SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 115 Movie!

Let's pick the week 115 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

I have no idea what to say about the theme of Scott Parker 27's Nominations this week. It's such an eclectic mixture that it defies description. Never in my life did I think I would see a list that being with a freaking Elio Petri film, continues with the Hollywood boxing movie from 1979 that is not Rocky II, keeps going with Cockneys and Zombies, and then ends with the only film Eddie Murphy ever directed. Part of me speculates that he conjured this outlandish concoction just to boggle my brain.:confused:

2dtqgf.jpg

Here are out Candidates!

Property is No Longer a Theft (1973)

Director: Elio Petri

Stars: Ugo Tognazzi, Flavio Bucci, Daria Nicolodi

Premise: A bank cashier, who is literally allergic to money, quits his job after an armed robbery. He decides to start a new life, as a thief. He starts by targeting a popular former client, a butcher. But being a neurotic Marxist has its drawbacks.

The Champ (1979)

Director: Franco Zeffirelli

Stars: Jon Voight, Faye Dunaway, Ricky Schroder

Premise: A former boxer discovers that his biggest battle of all is going to be with his ex-wife, Annie, who returns after abandoning their young son seven years prior.

Cockneys vs. Zombies (2012)

Director: Matthias Hoene

Stars: Rasmus Hardiker, Harry Treadaway, Michelle Ryan

Premise: Cockneys vs Zombies is a movie starring Rasmus Hardiker, Harry Treadaway, and Michelle Ryan. A gang of bank robbers fight their way out of a zombie-infested London.

Harlem Nights (1989)

Director: Eddie Murphy

Stars: Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx

Premise: During the 1930s, a New York City illegal gambling house owner and his associates must deal with strong competition, gangsters, and corrupt cops in order to stay in business.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @Moretti @LHWBelt @PommyBen @DeusExMachida @ArtemV

Scott Parker's Top Theme for this Week is "Top 5 B-Movies"​

@europe1 just to let you know, I got the notifications for both threads. Seems it worked this time.

I've seen two of these picks, and honestly... thought rather poorly of them.

Scott Parker's Top Theme for this Week is "Top 5 B-Movies"

1. The Blood of Heroes
2. She (1984)
3. Planet of the Vampires
4. Night of the Living Dead
5. Django

In Contention: Mad Max, The Hitcher, The Raven Flies, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Prince of Darkness, Death Race 2000, For a Fistful of Dollars,

I've always had trouble defining what is a B-movie and what is not a B-movie. Is The Thing a B-movie? Many people think so but I've always had trouble considering it so. I guess we have to use our own discretion when making our lists. Basically, I'm thinking something along the lines of: Very low budget + Lack of overt artistic pretentions + Commercially intended (ie: not an artfilm) + No Big Names at the time.

@europe1 just to let you know, I got the notifications for both threads. Seems it worked this time.

Finally... it is over... now we are free.

I bet you people not to cry while listening to this music after all that we've been through.

I've always had trouble defining what is a B-movie and what is not a B-movie. Is The Thing a B-movie? Many people think so but I've always had trouble considering it so. I guess we have to use our own discretion when making our lists. Basically, I'm thinking something along the lines of: Very low budget + Lack of overt artistic pretentions + Commercially intended (ie: not an artfilm) + No Big Names at the time.
I don't know about very low budget as long as not A-level budget. Many Golden Age Hollywood B-movies had very good production values. Back then the line was clearer. These days it's much more subjective term: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_movie

Are those considered B movies? If they are I guess I have B movie tastes, which doesnt bode well for us this week...

Don't know. The internet tells me that B-movies were intended as filler for double features (which we really haven't had in decades). So by my own definition I went with low budget movies that seemed to be goofing on or paying homage to cinema that came before.

1. They Live
2. Tremors
3. Army of Darkness
4. Enter the Ninja
5. Cadence

Hmm...my top five B-movies. That's a tough one.

1) The Room
2) The Room
3) The Room
4) The Room
5) The Room

And if you're not buying that...

1) The Room, suck it
2) Army of Darkness
3) The Toxic Avenger
4) Chopping Mall
5) Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Honorable Mention: Samurai Cop, Enter the Ninja, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Gingerdead Man, Death Bed: The Bed that Eats, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Dishonorable Mention: Gymkata, MK: Annihilation, Bibleman

Is Rocky Horror a B-movie? Because if so, that's in my top five.
And I'm wondering They Live was too mainstream, but it's definitely in the conversation.

I've never heard of any of these. I'll check the streaming aps i got when i get home to see what's most conveinent but i guess I'm leaning towards zombies.

There are so many great b-movies. I could have easily picked stuff like She, Death Bed: The Bed that Eats or Night of the Living Dead from other people's lists, but let's go with

Superfly
Sisters
Master of the Flying Guillotine
SS-Girls
Evil Within

This was a tough one to narrow down. So many beautiful disasters out there.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Jack Frost (1997)
They Live
Army of Darkness
The Room

Hmm...my top five B-movies. That's a tough one.

1) The Room
2) The Room
3) The Room
4) The Room
5) The Room

341bfc0c5e2b52bc3da418050d03ea1d--the-room-lord.jpg

2) Army of Darkness

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

People talk like Skeletor is the GOAT skeleton-actor out there but those two movies feature the two best Skeleton performances of all time.

giphy.gif

XM3v.gif

hqdefault.jpg

The Incredible Shrinking Man

<mma4>

Master of the Flying Guillotine

I've always thought the first movie was the funniest, The One-Armed Boxer

giphy.gif

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

giphy.gif

Got to give the movie credit, it delivers on what the title promises.

Back