Bag work any advice appreciated.

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Ok this is the first time I've filmed bag work, and it wasn't the best bag work, I felt like their were some things wrong with it, I feel like if I was doing kicks and punches on the bag it would've looked a lot better. Anyways any advice is greatly appreciated (constructive criticism and feedback would be great don't just say "your bag work is trash" tell me how and what I need to improve on I will not flame anybody for giving constructive criticism)

I have recently signed up for the fire fighter exam and lost my job at the warehouse (basically allegedly I was not doing any work and they thought I was conning them when I told them why I wasn't able to do work, well on to the next), but that's besides the point. If anybody can give me advice on the overhand and rhythm manipulation, anything that might help, please provide a video or pictures or even gif's that might help, and explain what I can do better.

I was going to go to a gym in south jersey but I can't now, because i lost that job, i don't know what i meant to do in this life all i know is anything i end up with it will involve some physical and some combat. I will go to that gym when I have the money.

Last edited:
One other thing, because sometimes I forget to put some information in my threads, I was kind of working on 2 things rhythm manipulation, and the overhand. I picked up a little bit of the rhythm manipulation from watching Jorge masvidal, and learnt the overhand properly from tyron woodley, I wasn't working on footwork but I did try to incorporate some in this video.

If anybody has any advice on rhythm manipulation that would be nice, and if anyone has some ways to set up the over hand, that would greatly be appreciated. I know this wasn't the best bag work video but it's still something critique it if you want. But give me some pointers too.

Last edited:
so you dont look bad in the video at all, better than not training at all right? And as I tell everyone that trains, if you continue to train, you will surely improve. A mountain is moved one stone at a time.

That being said, you are very stiff, it seems you have the general idea of how a proper punch should be thrown, using the hips etc, but before you begin to focus on that, I would go back to the very basics, because again you are very stiff. This is something an actual in person coach would have to help you change, my only suggestion would be to just go back to the 1-2, focus purely on technique, speed, and getting a "pop" in your punches, do not worry about power, try and relax. Shadow box 1-2's, hit the bag 1-2's, focusing on speed, technique, and snapping your punches, no power.

so you dont look bad in the video at all, better than not training at all right? And as I tell everyone that trains, if you continue to train, you will surely improve. A mountain is moved one stone at a time.

That being said, you are very stiff, it seems you have the general idea of how a proper punch should be thrown, using the hips etc, but before you begin to focus on that, I would go back to the very basics, because again you are very stiff. This is something an actual in person coach would have to help you change, my only suggestion would be to just go back to the 1-2, focus purely on technique, speed, and getting a "pop" in your punches, do not worry about power, try and relax. Shadow box 1-2's, hit the bag 1-2's, focusing on speed, technique, and snapping your punches, no power.

Alright, should I still practice the overhand in shadowboxing? I always feel weird doing the overhand in shadowboxing for some reason that's why I think I'm doing it wrong.

nope just 1-2's

your punches are not crisp, it will be better to have a good crisp 1-2, than lesser quality everything.

Alot of times your weight is too forward, if the bag wasn't there, you'd face plant. Keep your weight centered

Alot of times your weight is too forward, if the bag wasn't there, you'd face plant. Keep your weight centered

Ok should i lean a little bit or should I just step forward?

Step. Use your feet instead to reaching. Do alot more shadow boxing, you'll learn more with this

Ok I can tell I'm out of practice, even the guy I was training with said I have to go back to basics, 5 years of training and then a year of inactivity really gets to you.

There is so so much you need to work on I cba typing them all out

Something what needs fixing really badly though is that pause you do after you land your final punch, you leave the punch sitting on the bag

There is so so much you need to work on I cba typing them all out

Something what needs fixing really badly though is that pause you do after you land your final punch, you leave the punch sitting on the bag

Elaborate more on that. Should I move out of the way? Or should I do some kind of defense mechanism?

A simple cue I used to gave my students to help them understand the concept of "snapping" the punches was to imagine having to punch through the water coming down from the shower WITHOUT wetting your hands. I also catch mosquitoes whenever I see them and I'm not even trolling

Elaborate more on that. Should I move out of the way? Or should I do some kind of defense mechanism?

You should pull your hand back to your chin, the main time you can ever be hit is when youre hands are out throwing a punch so you want to bring them back just as fast as you throw.

Instead of bringing them instantly back after you land, you stand there for a second, kind of posing. Imagine what youre punching is burning hot, land the punch and get your hand off it, back to being your guard as quick as you can

You should pull your hand back to your chin, the main time you can ever be hit is when youre hands are out throwing a punch so you want to bring them back just as fast as you throw.

Instead of bringing them instantly back after you land, you stand there for a second, kind of posing. Imagine what youre punching is burning hot, land the punch and get your hand off it, back to being your guard as quick as you can

Alright.

A simple cue I used to gave my students to help them understand the concept of "snapping" the punches was to imagine having to punch through the water coming down from the shower WITHOUT wetting your hands. I also catch mosquitoes whenever I see them and I'm not even trolling

Your going to have to use a different analogy, because I don't know what you mean by that lol?

Edit: I just read it again and now i know what you meant

One problem I had when I was training was when I was hitting the bag, I would always have that posing jab or cross, i think i do it with the hook sometimes too, but when I was sparring or shadowboxing I wouldn't hold out the jab or the cross.

I will post videos up of my progress too today I just decided to do hands, tomorrow I might do muay thai and do 3 rounds of thai boxing or 1 round of hands and 2 rounds of thai boxing.

If anyone has anymore input on the video, let me know.

I tried to timestamp it for you. Lets hope it works! Have fun!

From what I saw shincheckin hit the nail on the head. Stick to the basics, keep it simple. On the side you can try to learn and teach your body how to express/apply power (speed+strength) and quickness. There are a million ways to develop that, it should be a good time for you

I tried to timestamp it for you. Lets hope it works! Have fun!

From what I saw shincheckin hit the nail on the head. Stick to the basics, keep it simple. On the side you can try to learn and teach your body how to express/apply power (speed+strength) and quickness. There are a million ways to develop that, it should be a good time for you

Ok I kind of don't understand how those exercises help, but I'll give it a shot. My training partners very limited, because one of them is not able to train that much because of his music career and the other barely shows up to the Y which is the gym I am training at, I am training myself so my resources are very limited. I will switch to a muay thai gym in the next few months.

Ok this is the first time I've filmed bag work, and it wasn't the best bag work, I felt like their were some things wrong with it, I feel like if I was doing kicks and punches on the bag it would've looked a lot better. Anyways any advice is greatly appreciated (constructive criticism and feedback would be great don't just say "your bag work is trash" tell me how and what I need to improve on I will not flame anybody for giving constructive criticism)

I have recently signed up for the fire fighter exam and lost my job at the warehouse (basically allegedly I was not doing any work and they thought I was conning them when I told them why I wasn't able to do work, well on to the next), but that's besides the point. If anybody can give me advice on the overhand and rhythm manipulation, anything that might help, please provide a video or pictures or even gif's that might help, and explain what I can do better.

I was going to go to a gym in south jersey but I can't now, because i lost that job, i don't know what i meant to do in this life all i know is anything i end up with it will involve some physical and some combat. I will go to that gym when I have the money.

Engage your hips dude. Like a split second before you throw your arm do a miniature pelvic thrust almost. The idea is to get elastic recoil in your hips. More power.

Back