ROBOCOP RETURNS (Lands Little Monsters Director)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
DISTRICT 9's Neill Blomkamp to Direct ROBOCOP RETURNS for MGM

WyXC8MI.jpg

RoboCop, the cyborg police officer who patrols the streets of Detroit, is returning to the big screen.

Neill Blomkamp, who directed such tech-heavy movies such as District 9 and Chappie, has been set by MGM to direct what is being titled RoboCop Returns, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the Terminator reboot that Tim Miller is directing, is rewriting a script that was written by Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner, the duo who wrote the original 1987 movie, considered a sci-fi and action classic.

The original movie, directed by Paul Verhoeven, told of a police officer who, on death’s doorstep, is used as an experiment to create new type of patrolman, one that is half man, half machine (but all cop! as the poster said). The new creation then struggled with resurfacing memories and corrupt city officials.

The movie struck chords viscerally – the action elements went deep R – as well as thematically, with the movie serving up satirical commentary on Reaganomics, the GoGo 80s and media.

Two sequels followed, one even co-written by Frank Miller, but they are largely forgotten.

MGM already tried to resuscitate the franchise with a remake in 2014. That movie was directed by Jose Padilha, the director of Brazil’s acclaimed crime movies Elite Squad, and starred Joel Kinnaman. The movie was met with tepid response and shows how hard it can be to manage and update classic titles.

Neumeier and Miner wrote the script for the sequel years ago with Rhodes now rewriting it. Neumeier will act as a producer on RoboCop Returns with Miner acting as an exec producer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/neill-blomkamp-direct-robocop-returns-1126289

Could be good...but probably won't be.
Hopefully studio does r rating.

Yeah, why not. Good DVD or Netflix fun. I'll give it a try.

More Inspector Gadget imo yeah?

DISTRICT 9's Neill Blomkamp to Direct ROBOCOP RETURNS for MGM

20180204210801.png

RoboCop, the cyborg police officer who patrols the streets of Detroit, is returning to the big screen.

Neill Blomkamp, who directed such tech-heavy movies such as District 9 and Chappie, has been set by MGM to direct what is being titled RoboCop Returns, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the Terminator reboot that Tim Miller is directing, is rewriting a script that was written by Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner, the duo who wrote the original 1987 movie, considered a sci-fi and action classic.

The original movie, directed by Paul Verhoeven, told of a police officer who, on death’s doorstep, is used as an experiment to create new type of patrolman, one that is half man, half machine (but all cop! as the poster said). The new creation then struggled with resurfacing memories and corrupt city officials.

The movie struck chords viscerally – the action elements went deep R – as well as thematically, with the movie serving up satirical commentary on Reaganomics, the GoGo 80s and media.

Two sequels followed, one even co-written by Frank Miller, but they are largely forgotten.

MGM already tried to resuscitate the franchise with a remake in 2014. That movie was directed by Jose Padilha, the director of Brazil’s acclaimed crime movies Elite Squad, and starred Joel Kinnaman. The movie was met with tepid response and shows how hard it can be to manage and update classic titles.

Neumeier and Miner wrote the script for the sequel years ago with Rhodes now rewriting it. Neumeier will act as a producer on RoboCop Returns with Miner acting as an exec producer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/neill-blomkamp-direct-robocop-returns-1126289
Bloomkamp?

Count me in

Its a tough one.

the technology around RoboCop at the time kind of made the movie imo. he was clunky and awkward in speech and movement and there were little special effects used and that is because we, the viewers did not know how far robotic technology would advance.

Today, with the knowledge we have about Robotics and where they are going Robocop would need to be more human like, almost like a Mr Data from STNG in terms of speech and function and smoothness of operations. Or even more like a Vision from the Avengers movies. Not sure that will sell as well in this concept.

I'm guessing this will be following more directly on from the originals?

Bloomkamp does make sense in one obvious way in that his films have all tended to have 80's style Robotech in them although you could argue that's a rather flimsy qualification I spose. Still though Distinct 9 did have a bit of a dark humour edge to it, not quite Verhoeven but I think enough to potentially work with Robocop.

I must admit I thought Elysium was dispite some good ideas a bit rubbish though and haven't watched Chappie.

can a director be typecast?

jesus christ Neill we get it....you like exosuits!

FUCK. YES.
Two great "Ain't Nowhere We Can Go But Up"s that will taste great together. And this better mean more Sharlto Copley.

Its a tough one.

the technology around RoboCop at the time kind of made the movie imo. he was clunky and awkward in speech and movement and there were little special effects used and that is because we, the viewers did not know how far robotic technology would advance.

Today, with the knowledge we have about Robotics and where they are going Robocop would need to be more human like, almost like a Mr Data from STNG in terms of speech and function and smoothness of operations. Or even more like a Vision from the Avengers movies. Not sure that will sell as well in this concept.
This is actually a pretty decent point.

I’m interested, but if it’s going to star Sharlto Copley and/or takes place in South Africa I am out.

Are they going to ignore the remake or build on it?

It fits his style however the Robocop franchise has been sullied so badly with the remake and the tv movie that I may not give the movie a chance. I'll just pretend that Dredd was the successor to the original Robocop movie

Back