What are you playing now? v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant wait to hear your experiences of BB, enjoy the game. The DLC may be even better than the base game, just take your time. Vaati's vids will make you love the game even more.
Currently treading water at the impassable bag of bones that is Orphan of Kos. This cat's moves are OP AF, with his move-set for phase 2 besting me all afternoon. I walked up on him with my Holy Blade dressed to the nines in gem fortifications and alongside a +10 levelling; I have no excuses not to lay his body to the care of waterfowl and currents...but alas, I have yet to prove my Hunter's worth.

Lady Maria was hot, BTW...but I had to introduce her entrails to the floor.

bloodborne__lady_maria_by_atutcha-db0axif.jpg

Currently treading water at the impassable bag of bones that is Orphan of Kos. This cat's moves are OP AF, with his move-set for phase 2 besting me all afternoon. I walked up on him with my Holy Blade dressed to the nines in gem fortifications and alongside a +10 levelling; I have no excuses not to lay his body to the care of waterfowl and currents...but alas, I have yet to prove my Hunter's worth.

Lady Maria was hot, BTW...but I had to introduce her entrails to the floor.

One of my favorite bosses in the game, KOS is just patience, he does everythiing super quick so you need a quick weapon, I used a fully upgraded saw cleaver, as I was using the moonlight blade before.

Kos is just timing, and moving towards him. How did you like the fish hamlet? And those giant sharks?

One of my favorite bosses in the game, KOS is just patience, he does everythiing super quick so you need a quick weapon, I used a fully upgraded saw cleaver, as I was using the moonlight blade before.

Kos is just timing, and moving towards him. How did you like the fish hamlet? And those giant sharks?
Dude, the hamlet was rough. When I walked up on it from behind the Clocktower, I thought (read: hoped) it’d be abandoned...nope, lol. Got ambushed and put down many a time. Ended up making a few scouting suicide-runs to reconnoitre the area and get what loot I could - blood stone chunks galore. Of course I find the well shortcut when I no longer needed it.

And I’ll take a bow here: put Kos six-feet deep last night. Epic battle and like you said, he has off-timed attacks that make for a hostile back and forth; his main weapon changing up ranges so dynamically is also a ball-buster. A lot of guys rage-quit over him, I’ve read. I ended up taking the fight to sea, staying off the sandbanks where I felt he could walk me down easier. Rallying like a savage for HP is what kept me alive; guy’s hard as hell.

Still haven’t beat the shark giant! He and his anchor can go jump off a cliff though. Does he drop anything good?

Dude, the hamlet was rough. When I walked up on it from behind the Clocktower, I thought (read: hoped) it’d be abandoned...nope, lol. Got ambushed and put down many a time. Ended up making a few scouting suicide-runs to reconnoitre the area and get what loot I could - blood stone chunks galore. Of course I find the well shortcut when I no longer needed it.

And I’ll take a bow here: put Kos six-feet deep last night. Epic battle and like you said, he has off-timed attacks that make for a hostile back and forth; his main weapon changing up ranges so dynamically is also a ball-buster. A lot of guys rage-quit over him, I’ve read. I ended up taking the fight to sea, staying off the sandbanks where I felt he could walk me down easier. Rallying like a savage for HP is what kept me alive; guy’s hard as hell.

Still haven’t beat the shark giant! He and his anchor can go jump off a cliff though. Does he drop anything good?

Nice one. Kos is a sumbitch, nearly tore my hair out. Definitely the hardest boss alongside Nameless King from DS3 and O+S from DS1.

Well the sharks are so damn hard, there are two of em in a well aswell and they drop a Katana iirc, and theyre surrounded by those frenzy bitches so that whole place is cancerous. Worth it for the sword and just so I could stay in that dreary setting for longer because lets face it, you wont be visiting a similar place in other games currently.

Bloodborne is one of my top 3 games of all time so I get real excited talking about it. I love everything about it from the gameplay (games with fantastic gameplay could be replayed many times, compared to narrative driven games), the setting and Lovecraftian survival horror feel, the lore (Vaati videos aswell as other youtube videos) makes me appreciate the game even more. It Probably the only game from this gen that I love everything about, not every game is perfect and it has flaws but so does TLOU and Resident Evil 4, and that doesnt stop them from being masterpieces.

What did you think of BB + The old hunters as a whole?

Do you want any recommendations on which games to go next? Id start with DS1 if you havent played it, its vastly slower in terms of gameplay, feels a bit dated but is up there with BB as the "games", but the core gameplay loop, the bosses, the lore and the level design (bhere you ant to be in is no issue here as you could run everywhere within seconds and teleport, once you get the ability, to anywhere youve visiy far the best designed souls game in terms of the world). Some issues like teleporting to the hunters dream and then teleporting again to wted. You literally dont even need to use a bonfire.

If you thought BB was a 9+/10 game, play DS1 if you havent, I also recall saying you want to try DS3 so thats not a bad option.

Nice one. Kos is a sumbitch, nearly tore my hair out. Definitely the hardest boss alongside Nameless King from DS3 and O+S from DS1.

Well the sharks are so damn hard, there are two of em in a well aswell and they drop a Katana iirc, and theyre surrounded by those frenzy bitches so that whole place is cancerous. Worth it for the sword and just so I could stay in that dreary setting for longer because lets face it, you wont be visiting a similar place in other games currently.

Bloodborne is one of my top 3 games of all time so I get real excited talking about it. I love everything about it from the gameplay (games with fantastic gameplay could be replayed many times, compared to narrative driven games), the setting and Lovecraftian survival horror feel, the lore (Vaati videos aswell as other youtube videos) makes me appreciate the game even more. It Probably the only game from this gen that I love everything about, not every game is perfect and it has flaws but so does TLOU and Resident Evil 4, and that doesnt stop them from being masterpieces.

What did you think of BB + The old hunters as a whole?

Do you want any recommendations on which games to go next? Id start with DS1 if you havent played it, its vastly slower in terms of gameplay, feels a bit dated but is up there with BB as the "games", but the core gameplay loop, the bosses, the lore and the level design (bhere you ant to be in is no issue here as you could run everywhere within seconds and teleport, once you get the ability, to anywhere youve visiy far the best designed souls game in terms of the world). Some issues like teleporting to the hunters dream and then teleporting again to wted. You literally dont even need to use a bonfire.

If you thought BB was a 9+/10 game, play DS1 if you havent, I also recall saying you want to try DS3 so thats not a bad option.
While my Moonlight sword feels like a third arm at this point, will be making a run at the shark giant then for his drop; the two of them and also those frenzying jelly-heads (beak mask + ashen kit all day) do make for a headache. I’d rather fight Kos again, haha...well, almost.

What was your go-to armour setup throughout? I liked the Harrowed gear and also Choir a lot.

I have my heart set on DS3 as a follow-up and would love to bounce thoughts off you throughout the journey but I know I need take down DS1 at some point - to earn my stripes if nothing else. I saw a few trailers and snippets of DS3 last year and it took my breath away, so that’s why I’m partial to it. I’m hoping I can translate some of my more honed Hunter mechanics into a warrior worthy of that world.

I have AC Origins on my desk right now but I’m tempted to take recommendations for other journeys complementary to Bb and DS3. Feel you 100 on Bloodborne’s world. Lovecraft is a perfect reference point but I also get an HR Giger feel at times; the layered silence around every corner was intoxicating and my 4K TV made sure it was as real and uncomfortable as possible, lol.

I felt the DLC helped flesh out the base-game story for me à la the Church’s experiments and cover-ups. My takeaway from all of it is that the real beast is humanity itself.

While my Moonlight sword feels like a third arm at this point, will be making a run at the shark giant then for his drop; the two of them and also those frenzying jelly-heads (beak mask + ashen kit all day) do make for a headache. I’d rather fight Kos again, haha...well, almost.

What was your go-to armour setup throughout? I liked the Harrowed gear and also Choir a lot.

I have my heart set on DS3 as a follow-up and would love to bounce thoughts off you throughout the journey but I know I need take down DS1 at some point - to earn my stripes if nothing else. I saw a few trailers and snippets of DS3 last year and it took my breath away, so that’s why I’m partial to it. I’m hoping I can translate some of my more honed Hunter mechanics into a warrior worthy of that world.

I have AC Origins on my desk right now but I’m tempted to take recommendations for other journeys complementary to Bb and DS3. Feel you 100 on Bloodborne’s world. Lovecraft is a perfect reference point but I also get an HR Giger feel at times; the layered silence around every corner was intoxicating and my 4K TV made sure it was as real and uncomfortable as possible, lol.

I felt the DLC helped flesh out the base-game story for me à la the Church’s experiments and cover-ups. My takeaway from all of it is that the real beast is humanity itself.

Honestly its been a while since Ive actually played it but there's a reason its called souls fashion, it really doesnt mater what you wear, as the effects are mostly minimal. I tried to look as cool as possible, I remember wearing the choir cape, Micolash's cage hat thing, etc.

One thing I love about BB is the soundtrack and just the epic boss battle music. The swelling in the orchestral soundtrack after Ludwig says "You were there all along, my guiding moonlight" and the boss battle resume's is still a highlight for me. Its so hard to appreciate whilst youre in the midst of battle, sweating and focused, but the soundtrack is amazing.

DS3 is a logical next step, it doesnt have the speed of BB but its the fastest souls game and the bosses usually have 2-3 stages. Youre gonna be using more shields/rolling than the quick steps of BB, but DS1 is my 1b to Bloodborne's 1a, its so good, so definitely play that sometime, theyve even got a remaster out for it on the current gen consoles. There are gonna be some returns to familiar areas from DS1 in DS3, so you wouldnt have that "Aha!, I know this area" and the nostalgia wouldnt hit but Im guessing you'd still have those playing DS1 after DS3.

Its easier getting into a rhythm when the gameplay if finely tuned for the obstacles youre gonna face, and thats mostly true for DS1 and BB, and not so much DS3. Some bosses just feel designed for BB and others designed for DS1 but I digress, youre gonna like DS3 too.

Honestly, its hard to recommend games after playing the souls games but you got 3 instalments left to play, so take your time etc. Play other games in-between to cleanse your palette, etc. If you really liked the survival horror aspect, I recommend RE7, its first person, but the feeling of dread and hopelessness occurs throughout the game instead of short bursts in BB and it acts as a palette cleanser for the next DS games as its different. RE7 is a great game to boot aswell.

Check out Sekiro, its gonna come out next year and its a slightly different formula to the souls experience but its fromsoftware, they wont disappoint. Look forward to that. There will be more verticality, an open world, and no rpg(levelling up elements), in a samurai setting. I for one am excited aswell just for the setting.

Check out Ghosts, its gorgeous, seems to have great combat and SP releases great games, again its coming out later so you could still get through your backlog of games. Graphically looks better than Sekiro and looks like an Kurasawa movie in parts.

Holy wall of texts in here...

Playing through Shadow Complex Remastered. I really enjoyed the 2009 version so when I saw it on Gamepass I was pretty stoked to dive in.

The targeting and platforming can get frustrating but I think that's being unfair cause, it's a metroidvania game. I guess that's part of the game. The voice acting is cringe and story is very cheesy, but if you can overcome that and the piss poor targeting in background/ foreground 2.5d sections, it's an underrated gem.

Will do an Insurgent Run and grab a few more cheevos and move on.

Then move back to Dirt Rally. That is the kind of frustrating I like. It's very unforgiving at first, even for vets. But the game is so well polished you keep striving. I feel myself getting better and faster each stage I do as well. The physics and lack of HUD really immerses you. The co-pilots pace notes are definitely a yuge curve to overcome coming from arcade sims like the Horizon series.

Last edited:
Was working offshore for a week, home now and gonna get back into FFXV i think i only have around 8hrs played. Loving it so far.

Honestly its been a while since Ive actually played it but there's a reason its called souls fashion, it really doesnt mater what you wear, as the effects are mostly minimal. I tried to look as cool as possible, I remember wearing the choir cape, Micolash's cage hat thing, etc.

One thing I love about BB is the soundtrack and just the epic boss battle music. The swelling in the orchestral soundtrack after Ludwig says "You were there all along, my guiding moonlight" and the boss battle resume's is still a highlight for me. Its so hard to appreciate whilst youre in the midst of battle, sweating and focused, but the soundtrack is amazing.

DS3 is a logical next step, it doesnt have the speed of BB but its the fastest souls game and the bosses usually have 2-3 stages. Youre gonna be using more shields/rolling than the quick steps of BB, but DS1 is my 1b to Bloodborne's 1a, its so good, so definitely play that sometime, theyve even got a remaster out for it on the current gen consoles. There are gonna be some returns to familiar areas from DS1 in DS3, so you wouldnt have that "Aha!, I know this area" and the nostalgia wouldnt hit but Im guessing you'd still have those playing DS1 after DS3.

Its easier getting into a rhythm when the gameplay if finely tuned for the obstacles youre gonna face, and thats mostly true for DS1 and BB, and not so much DS3. Some bosses just feel designed for BB and others designed for DS1 but I digress, youre gonna like DS3 too.

Honestly, its hard to recommend games after playing the souls games but you got 3 instalments left to play, so take your time etc. Play other games in-between to cleanse your palette, etc. If you really liked the survival horror aspect, I recommend RE7, its first person, but the feeling of dread and hopelessness occurs throughout the game instead of short bursts in BB and it acts as a palette cleanser for the next DS games as its different. RE7 is a great game to boot aswell.

Check out Sekiro, its gonna come out next year and its a slightly different formula to the souls experience but its fromsoftware, they wont disappoint. Look forward to that. There will be more verticality, an open world, and no rpg(levelling up elements), in a samurai setting. I for one am excited aswell just for the setting.

Check out Ghosts, its gorgeous, seems to have great combat and SP releases great games, again its coming out later so you could still get through your backlog of games. Graphically looks better than Sekiro and looks like an Kurasawa movie in parts.

Appreciate the Sekiro heads-up; was going to ask you what FromSoftware’s Shadows Die Twice teaser trailer was all about as I’d heard it was rather a cryptic Bloodborne 2 reveal.

#Fashionborne2

RE7 and Ghosts - got it. Latter reminded me of Nioh and I liked the slowed Witcher-style finishers. Definitely going on my list.

My first-person experience is limited so will need look into RE7. I recall CDPR’s upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 also being first-person, so looks like I’ll be needing the practice.

Back on Rocket League after about a year...am I imagining things or is this game full of smurfs now?

Also nice job giving me crates I need to pay for keys to unlock...smh

Has anyone played Hitman season 1? Thinking of picking it up, looking for some games where I can play for a bit and then if I get busy and come back to it later it's no big deal. Figured with the episodes maybe that would work out.

Has anyone played Hitman season 1? Thinking of picking it up, looking for some games where I can play for a bit and then if I get busy and come back to it later it's no big deal. Figured with the episodes maybe that would work out.
It's not bad but like all Hitman games it can be a lot of trial and error.

I thought it was pretty good. Some really cool scenarios to be played out. However, if you're a Hitman fan, don't expect much of a challenge. It holds your hand to an absurd degree, literally funneling you to specific ways to kill your given targets.

I'm about 30 hours in on Assassin's Creed Origins.

I wasn't sure at first but I'm now having a good time with it. Some pluses for me are seeing on the world map or HUD compass bar where other players have fallen and initiating their quests, essentially avenging them by assassinating the NPC (mook) they fell to.

It's also the only game I've played where I can change targets mid-combo in melee. If a heavy-bladed guard comes barrelling at me from behind a statue, to present a scenario, and I'm about to knock some smaller archer's head in with a finisher, I can redirect the finisher at him so I don't absorb any rear attack damage; I think it's an extension of the combat's 'rolling' lock-on feature where you can non-chaotically transition focus amongst opponents mid-fight – pretty cool. I discovered it on accident yesterday and have been spamming it since for giggles.

Another perk of in-game combat for me is the weapons and gear you loot or are gifted comes levelled to your character level at time of pick-up. This has allowed me the freedom to upgrade weapons and shields I like while not worrying about over-investing in one loadout; with journeys like Bloodborne, it's the painful opposite and feels more a shackle than a plus in those cases.

And the music has been great – museum eerie in temple/shrine areas while epic when standing mid-city or in an endless desertscape outside Ancient Egypt's Alexandria. Perfect soundtrack to be running about robbing chariots or ferried cargo across crocodile-infested waters.

The only negatives are I can see how it (quests, material-hunting etc) could be repetitive but it's really no different from the Far Cry-series in that regard; you have to be inventive with Ubisoft titles the sort and elevate your own game – it's not for everyone though and that's cool. On the Ubisoft note, this title has the worst loading-screen times I've come across. While not criminal and still clocking in at under a minute, it succeeds nonetheless in breaking immersion, IMO. The game's papyrus puzzles, area design, and boss showdowns have been relatively easy so far as well so if it keeps throughout, I'd file this one under fun more than anything of a hair-pulling pride to have bested.

Playing through Dirt Rally. Very difficult but rewarding game. You have to know your rallying to be good at this. No n00bs allowed.

Jo, cheers for the VaatiVidya recommend. Really enjoyed his post-game introspection and talk on lore+. Dude is a talent and verging on a level of documentary film. I noticed a couple things while listening that I missed on my last playthrough (grrr) and it almost had me wanting another go. (Slaying crippled, ol' Master Willem drops a level-2 Eye rune, say wha'?!)

All in time, my friend, all in time.

@jojoRed

Halfway done with TWD collection.

Just finished the Dark Brotherhood story line in Oblivion.

Downloading Lost on Mars DLC for FC5 now.

Jo, cheers for the VaatiVidya recommend. Really enjoyed his post-game introspection and talk on lore+. Dude is a talent and verging on a level of documentary film. I noticed a couple things while listening that I missed on my last playthrough (grrr) and it almost had me wanting another go. (Slaying crippled, ol' Master Willem drops a level-2 Eye rune, say wha'?!)

All in time, my friend, all in time.

@jojoRed

Dude, definitely replay in the future, wait a while so you miss it, watch a vaati vid and then all of a sudden youre itching to play.

Now with your lore knowledge etc with the questlines etc, youre gonna find the little details you missed. Glad I helped someone find these video, and you seemed to have enjoyed them as much as I did.

Use him again for the DS3 playthrough, even though I didnt like the lore in this one compared to BB or DS1 as most is a rehash of the first DS.

Dude, definitely replay in the future, wait a while so you miss it, watch a vaati vid and then all of a sudden youre itching to play.

Now with your lore knowledge etc with the questlines etc, youre gonna find the little details you missed. Glad I helped someone find these video, and you seemed to have enjoyed them as much as I did.

Use him again for the DS3 playthrough, even though I didnt like the lore in this one compared to BB or DS1 as most is a rehash of the first DS.
I read he makes just south of 6.000 USD a month doing those vids - pretty sweet gig. And no need ask me twice; a replay or two is definitely in the stars.

I actually just bought DS3 (The Fire Fades edtn) a couple days ago for when I wrap AC Origins. I reckon it a good tip of yours to play something in between each Soulsborne title so as to downshift and recharge a bit.

I read he makes just south of 6.000 USD a month doing those vids - pretty sweet gig. And no need ask me twice; a replay or two is definitely in the stars.

I actually just bought DS3 (The Fire Fades edtn) a couple days ago for when I wrap AC Origins. I reckon it a good tip of yours to play something in between each Soulsborne title so as to downshift and recharge a bit.
Yeah, he's the biggest souls "star". His videos are great and Im glad to find out he's making money. Maybe you'd like some joke video montages of the DS games too. Theyre decent for what they are, great music choices and comic relief imo.

DS1:

DS3:

Nice, a palette change is definitely needed playing souls games because too much of a good thing can feel stale.

Enjoy DS3 and get back to me on how you liked it compared to BB, etc. Some great boss designs in there but I feel after youve played DS3 and BB, when you go back to DS1, you'll marvel at how much better certain aspects are compared to the games that proceeded it, and areas where theyve definitely improved upon. Level design was perfected in DS1 imo.

As for me, thats it for today. Have a blessed week mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back