Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

If the UFC can't give a replacement fight then of course you pay. The situation becomes more nuanced once the fighter refuses all replacements. I don't think the solution is found from either party here.
<WellThere>

He wanted to say "it's not my problem Max pulled out, I won't risk my shot" And I support that, it's a business decision. But then he thought he'd turn down two replacement options and leave a void on the card, and they'd pay him for it? Don't know WHY he would think they'd do that. He sacrificed money now to minimize risk, to potentially maximize money later.

You usually don't get to have it both ways.

hey i dont disagree with you at all. im just saying if they wanted to be fair, they could pay for the fighters travel and shit if they made it to the venue.

i get he was offered a fight and he should have played ball. i also understand if you pay him then like someone said earlier then you have to deal with people always refusing substitute fights.

Ortega mentioned that the UFC said since he negotiated a flat rate, with no show and win money, they wouldn't pay since he deserved no show money. Even if he was going to be paid show money, I still think the UFC wouldn't have paid it since they offered him fights and Ortega chose to not fight, hence, not get paid.

God the UFC is so fucked. The independent contractor does the media obligations, promo videos, weight cut. Due to circumstances out his control his CONTRACTED fight is a nogo. His choices now after WORKING for the ufc is to sign to fight somebody he never agreed to or not be paid at all for his work. Multi fucking billion dollar company wouldnt pay him shit for all his time, especially the promotion and marketing for the UFC. These fighters need a fucking union already. Shits ran like a vegas mob.

That is how almost all companies treat independent contractors. Put all the risk and expense on the IC and then tell them how lucky they are to be an IC because they can deduct all these expenses from their taxes.

Meanwhile the company is laughing all the way to the bank.

Lmao. Guy does promotion for a company, handles media, promotes the UFC brand, influences ticket and PPV sales, and some of you cucks are all acting like he's being outrageous for expecting some compensation

Even independent contractors more often than not receive compensation for partially completed work.

The fighters need to be more protected by the contract they are pigeon-holed into signing.

As for the "NO FIGHTER WILL EVER ACCEPT A REPLACEMENT FIGHT IF THEY GET PAID HUEHUEHE" argument;

two things. 1. offer an incentive to take replacement fights. holy fucking shit, right? i know, hard to come up with that idea. 2. by saying this, you're implying they should be okay with doing all the pre-fight work for the UFC for free. including media, promotion, letting them use their image, etc. that's cuck labor.

Ortega wasn't getting paid any show money for this fight. He was getting a flat fee, win or lose. That is what Ortega and his management wanted and got.

UFC said he never completed the contract, no pay.

The more Ortega tries to minimize risk, the less payback he gets. That is how risk vs reward works.

I really believe this is the lesson Ortega learned this week. You have to be willing to take risk if you want to gain a big reward.

Back in africa I learned that poor people will perform any trick of your choice for just a bag of m&m's. I think that's the approach the UFC should use when dealing with fighters. They have become too spoiled

Isnt this whats already happening?? Neither DC or Stipe officially made at least $1M for their PPV fight, GGG made like 5 millions on his PPV fight with Jacobs, with very few exceptions the UFC is still paying them in M&M's.

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.
<Waaah><Waaah><24><24>
<mma1><mma1>

if u dont wanna work why should they pay you

Fight promotion isn't work?
Media obligations isn't work?
Promo shoots aren't work?

All of those things were done by Ortega that lead directly to the UFC profiting.

tenor.gif

Couldn’t resist.

Fight promotion isn't work?
Media obligations isn't work?
Promo shoots aren't work?

All of those things were done by Ortega that lead directly to the UFC profiting.

As well as to help the event, these are also opportunities that the ufc are giving him to promote his brand. + In the case where he is willing to fight and they can't find an opponent, of course they should pay the man. But here he just wouldn't accept any alternative.

Since when do you have to take a replacement on 3 days notice? He trained for max but expected to fight anyone they pick or no pay? Gtfo

To be honest, I think you could argue both ways, and not sure which way is a stronger argument for or against him getting his pay.

He did his part of the bargain, which is true, it wasn't his fault that the fight well through, which is also true, but on the other hand, he could have fought but chose not to, so I don't know.
He should get paid for the media work and nothing else.

I'm not impressed with Ortega's decision. Holloway might not even fucking come back at 145, he could have fought someone less prepared, for a possible interim title which then would become the real belt if Max doesnt comes back.

Stupid ass play by him and team.

Lol ponytailed millennial wants to get paid after ducking a fight rofl he grew up poor and got too many handouts and expected uncle Dana to give him a free school lunch

Since when do you have to take a replacement on 3 days notice? He trained for max but expected to fight anyone they pick or no pay? Gtfo

Since way back, if you bothered to read the thread you will actually find two older Zuffa contracts that states the UFCs right to offer replacement fights.

I've give him some paltry points for having chutzpah.

I'm surprised UFC doesn't have stuff like this written in their contracts. For the undercard fights and maybe the first fight or 2 on the main card they have paid the fighters show money when their opponent pulled out but all of those fighters make less than $20k to show. (most under $10k) This isn't that much money to them.

For high paid fighters and main/co-main events they should give a flat fee if their opponent pulls out with a chance to make more money if they are willing to fight a replacement. That way they are incentivized to take the fight and can't sue.

and they shouldn't. in 3 days notice? you guys defending how the ufc acts in this regard are being ridiculous. I'm not saying all his show money, but I don't know, 25% of it?

Expenses for flying out and accommodation are covered by UFC unless he decides to bring more than his coach and corner men.
Most other expenses for top tier athletes such as training, management etc are % of purses so he wouldn't incur too much there. I do agree though that they should be entitled to a specific amount not necessarily a % in recognition of them doing media and workouts if their opponent pulls out within fight week.

Back