SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: WEEK 114: Coherence

The opening scene shows out of focus lights in the distance like quantum particle effects. Then when she arrives at the party she says she has to "parrallel park", foreshadowing parrallel universes or realities.
There were so many quotes like that in the movie, but I missed this one.

I noted that Laurie says "I'm crossing all kinds of boundaries". And Lee says about Mike "he's not the man I married". There were tons more but I didn't write them down.

The entire thing actually starts BEFORE we know its started and while we think there is just character building going on in the first 30 minutes, there is more going on from the start.
That's what I loved about it. You rewatch it and see an almost completely different movie.

This speaks to what I was trying to explain in post #21. I know post people are going to avoid the posts I make about quantum mechanics but it really is the key to this film. Its all about the "possibility cloud." Within the cloud all possibilities are infinite, all things are possible. Its only when you focus in and try to grab one of those possibilities that they become a real part of the material universe. Its the difference between a particle and a wave. The infinite possibilities are the cloud, or the wave, but when we focus in and try to find something in that cloud, then it is no longer a wave pattern, its a particle pattern.

They all existed simultaneously, but also didn't exist simultaneously. This is the "spooky factor" to quantum mechanics and superposition. Its not that there are a trillion universes and a trillion you's. Its that there is a cloud of possibilities where all those you's are possible and you have pulled this one into reality, out of the cloud, and now you are not part of the possibility cloud, you are part of the material plane of existence, or a particle instead of a wave.

This is not my theory on the film, this is how our reality functions.

<TheWire1>
Yep. I don't see how you can explain it without the science, it's woven into the plot and it is the basis for everything that happens. Hell, Hugh is probably named after Hugh Everett, the guy who came up with the many worlds theory.

If that is the case... shouldn't we see more extreme shifts in character between different copies?
Even more simply, shouldn't we see different dinner guests if different choices were made by each person in the past?
I kind of thought the same thing, but Mike said at one point "this only started tonight, if there are a million realities I banged your wife in all of them".
I think it means people don't stray that far from who they really are. And anyway, what's available in THIS BOX would only be the branches created by decisions made during the comet. Or something.

I'm not saying that having them in there was a bad thing.

I'm just saying their expesition was poorly presentee from a storytelling standpoint. As muntjac said, it feels very much to serve the plot.

The film would need to be lengthened considerably to try to explain the things I'm trying to explain in this thread. The way that the quantum world operates is so nonsensical that ever getting someone to understand it is a fools errand. I've spent a fairly large chunk of time just trying to get a layman's grasp.

If that is true, then why should we expect that a simple filmmaker can do the subject justice? With not even the extremely intelligent proffessional scientist being able to grasp it.

Richard Feynman, who was one of the smartest men who ever lived, said this about the quantum world.

th

Here is another from Roger Penrose, these are big brained men.

quote-quantum-mechanics-makes-absolutely-no-sense-roger-penrose-90-52-56.jpg

Does that have any qualative difference to the dimensions/possibilities we're seeing in the film though? From our vantage point, neither angle changes anything we've talked about regarding the diversity (or lack of diversity) of copies presented. Saying multi-verse is just easier (and enables me to do a sick Michael Moorcook reference while I'm at it:cool:) Excluding Emy's hope of reaching a Coherence by being the only Emy left standing in that ending dimension, of course. Which turns out isn't the case anyways.

The difference is that quantum possibility clouds are not the same as a multi-verse. A multi-verse is a situation where there is an actual infinite number of material universes and since they are infinite, then every conceivable possibility has and is happening. With quantum mechanics, all those universes only exist within a cloud of possibility. Each one of those possibilities only becomes real in the material world when we act on it, when we interfere with it, when we study it, when we measure it, and only THEN do those possibilities becomes real in the macro world.

I'm telling you that all those "other people" were not from other planets, they were only possible outcomes from a quantum cloud, an infinite number of them. If they chose not to interfere like Hugh told them to then they would have been fine but it was their interference with the cloud that caused all the shit to happen. Basically we learned about this stuff starting with the Double Slit experiment. That in in itself would be a task to explain.

Basically boiled down, we fire protons through a metal sheet with two slits in it. On the wall behind the sheet a wave or cloud appears as the protons pass through the two slits in the metal sheet. Basically the pattern looks like this.

th

The protons flow through the slits like a wave of water.

220px-Doubleslit3Dspectrum.gif

BUT, we got too smart for our own good and decided we wanted to know just which slit the protons were passing through, left or right? So we set up detectors to see which slit the protons were passing through and all of a sudden, as if the particles knew they were being measured they stopped going through like a wave, or a cloud, and they become particles passing through in the material plain, and looked like this on the back wall.

200px-Double-slit_experiment_results_Tanamura_2.jpg

Well, this baffled really smart people because how did it change from a wave, to a particle? Those are two different things. The fact it only changed when we tried to measure it was also quite strange. The second mind blower that happened was they still were trying to figure out which slit the protons were traveling through and they found out that each proton was actually going through both slits, simultaneously, exhibiting Superposition, or being in two places at the same time.

This is the reality we are dealing with and the one that was being addressed in the film. All of the people were that wave above but when our characters started interacting with them, they stopped being a wave of possibility and changed to particles, or realities in the material plane. It was their interference that Hugh warned them not to do that caused chaos.

I made my own timeline for the film and its similar to the one I'm going to post for you. I don't usually post things like this in full but in this case I think its important and I think its the most accurate one I have ever seen. I would highly recommend if you want to understand the timeline you read it, it gets very interesting.

Starting here.

We have eight characters, who are four couples: Emily-Kevin, Amir-Laurie, Mike-Lee, Hugh-Beth. Let's suffix 1 to all of the original people in the first house, which we will call House 1. Kevin and Laurie had dated previously.

So we know what happens in the dark zone: every time people pass through it, they end up in an alternate reality house that isn't the house they originally left. There are also two boxes: one that comes into the house and one that they make in the house. The boxes have random objects, which are primary identifiers.

Emily1 is the primary character from the first scene of the movie, so we'll keep her as constant and explore the movie.

Emily1's phone screen cracks. She then heads to dinner in Mike and Lee's house, House1. Soon after, Hugh's phone screen cracks too.
main-qimg-f071d6b35824aebc88a3fd148b18d069

They recount life stories at dinner and Kevin tells one about his time with Laurie, causing Emily to be upset with him. Emily then talks about previous comets in Finland and Siberia that caused inexplicable phenomena, such as flattening of trees and a crazy lady who claimed the man in her house wasn't her husband because she had killed her husband the previous night.

Suddenly, the power goes out. Mike1 comes out with three sealed boxes of glowsticks -- red, blue, green. House1 breaks open blue glowsticks.
main-qimg-1b69f235e72a087a2dc0952dd16df2ec

House1-Blue-Amir1, Emily1, Kevin1, Laurie1, Beth1, Lee1, Hugh1, Mike1.

Amir1 and Hugh1 go out exploring. Some other Hugh (as we now know) knocks violently on the side door but disappears. None of the group is aware of this, but Amir1 and Hugh1 come back soon with the first box. Box1 contains a ping pong paddle as the random object. (We don't really need to remember the die numbers for each individual).
main-qimg-d37f70124856a1090b84e48a71432a74

Each of their photos has a number on the back that Emily notes down on a notepad in red ink. There is no number 3.
main-qimg-16794a59cc271e97fa3cee352ba49740

So House1-Blue glowsticks-PingPongPaddle received.

Lee1 gives Hugh1 a cloth band-aid for his forehead. They discover the duplicate note on the door and Hugh1 reveals that he saw the same group in the other house.

Now, Emily1, Kevin1, Mike1, Laurie1 go out exploring with the blue glowsticks...
main-qimg-0e6a48ec213546686c270133418273be

and run into their alternate selves with the red glowsticks.
main-qimg-d3271d931b682f52e6bb81f295f857a7

They pass through the dark zone and come back into what they think is House1 but is actually, let's say, House2.

Lee and Beth have never left the house, so House2 contains Lee2, Beth2, Emily1, Kevin1, Laurie1, and Mike1. We think it's still Amir1 and Hugh1, but when the second group talks about how they had the blue glowsticks and the other people had the red one, Hugh and Amir realize they're in the wrong house.
They see the boxes:
main-qimg-967ac733c87e3cab4ea9484dbefbb8b6

.. have a discussion,
main-qimg-6207ea05813a7ad3dd36365b0a906b08

.. and [upon second viewing], we now know that these are Hugh and Amir who do not have blue glowsticks. But House2 still has blue glowsticks, so these are Amir3 and Hugh3. Everyone confirms as having passed through a "dark zone that was darker than the rest of the area".

So, we have, House2-Blue glowsticks-Received object unknown-Lee2, Beth2, Amir3, Hugh3, Emily1, Kevin1, Mike1, Laurie1.

Beth2 now tells Hugh about the book in his car that he and Kevin retrieve. They don't leave the premises, so we can assume they're the same selves that went out of the house. Lee2 is napping. The group find out about the Multiverse theory, Schrodinger's cat, yada yada. An argument breaks out about whether the group has reacted with the other group (remember, they still think there are only two groups), and Mike1 thinks killing the other group is a good idea because if the other Mike is drinking, he could come kill this group.

Mike1 then recounts that in the other house, he saw Amir, Hugh, and Lee, but not Beth. But in this house, Lee is taking a nap. So they figure that in the house from the other reality, Beth is taking a nap, and not Lee. Since Beth was the one who put the book in the car and remembered it, they think the other house doesn't have the book. Mike thinks it would be a good idea to prevent the house from the other reality from getting the book and preventing them from having the conversation, but everyone disagrees with his idea of going and getting the other book from the other car. Mike1 then tells Kevin1 that he's going to leave and put the note about Beth to blackmail his own self to prevent the other Mike from getting the book. Mike1 now leaves the house.

The group now finds out that Beth had given Lee the drops. Emily1 and the group wonder about the drug in the food. After the discussion in the kitchen with the drops, Lee asks Beth about her vase.
main-qimg-1dc44e9587ef082e9b17d4388e929a95

... a conversation that Emily realizes the two characters already had much before the dinner party started (in House1):
main-qimg-1c97bf0fe87815ca7e7640f3dae071f8

Hugh and Amir sneak off with their red glowsticks:
main-qimg-4c5fd194fd7dcddce1d5732cef8586f9

and make plans to take the book and the box and leave, while Mike returns (after leaving the self-blackmail note in the other house)

When asked where he went, Mike goes and gets a drink. We now know that despite his blue glowstick, he isn't Mike1. Let's call him Mike4 because we do not know where he came from. (He can't be Mike3 because Hugh3 and Amir3 have red sticks. He could be Mike2, though.)Mike4 tells Kevin1 how he dropped the letter off, was going to smash the car window and take the book out, but didn't. (Note that at every point any character runs into a choice, there is a difference created in the alternate reality). Mike says he's been out 45 mins while Kevin tells him he was barely out for five mins.

Meanwhile, Hugh3 and Amir3 wrap up the box they brought and put back their oven mitt random object in and leave.
main-qimg-e5cf48ad5931bb681a89d88a395790be

So we have House2-Blue glowsticks-OvenMitt Received- Lee2, Beth2, Mike4, Emily1, Kevin1, Laurie1.

Mike starts drinking and the others realize that Hugh and Amir are missing, along with the box and the book. The group realizes that Hugh and Amir have been acting strange and could have been alternate Hugh and Amir. Beth then points out that everyone except herself and Lee have left the house at some point. Laurie kisses her ex, Kevin, and Beth tries to tell Emily after seeing it. Lee2 confronts a semi-drunk Mike4, and Emily1 confronts Kevin1. The lights go out again and they hear a crash.

Everyone goes out to investigate with their blue glowsticks and see that the car's glass has been broken. They don't realize that this was probably another Mike making a different choice. Everyone goes to make sure their respective cars are alright, and Emily1 retrieves her ring that Kevin gave her from her car and hugs Kevin. When she asks the caring Kevin if everything is okay with Hugh's car and Kevin is confused, they realize that they are both from different realities. Emily1 goes back into House2 and finds Kevin1 there, indifferent. The group try to figure out why they would break into Hugh's car, when Hugh and Amir return with the book.

The new Hugh and Amir recount their story, starting from when they first left the house to make a phone call the very first time. Hugh talks about how he saw the same dinner table and hit his head when everyone interrupts them to tell them they already came back and left. Lee then realizes that she had given Hugh a cloth bandaid instead of the one he was wearing. They say that they were in a house where everyone had red glowsticks that they produce, and they confirm that the red glowsticks here are still unopened. The group then realizes that these two are the original ones who left. They also have the blue glowsticks.

But they passed through the dark zone. So let's call them Hugh5 and Amir5 (to differentiate from Mike4). When they talk about the notes, Hugh5 says the other house ended up with two notes, while this house has two notes as well, which would mean the notes were written at least 4 times. They now realize there are more than just two realities.

To keep themselves sane and mark their own house, they realize they need a unique identity that's random and can't be repeated. Since it's an alternate reality, they realize the pictures are from this house. They get a die and decide to allot a number to each person, and then realizes they are doing the same thing the other house did ahead of them -- they were creating their outgoing box.
Emily writes down the numbers with a blue pen since it's a "blue house". They include a coaster as the random object in the outgoing box.
As they roll the die each and Emily notes the numbers down behind every individual's picture. When she checks the earlier notepad where she noted down the numbers from the received box, she realizes that the numbers as well as the color of the pen are different. There are occurrences of '3' which were absent in the box House1 got.
main-qimg-219c5a9e979c65748117e20fac945687

Emily1 now realizes that she's in a different house. She then notices that Hugh uses his phone and the screen isn't cracked.

Emily1 now tries to make everyone remember their previous incoming numbers and compares them with the numbers she remembers from the box House1 received.
main-qimg-4e5f1c0cc5a61f553eacd63a47b35873

Beth confirms she got a 3, Lee confirms she got a 5 (since they both never left the house). Kevin says 6, Emily remembers herself as having a 4, and Hugh says his number was 3. (In the House2 list, Emily and Beth are 3). Emily now realizes that Hugh is from a different reality as well. Emily shows the numbers to Mike and explains to him that they are visitors and that this Lee isn't his wife.

main-qimg-95deef557a4301a0e40120906528f8ce

She also tells him that since Hugh's phone wasn't cracked, he's from a different house. She explains her hypothesis that the dark zone is like a roulette wheel that takes everyone to a different destination. She states that they should go back to the dark zone to find their reality before the comet passes or else they would be stuck in this one.

Suddenly, Mike's self-blackmailing letter saying "Beth + book = Trinidad club don't let it happen buddy" slides under the door. The note is read by Hugh, who then discovers that everyone knew about Mike and Beth getting together 12 years ago, except for him, despite the fact that everyone thinks he already knew. They start to argue when Mike and Emily ask Hugh to produce his phone. When the rest of the group sees that the screen isn't cracked, they get a shock. They then try to recall the first box's random item. Hugh's and Amir's was a stapler, Lee and Beth's was an oven mitt, Emily, Kevin, and Laurie had a ping pong paddle, while Mike's was a napkin (so he isn't Mike2).

House2 - blue glowstick - oven mitt received - Lee2, Beth2, Mike4, Hugh5, Amir5, Kevin1, Emily1, Laurie1.

Hugh and Mike have a fight after a drunken Mike provokes an enraged Hugh even further. While everyone drags Hugh away, Mike wonders aloud to Emily if they are the darker versions of themselves. Suddenly, yet another Mike with a green glowstick bursts in, beats up this Mike, and leaves.
main-qimg-83364b3e8492f284d929f7e6d1445e97

The group realize that Mike4 is probably dead (just like Mike1 wanted to kill). Beth's nose starts bleeding and Laurie acts possessed. Kevin goes to calm her down. Emily opens the door and finds yet another note on the door. She then leaves, disillusioned with the group.

She passes by houses that have a stuffed monkey as a random object, inside which she sees a sad version of herself, another where she sees Hugh and Mike in a shouting match, and one where she sees Kevin and Laurie happy together. She sees the comet passing and then chances upon a house that is still well lit, where the entire group is happy and chatting, where her alternate appears happy with Kevin. She enters the house stealthily, grabs a baseball bat, and removes the hallucinatory drug from the kitchen.

Let's call this House9. House9 suddenly hears a crash outside. They decide to go investigate and jokingly talk about getting glow sticks. (We realize they never took the glow sticks out at all and have just been sitting inside their house and chatting the entire time.) They notice outside that Hugh9's car's windshield is cracked. Everyone decides to check if their own cars are alright, and Emily9 goes to grab her ring from her car.

As she is wearing the ring, Emily1 punches her and puts her in the car's trunk. Emily1 then comes back into House9, where everyone is happy and affectionate. It appears that Emily1's career mistakes have not been made by Emily9, who has the seemingly perfect life made out of good choices. While they go out to see the comet pass, the lights go out and come back. Emily1 suddenly sees Emily9 crawl back into the house. She then proceeds to hit her on the head with the toilet tank's lid and hides her in the tub.
main-qimg-1d8d44a201a8a7bdbbe6da2c044a8140

Before she's about to leave the bathroom, Emily1 suddenly realizes her ring's missing, and takes Emily9's ring off and wears it on her finger. As she leaves the bathroom, we see that her ring is lying on the floor. She goes out and collapses.

Emily wakes up on a bright and sunny day, still in Mike and Lee's house. She goes towards the bathroom to investigate when Beth comes out of the shower. Outside the house, she sees that Hugh's car's windshield is still broken and upon looking in, she finds the book still in the car. Kevin comes by and tells her she passed out and hands her her ring, saying he found it in the bathroom. Emily notices she's already wearing her ring, and now has two.
main-qimg-0f5eaf74c9ce8d6e36543d39b329bbcf

Kevin suddenly gets a phone call from Emily's number and answers it, and slowly turns towards Emily.
main-qimg-8a533645db80764098543f2a37222069

Emily then realizes that the previous night was no dream.
main-qimg-c285b2d06a9f01c791fd657d9d956fa2

The movie ends with Emily1 realizing that she's in the same reality as Emily9.
https://www.quora.com/Can-someone-make-a-coherent-and-chronological-timeline-of-the-film-Coherence

So yea, that is a lot to digest but appears to match closely with the film if not exactly.

So bottom line, right now, are any of us real? :eek::D

I kind of thought the same thing, but Mike said at one point "this only started tonight, if there are a million realities I banged your wife in all of them".
I think it means people don't stray that far from who they really are. And anyway, what's available in THIS BOX would only be the branches created by decisions made during the comet. Or something.

If it all started that night then why the confusion over Laurie's profession and actor-boy being on the tv show or not?

addtext_com_MjEzODI2MzMwNDM.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Okay, so you're saying that this story of the multiple reality Dinner Guests is only occurring in its own cloud, or bubble, and the rest of the world isn't being affected by it. Once this cloud passes or dissolves or whatever, eventually they come back into the rest of the world's reality because we see there's light out and we can see down the street with the other houses. So it's the rest of the world that now either sees the reality of who from the Dinner Guest "quiet environment" is now part of the world's reality? But there were more than one Ems in this world's reality. They can both be seen/heard. They are both existing simultaneously in this same reality, neither is the dead or alive cat. This is what makes me think we were witnessing multiverses.

Its always funny to see something like that appear in an animated series. You can be guaranteed 99% of people that saw it had no idea wtf was being said. That quiet environment is what has to be achieved for quantum computing. D-Wave discovered that they could only compute wit entangled atoms if the environment was cooled almost to absolute zero and the environment was highly shielded, or quiet.

Okay, so you're saying that this story of the multiple reality Dinner Guests is only occurring in its own cloud, or bubble, and the rest of the world isn't being affected by it.

No, I'm saying all of reality is the possibility "bubble" or "cloud." I'm saying that at the quantum level, all the atoms and particles that make up the universe that you know, behave in this way. They appear immaterial, they are neither here nor there, they are here and there, they are both still and moving at the same time, they are in Superposition, they are entangled, and all sorts of other strangeness. It is only when we observe them, or they are interfered with, that they come into focus as the reality you know and understand. Otherwise they remain in a cloud of strangeness unlike anything ever conceived of in a novel or movie because they are nothing, and everything, at the same time.

When you fire a proton through a metal sheet with 2 slits on it, that 1 proton goes through both slits, simultaneously, it is in both places at once.

sinhafig.1.png

The reason you could see both Emily's and other characters at the same time is illustrated by the picture above. The proton, or in this case the Emily, can be in more than one place at once. This is the reality we are living in. The proton doesn't split, causing half to go through slit A and half through slit B, it simply is in both places at the same time. This is kinda what you are dealing with in the film. All those Emily's are essentially possible her's, they can be is an infinite number of positions within the cloud.

Why would quantom physics react like that to a ring though? It seems incongruent to the theory at play. Its their observable possibilities that are the variables. Emy has to have been Entangled when something else "observed" her, did she not?

Also, why would there be the possibility of two Emy's existing in the ending, one on the phone and one right in front of him. Wouldn't they have become "Entangled" when they boyfriend observed her?

I may regret nominating this film because its very difficult to explain even in layman's terms. When the two become entangled it doesn't mean they meld into 1 person.

Quantum entanglement
Quantum entanglement is a physical phenomenon that occurs when pairs or groups of particles are generated or interact in ways such that the quantum state of each particle cannot be described independently — instead, a quantum state must be described for the system as a whole.

th

Emily though that the cloud would collapse into a single coherent reality with her being the only one remaining but she managed to get entangled with the other Emily. This is what Hugh warned them about when Mike wanted to go kill all of the "others." You can attribute it to the switching of the ring possibly but you also can't rely on the director to get it perfect do to the fact only a few men on the planet truly have a grasp of quantum theory.

Emily was thinking Schrodinger's Cat and when the box was opened, in this case the comet was gone, that she would be the only one left in that reality but she got entangled through her own interference. This is why she passed out after coming out of the bathroom. She was entangled with the Emily that she just clobbered and stole the ring from. Once they were entangled what happens to one affects the other as well.

Just swapped some texts with my NASA-employed, physics guru, and film-fan brother in law. Told him to watch this then get back to me. He said he'd check it out.

You're welcome. :cool:

Well, physics and quantum physics are two very different things but I would be interested to know what he thinks about the film. Its tough to nail it down without multiple viewings plus other research.

Yeah, my perception was seeing the struggling Em in the bathroom as the same one who was stuffed in the trunk. I was putting out the scenario of more than one Invading Em as a "what if."

Wait, her wearing the other one's jewelry is what melded them together? Not the fact that they were already existing in the same plane?

Its god awful hard to sort out. I don't know if the ring was the deciding factor that entangled the two together but after she hit Emily #2 in the head and stole her ring she walked out of the bathroom and collapsed, just like Emily #2 was collapsed in the tub.

We know Emily was not the only one that got Twilight Zoned here. I timestamped this and it shows 2 Mike's tied to chairs. They were most certainly entangled and when things went back to normal those two Mike's were trapped together. Once again, it was the people that interfered that this happened to.

If it all started that night then why the confusion over Laurie's profession and actor-boy being on the tv show or not?
Good question. I guess that dinner conversation inference could be wrong. Or, maybe there's some wiggle room as Mike's statement is only a message that the characters don't change much. I think by that time the Kevins had been roaming around trying to erase their past and assume the life of good Kevin, but found out it doesn't exist.

There were so many quotes like that in the movie, but I missed this one.

I noted that Laurie says "I'm crossing all kinds of boundaries". And Lee says about Mike "he's not the man I married". There were tons more but I didn't write them down.

Laurie was pretty damn seductive in that hallway scene. She was all, "some people just.....fit....you know what I mean."

That's what I loved about it. You rewatch it and see an almost completely different movie.

After 3 viewings I can tell you I get a different feel each time, learn more, notice more.

Yep. I don't see how you can explain it without the science, it's woven into the plot and it is the basis for everything that happens. Hell, Hugh is probably named after Hugh Everett, the guy who came up with the many worlds theory.

That is awesome, I had no idea. You've just added something more to a film I thought I wrung dry.

hugh-everett-biography_1.jpg

Another thing... like muster is saying, they aren't realities, they are possible realities. So the choices they make spawn probable outcomes within character and inside the existing framework.

So bottom line, right now, are any of us real? :eek::D

Basically they were were all mixed up from different places by the end. Are any of us real? What is real? The only reason you don't fall right through the chair your sitting on right now is because of its electric charge of energy. There is almost no matter there at all. In fact, there is almost no matter in the entire universe. How do you think the entire universe was compacted into a space the size of a bowling ball or what it was before the Big Bang?

You think I'm making this shit up?

Some days, you might feel like a pretty substantial person. Maybe you have a lot of friends, or an important job, or a really big car.

But it might humble you to know that all of those things – your friends, your office, your really big car, you yourself, and even everything in this incredible, vast Universe – are almost entirely, 99.9999999 percent empty space.

Here’s the deal. As I previously wrote in a story for the particle physics publication Symmetry, the size of an atom is governed by the average location of its electrons: how much space there is between the nucleus and the atom’s amorphous outer shell.

Nuclei are around 100,000 times smaller than the atoms they’re housed in.

If the nucleus were the size of a peanut, the atom would be about the size of a baseball stadium. If we lost all the dead space inside our atoms, we would each be able to fit into a particle of dust, and the entire human species would fit into the volume of a sugar cube.
https://www.sciencealert.com/99-9999999-of-your-body-is-empty-space

If we removed all the empty space in your bodies atoms you would be the size of a particle of dust. The entire human race would fit in a sugar cube.

th

That goes for the entire universe. There is almost nothing there at all. As I said, if not for the electrical charge of the atoms in the chair you are sitting on, pushing back against the electrical charge of the atoms in your body, you would fall right through that chair, the planet as well.

tenor.gif

So I would say, what is real? It appears that consciousness and energy are the only real things. Where do electrons get their charge? How do they hold their charge basically forever? Think about that some. They have a specific charge of energy, and it doesn't change, and it doesn't go dead like a battery. If not for these specific energy charges in subatomic particles, then nothing would exist at all.

Laurie was pretty damn seductive in that hallway scene. She was all, "some people just.....fit....you know what I mean."

After 3 viewings I can tell you I get a different feel each time, learn more, notice more.

That is awesome, I had no idea. You've just added something more to a film I thought I wrung dry.

hugh-everett-biography_1.jpg
I'm definitely going to watch it again, and when I do I think this time I'll focus on the house décor. I guarantee the houses had subtle differences and I want to figure out how many we actually saw. Also I'm sure there's an assload of illuminati symbolism to be found :cool:

Basically they were were all mixed up from different places by the end. Are any of us real? What is real? The only reason you don't fall right through the chair your sitting on right now is because of its electric charge of energy. There is almost no matter there at all. In fact, there is almost no matter in the entire universe. How do you think the entire universe was compacted into a space the size of a bowling ball or what it was before the Big Bang?

You think I'm making this shit up?

Some days, you might feel like a pretty substantial person. Maybe you have a lot of friends, or an important job, or a really big car.

But it might humble you to know that all of those things – your friends, your office, your really big car, you yourself, and even everything in this incredible, vast Universe – are almost entirely, 99.9999999 percent empty space.

Here’s the deal. As I previously wrote in a story for the particle physics publication Symmetry, the size of an atom is governed by the average location of its electrons: how much space there is between the nucleus and the atom’s amorphous outer shell.

Nuclei are around 100,000 times smaller than the atoms they’re housed in.

If the nucleus were the size of a peanut, the atom would be about the size of a baseball stadium. If we lost all the dead space inside our atoms, we would each be able to fit into a particle of dust, and the entire human species would fit into the volume of a sugar cube.
https://www.sciencealert.com/99-9999999-of-your-body-is-empty-space

If we removed all the empty space in your bodies atoms you would be the size of a particle of dust. The entire human race would fit in a sugar cube.

th

That goes for the entire universe. There is almost nothing there at all. As I said, if not for the electrical charge of the atoms in the chair you are sitting on, pushing back against the electrical charge of the atoms in your body, you would fall right through that chair, the planet as well.

tenor.gif

So I would say, what is real? It appears that consciousness and energy are the only real things. Where do electrons get their charge? How do they hold their charge basically forever? Think about that some. They have a specific charge of energy, and it doesn't change, and it doesn't go dead like a battery. If not for these specific energy charges in subatomic particles, then nothing would exist at all.
5070470.gif

Another thing... like muster is saying, they aren't realities, they are possible realities. So the choices they make spawn probable outcomes within character and inside the existing framework.

That is absurdly hard to try to understand.

I guess bottom line is this. Really it was the characters struggling with what could have been, what might have been in another life. Only problem is, in quantum mechanics those things seem to be not only possible, but probable. The entire thing is very hard to get a handle on.

Is that not fucking crazy? Remove all the dead space in the atoms and the entire human race fits in a sugar cube. The entire material universe is 99.999% empty space. What is real? I don't know. We are existing in a free standing 3 dimensional reality that appears to be mostly energy, not matter. The electrical charges of our atoms make it SEEM as if we are solid, and the chair is solid, but I'm not sure that is the case. People joke around about holographic universe theories and simulation theories, maybe its not a joke. These things seem much more plausible when you start understanding the nature of matter.

It is the energy charges of the subatomic particles that make you THINK matter is solid. I'm telling you, its not. Your electrical field is pushing back against the chairs electrical field, so you don't fall right through it. Nobody even knows how these particles acquire their charge or how they hold on to it.

Or not hold a dinner party at all.

Or one where the Cold War turned Hot.

Or one were the Dinasaurs survived to the modern age alongside humans and now work mostly in accounting.

OMG, you are triggering me. The two houses matched and the two dinner parties matched because they were dealing with the possibilities from the cloud of possibilities that have to do with their lives. The other people only represented possible outcomes for each one of their lives. Its like a huge tapestry that is all about you but in the total scope you only make up one thread in that tapestry. All the other threads are made of possibilities.

You can't say well in one realty they may not have had a dinner party at all.....there is only ONE reality. Its just that quantum mechanics says within that one reality, anything can happen. That is why I was trying to explain electron clouds and double slit experiments.

Well, physics and quantum physics are two very different things but I would be interested to know what he thinks about the film. Its tough to nail it down without multiple viewings plus other research.

With crazy shit like this every little bit helps.

<28>

Not sure how that explains being totally wrong about your long-time friend's employment background. What was originally billed as memory failure turned out to be interaction with extra-dimensional semi-doppelgangers. That means different choices were made in these alternate universes prior to the comet.

It appears that consciousness and energy are the only real things.

Does that include free will?

Funny thing is Hugh's the guy who first interfered/went outside and then told the others about his brother's warning later.

Hugh fucked up big time. He went to the other house and he and Amir brought the box back with the pictures. We don't know which Hugh that was though. Was it the oirginal Hugh or another Hugh? The timeline I posted in post #60 seems to think that it was in fact Hugh1 and Amir1 that returned with the box.

House1-Blue-Amir1, Emily1, Kevin1, Laurie1, Beth1, Lee1, Hugh1, Mike1.

Amir1 and Hugh1 go out exploring. Some other Hugh (as we now know) knocks violently on the side door but disappears. None of the group is aware of this, but Amir1 and Hugh1 come back soon with the first box. Box1 contains a ping pong paddle as the random object.

Hugh may have not known what he was dealing with at that point. All he knew was his brother said if anything strange happens then call me and Hugh was going to try to use the phone. I don't think Hugh knew it was a bad idea to get involved with your "other" until he read his brothers notes about coherence and decoherence. Either way though, ironic that Hugh started the bad series of events. It wasn't even Hugh though. It was Amir who grabbed the box.

When Hugh and Amir arrive back at the house, Hugh has a cut on his brow and Amir is carrying the box containing the pictures. The other guests ask about the box and Amir says something strange in reference to the box, "I thought I saw him (Hugh) put it down and he was running around the corner and I just followed him." Then when Hugh walks in the room they say, "Hugh did you put that down?" to which Hugh Replies, "Amir why did you take that?" Amir says, "I saw you put it down." Hugh says, "I did not touch that thing."

Those are exact quotes. So I guess some other Hugh, we'll call him Hugh2 put the box down and Amir1 saw Hugh2 and thought it was Hugh1 which explains why Hugh acted as if he never saw or touched any box. Either way though, you are right, Amir and Hugh are the ones that originally went when they shouldn't have and got everything messed up.

My mother is Finnish you inconsiderate lout!:p

(Personally I don't speak the language though)

They blamed everything to do with the comet on the Finns. It was the equivalent of "Thanks Obama" but with the Finns.

Back