The most visually stunning films

98% of that movie looked fantastic, but I remember there was one scene outdoors by a stream / waterfall where the compositing looked like they'd outsourced it to The Nostalgia Critic or something.

yeah I kind of purge that scene from my memory because the compositing is comically bad, but everything else is so good, and its on such a low budget that I can give it a pass

Glad someone gave a shoutout to Ran. It's my GOAT film so I feel like an asshole that I didn't

10-ran.jpg

akirasan.jpg

140945-004-_EDDC502_D.jpg

the fact that Kurosawa filmed this shit while GOING BLIND is fucking ridiculous

SnbPETT.jpg

0G9phLv.jpg

WOVJKN7.jpg

6rz31hw.jpg

like seriously,

I like to consider Barry Lyndon like Kubricks attempt at each scene being a Turner painting brought to life and its phenomenal

but Kurosawa was. going.fucking.blinddddddddddddd making this....

Personally I felt it was a great example of a leftfield film maker producing something more mainstream whilst retaining his edge with characters like Shinrokurō, Naritsugu and Koyata and indeed the general anti establishment tone.

Looked excellent as well, especially the travel though the woodlands.

It was his most palatable film (for me), though Blade of the Immortal = Invincible Samurai is the best script idea to ever be made.

Oh, I forgot to mention John Ford films, with all the sweeping Monument Valley shots and, Black Narcissus' use of matte paintings and colour and the like:

478_1.jpg

Perhaps getting more controversial to mention but Polsanki's Revulsion probably deserves a mention doesn't it? personally I don't think he was ever quite as striking when he moved onto colour cinema as he was in black and white.

figure+4.jpeg

Perhaps getting more controversial to mention but Polsanki's Revulsion probably deserves a mention doesn't it? personally I don't think he was ever quite as striking when he moved onto colour cinema as he was in black and white.

figure+4.jpeg
That child rapist is damn good at setting up shots.

Life of Pi looked incredible when I watched it in 3d in the cinema.

Baraka and Samsara have amazing cinematography and look absolutely fantastic in HD.

Labyrinth. Prime George Lucas + Jim Henson puppets. Nobody really uses puppets on this level anymore. If they made it today it'd be 90% cgi.

3427976_f520.jpg

Even just with Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton movies my list will be long af lol

Everything Gilliam touches is functionally good looking. Some directors craft around the real world. Gilliam creates his own worlds. Brazil, Baron Muchasuan, Seven Monkeys, Fisher King. He did The Zero Thereom for 10-13 million and it looks better than a lot of 100+ mill movies. In Seven Monkeys, he made all the future scenes in a old power plant. Baron Muchasuan I think is the only movie he has made that had a real budget and he made that one look incredible.

Just chiming in too with LOTR. That was epic from start to finish. Best use of CGI in a story.

I feel like the Matrix suffers rewatching now, the effects don't look very good.

Pretty much every movie with a lot of CGI looks like straight dog shit after a few years.

Went back and watched Avatar. Dog shit.

Went back and watched Jurassic Park 3. Dog shit.

Went back and watched original Jurassic Park with practical effects... Fucking looks decent.

CGI just isn't a good substitute for practical effects. It's fine when they use it subtly, but when you make an entire dinosaur or creature from CGI then it winds up looking like a video game after a few years. Real effects from 20 years ago hold up better. I wish directors would stop being cheap and go back to using good practical effects. It would make things look a million times better.

Since I am late to the thread I gotta dig deep. House (Hausu) is one of the strangest looking movies ever but it is super fun to watch.

Pretty much every movie with a lot of CGI looks like straight dog shit after a few years.

Went back and watched Avatar. Dog shit.

Went back and watched Jurassic Park 3. Dog shit.

Went back and watched original Jurassic Park with practical effects... Fucking looks decent.

CGI just isn't a good substitute for practical effects. It's fine when they use it subtly, but when you make an entire dinosaur or creature from CGI then it winds up looking like a video game after a few years. Real effects from 20 years ago hold up better. I wish directors would stop being cheap and go back to using good practical effects. It would make things look a million times better.

Its probably more a 90's/early 00's issue though when CGI was in its infancy, I think Jacksons LOTR was really the start of CGI being tamed and used as needed rather than the "look what I can do" style of stuff like ID4 were the effects were the main thing selling the film.

Back