Who had the best straight rear punch?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
In the history of boxing, who had the best straight punch without any set ups, just by themselves?

latest

I think you mean a straight lead... When a boxer "leads" with his strong hand from an orthodox position (the hand furthest from the opponent).

Tommy Hearns comes to mind.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has/had a good one.

Floyd, IMO although he was most effective with it as a counter.

Bob Foster had a murderous right hand.

Galaxy and Pac were both had mean left straights. Some of the deadliest punches in the sports history.

Last edited:
Floyd, IMO although he was most effective with it as a counter.

Bob Foster had a murderous right hand.
If I remember correctly he fired off 3 straight rights on Zab Judah. Hard to do in general. Harder to do on someone who has speed.

I don't think anyone has had an easier time landing their lead right hand than Roy Jones Jr.

If I remember correctly he fired off 3 straight rights on Zab Judah. Hard to do in general. Harder to do on someone who has speed.

How he KO'd either Jukko or Ndou too. I can't remember which it was and have no idea why I confuse the two fights, but three straight-rights did the trick.

I don't think anyone has had an easier time landing their lead right hand than Roy Jones Jr.

He could hit you with a 100lb disco ball and you still wouldn't see it coming.

Floyd's lead rights gave everyone trouble and he fired them off like pistons. Not the most devastating but one of the most effective for sure.

Foster and Pac are up there for most devastating

Bob Fitzsimmons seems to have thrown his straight right like a karate rear step-through punch, which also helped him set himself for his left shift to the body and head.

The right may not have been the strongest single punch in his arsenal, but he used it as a lead punch that was integral to one of his best combinations.

He'd set it up with feints though. Just like all his other punches.

No love for Randall Bailey ?

Most Lethal : Tommy Hearns

Most Variable : Erik Morales

Most Relentless : Manny Paquiao

Most Sneakiest : Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Most Fastest : Roy Jones Jr.

Most Savagest : Ray Leonard

Most Elegant : Alex Arguello

Straight right? Joe Louis.

Compact, powerful, sharp, accurate. Fired from a balanced stance. People crumpled under it. No chance anyone else gets mentioned in this conversation.

In today's world, we gotta keep Kov, Stevenson, and Sor Rungvisai in our minds

In today's world, we gotta keep Kov, Stevenson, and Sor Rungvisai in our minds

I think Sor Rungvisai's best punch is his right hook, actually. He gets excellent leverage on it. Same actually goes for the aforementioned Foster (he could kill you with either hand, but Foster slept durable guys with his left hook). Stevenson is probably the best example. Rocket of a left hand and decent footwork with not a whole lot else happening.

Back