a big wuss lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back