Kurt Osiander not teaching at Ralph Gracie SF anymore

So is it true Ralph sold his school to Gracie Barra?

Fall outs happen all the time. It’s not the first time and it’s not the last. It’s sad that this happened but it might be best for everyone involved that it did.
Nope he clearly says that he did not sell the gym

Well it depends on how quickly he opens his new gym. Then we would have a better idea on whos story is true. It takes time to find a location, negotiate the contract, get all of your paperwork right, get the interior done, ect. If this school opens quickly ; I think we will have a better idea.

Heard about "issues" months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt hadn't already gotten started on the move awhile ago.

The GB rumor comes from one of the new black belts being a former GB black belt. He did switch teams to Ralph Gracie And for personal reasons that can be found on Facebook if you really wanted to find out. No need to speculate.

Heard about "issues" months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt hadn't already gotten started on the move awhile ago.

Didnt kurt say that he was fired out of the blue? That there was no warning. Well it seems that ralphs story is supported by the timing of opening the school. I'm not saying one cant find a location, get most of the interior done, get all of the paperwork done, get the website set up quickly. Usually it takes longer.

Didnt kurt say that he was fired out of the blue? That there was no warning. Well it seems that ralphs story is supported by the timing of opening the school. I'm not saying one cant find a location, get most of the interior done, get all of the paperwork done, get the website set up quickly. Usually it takes longer.

I "heard" (meaning I can in no way confirm it) that months ago, there were changes made concerning the running of the school and what other BB instructors were or were not able to do. If what I heard was true, then I can see an adult wanting to not deal with it and start looking for an out. Who knows though.

Don't have a side, never met either of them, but people I know have trained with them a lot and have been on good terms with them.

I "heard" (meaning I can in no way confirm it) that months ago, there were changes made concerning the running of the school and what other BB instructors were or were not able to do. If what I heard was true, then I can see an adult wanting to not deal with it and start looking for an out. Who knows though.

Don't have a side, never met either of them, but people I know have trained with them a lot and have been on good terms with them.

It all depends on whar he said. I cant find the original statement. It sounded like he claimed that he was fired out of the blue.

If we can find his original statement and he says he was fired without warning then I would put more credibility to Ralph's story. Again, one can open up a brand new school without any prep time. It is very unlikely though.

Oh yeah, I'm not defending his "fired out of the blue" statement. In fact, I'd be more inclined to say that's all bullshit and he read the writing on the wall around late winter early spring of this year and he started talking to friends about what was going on. Made his decision then and started to look for a place.

Oh yeah, I'm not defending his "fired out of the blue" statement. In fact, I'd be more inclined to say that's all bullshit and he read the writing on the wall around late winter early spring of this year and he started talking to friends about what was going on. Made his decision then and started to look for a place.

So you think it was premeditated and Ralph's story is true?

So you think it was premeditated and Ralph's story is true?

I haven't seen where any details of the changes have been made public, but if what I heard was true then I know me personally, I would have started finding a way out.

The GB rumor comes from one of the new black belts being a former GB black belt. He did switch teams to Ralph Gracie And for personal reasons that can be found on Facebook if you really wanted to find out. No need to speculate.

Jerry coming from Gracie Barra is the new instructor.

Any more details on this yet? Seems like a sad situation all round.

Any more details on this yet? Seems like a sad situation all round.

Seems like all the details are already out. For months Ralph has been telling Kurt that he wants him to turn down the rockstar bad boy persona. In the last couple of years Kurt has really become the face of the organization. And Kurt has not been shy about doing things like giving drunk interviews, cursing up a storm at his school and blasting metal music. Ralph has been saying he wants to revamp the RG image to reflect the old traditional martial arts ways. Although the other locations are pretty family friendly, the SF location (and specifically Kurt) isn’t putting out what Ralph considers a family vibe.

Ralph has always brought guys in from Brazil and all over to stay for periods of time to either train or help teach. But this time something was different. The guy they brought in is not only the anti-Kurt (super straight edge) but also a 4th degree blackbelt with (from what I hear) a leadership quality about him and the guy was slowly taking on a bigger role. Kurt saw the writing on the wall a while ago.

So didnKurt get fired? Not that I know of. Did he get pushed out? Sounds like it.

I saw pictures of Empire BJJ their first week open and it looks like their mats are already full. I can see lots more eventually jumping ship. Afterall, most people are loyal to their instructor, not the building they teach in.

Are people actually attracted to the drunky dirty old guy image Kurt projects?

Kurt is fun to be around. He’s not that zen like monk where you can’t joke around with. It’s a fun environment. I’ve trained at gyms where the instructor is super strict. No talking during technique. No music, ever. Even during open mat. It’s just a fun place to train and also hang out at.

Make no mistake though, they train hard af. Legendary warmups and everyone rolls hard. Kurt won’t let you sit out rounds (unless you have a really good reason) and he won’t let stall out the clock because you’re tired either.

Kurt runs a great gym. His students love him.

It's not that he's a "drunk dirty old guy", but someone who is very genuine, and that's endearing. Compare that to the "Bow to your sensei" "recite the school credo" "count out in Portuguese" TMA mindset, which normally creates a stiff environment. Some people like a loose environment, some people like the rigid order. Either way everyone is training hard, just a matter of different strokes.

Super hard warm ups suck and are IMHO just stupid.

Agreed. I passed on joining a school because of their warm-ups. Spending close to 20 mins just warming up in an hour long class. The next school had a nice quick warm up session and move on with class.

Back