Popular games of the past that you just couldn’t play

Final Fantasy,Guild Wars and movie games.

Borderlands. I was excited because of the hype and i got like 40 minutes into it and was like holy shit this is awful.

The "Fable" series. Always get about 10 hours in, and stop playing because it bores me to tears. I don't feel like I'm progressing in the game. It feels like a bunch of random ideas held together by the thinnest of strings. I recently tried to give "Fable 2" another chance. Couldn't get into it.

"Splinter Cell". Never got into the stories, and the stealth was a little too hardcore for my liking. I probably would've plowed through them with a better narrative, but the stories never drove me forward to the point where I was willing to deal with small margin for error in the gameplay. Technically impressive games, but I just didn't have the patience for them.

Bloodborne. It took over an hour for me to figure out I needed to equip a weapon to get past the very first enemy in the game. Then I got stuck on second group of enemies and gave up. I think I might have got to the second or third lantern. I felt so inadequate and weak in that game. I think it was due to the fact that I had just finished putting over 100 or so hours into the Witcher 3 which is a game where you are completely over powered towards the end of the game.

Dark Souls. I've tried and I'm trying again as I just bought DS remastered. I don't want to sound like a whiny bitch but I will anyways. The combat doesn't feel hard to me, it just feels bad.
Well you sound like a whiny bitch because the combat is near perfect.

the metal gear franchise has never been for me. you want me to sneak around an action game and NOT kill anyone? no thanks. i know it changed in later games, etc but the whole movie game stuff just aint for me.

Elder Scrolls games. I've always found the combat system to be atrocious. Not a fan of melee combat in first person, except for Chivalry.

I know I'm missing out on otherwise fantastic games, but I can't get over that hurdle.

Well you sound like a whiny bitch because the combat is near perfect.

to be fair, the combat is really shallow and repetitive. i got bored with it after a while and never bothered to finish it.

it's not that the combat is bad, per se. but there's not much to it. once one gets parrying down, the game gets kind of pointless.

Half Life 1 & 2
Any Call of Duty after the original WW2 ones
Destiny
Last of Us
The new Tomb Raiders
Fallout 1 & 2
League of Legends Dota 2 (Even though I loved the WC3 mod)
Just Cause (any of them)
Uncharted (any of them)
Halo 2 - 67
Gears of War
Saints Row
Metal Gear, Splinter Cell (Any stealth game)
Ass Creed
Dark Souls
Border Lands
Far Cry 2

GTA, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Persona, any Final Fantasy after 8, FPS Metroid games, Total War, Path of Exile, Divinity, Elder Scrolls, Fallout.

You get the idea.

I kind of feel the same about this series, i did however really enjoy one of them(i think it may have been 3)

Everyone liked that one. Then the Ubisoft effect kicked in, where they make the same damn game over and over again. It's what they do. Mess around with a franchise until they get it right, and then they just stop trying. Same reason we ended up with 99 flavors of Assassins Creed 2.

The Fallout thread made me think of this.

I gave up on fallout pretty quickly, in hind sight I should have started over as I think I progressed in the game too quickly without making sure my character was leveled up enough. Every time I went outside an area to explore super mutants Merced the heck out of me. Maybe I’ll replay it again sometime.

The secound most notable one was Half-life 2, this got great reviews and has been regarded as one of the better games in history.

I got it really cheap way after it came out and played it for about an hour. Got to a point where I had no idea where to go next and spent like an hour walking around with no idea where to go or what to do, and just said “f this stupid game”.

So that got me to thinking, what are some Wildly popular games you just gave up on quick.

These are the only two of mine that come to mind.

I tried the Fallout games over the years and every time i just couldnt get into them until recently. The trick with those games is to take your time and have fun, otherwise you will miss 90% of the stuff in the game. When I was playing Fallout 4 my favorite moment was when i first got attacked by a pack of ghouls and i hid on top of a car like a little bitch while they ate my dog alive

The "Fable" series. Always get about 10 hours in, and stop playing because it bores me to tears. I don't feel like I'm progressing in the game. It feels like a bunch of random ideas held together by the thinnest of strings. I recently tried to give "Fable 2" another chance. Couldn't get into it.
Peter Molyneux is a con-artist. I remember reading articles about that game for months before it was released promising the world, and exactly zero of what was promised was in the final game. Sad!

Ooh ill add just about any of the stuff Naughty dog has been coming out with, Uncharted, the last of us etc,etc. I feel the company puts out games that are all flash and little substance. Like uncharted for example. Voice acting is great. graphics are amazing. Story is decent but the actual gameplay itself is clunky as fuck and seems like it was all largely an afterthought.

Felt similar about the last of us as well in regards to the gameplay. And it was a letdown from the depth they were considering putting in there as far as Enemy AI was concerned.

Still somehow excited to try the sequel though.

Peter Molyneux is a con-artist. I remember reading articles about that game for months before it was released promising the world, and exactly zero of what was promised was in the final game. Sad!

I remember the hype for the original. It was insane. Talking about a game that never ends, where you can have a family, and then keep playing it through generations of your family, where you pick one of your kids to play as, once your original character dies. The world constantly changing with your actions, down to smallest detail, with never ending original content to keep the game fresh forever...

Then the game comes out, and it's just a typical hack n slash RPG, with some superficial choice making. It came out after KOTOR too, so it seemed even more limited in it's scope and decision making, than it otherwise would've been.

Biggest series that comes to mind is Fallout. Most I’ve made it is probably 20 hours or so into 3 and just lost interest. Bought 4 and barely made it past the character customization.

Thought it would be a natural fit seeing as how I got completely immersed into Skyrim. Guess not.

Last edited:
GTA, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Persona, any Final Fantasy after 8, FPS Metroid games, Total War, Path of Exile, Divinity, Elder Scrolls, Fallout.

You get the idea.

You're an indie hipster or a CoD dudebro?

Back