ROBOCOP RETURNS (Lands Little Monsters Director)

Personally, I’ve always felt that Robocop is the perfect example of a film which uses extreme violence, but yet that is not in the least bit gratuitous. This story absolutely required it, because they were trying to portray a dystopian, over-industrial, crime-ridden future, & to do that they needed to scare the shit out of you, to portray how little life is worth in the ugly world of the film.

They balance this with a perfect blend of occasional dark humor throughout the movie, which the near-absurdity of the violence also serves.

If the violence was toned down though, I don’t think the non-violent aspects of the film would have the impact they do. It needed to be looming in the background of the rest of the film.

Meh.. Truth is in the middle. Paul verhoeven liked over the top stuff. It did add to the revenge aspect. The Miguel ferrer (sp) death scene was not over done.. The Weller scene was a little.

Meh.. Truth is in the middle. Paul verhoeven liked over the top stuff. It did add to the revenge aspect. The Miguel ferrer (sp) death scene was not over done.. The Weller scene was a little.

Well I must disagree. For me, seeing Weller brutally dismembered with bullets was essential to really understanding the terror of that world, being amazed by the scope of the technology which brings him back soon after, as well as feeling his trauma at recalling the event later. But hey, to each their own. At least we agree it’s a damn classic.

Well I must disagree. For me, seeing Weller brutally dismembered with bullets was essential to really understanding the terror of that world, being amazed by the scope of the technology which brings him back soon after, as well as feeling his trauma at recalling the event later. But hey, to each their own. At least we agree it’s a damn classic.
They did sell Robocop toys for little kids..

They did sell Robocop toys for little kids..

And let’s not forget, the greatest toy ever created:

m61d7p32fdoy.jpg

Do the sequel to District 9 all fucking ready.

putersmash.gif

My vote for casting goes to Sir Ian Mckellan

Bloomkamp?

Count me in

Was a fan of D9 and thought Elysium was alright. But Chappie imo sucked, it's like his movie was regressing to be simpler and more dumber down for kids.

I hope he returns to form but his name doesn't automatically generate hype for me anymore.

Was a fan of D9 and thought Elysium was alright. But Chappie imo sucked, it's like his movie was regressing to be simpler and more dumber down for kids.

I hope he returns to form but his name doesn't automatically generate hype for me anymore.

I thought Chappie had for more fundamental failures than just being dumbed down and kid friendly. It's almost hard to believe the guy who made Chappie actually has written and made a good movie.

So, at what point in the movie does Robocop get assigned to South Africa?

I'm guessing this will be following more directly on from the originals?

Bloomkamp does make sense in one obvious way in that his films have all tended to have 80's style Robotech in them although you could argue that's a rather flimsy qualification I spose. Still though Distinct 9 did have a bit of a dark humour edge to it, not quite Verhoeven but I think enough to potentially work with Robocop.

I must admit I thought Elysium was dispite some good ideas a bit rubbish though and haven't watched Chappie.

Chappie was horrendous. It was a corny piece of shit with ham handed social commentary. Elysium was also garbage with retarded, "ermagahd rich people are evel!" rhetoric. And of course District 9 was okay but was about illegal immigrants.

I fully expect some Leftist retarded agenda in Robocop form. No thanks.

Chappie was horrendous. It was a corny piece of shit with ham handed social commentary. Elysium was also garbage with retarded, "ermagahd rich people are evel!" rhetoric. And of course District 9 was okay but was about illegal immigrants.

I fully expect some Leftist retarded agenda in Robocop form. No thanks.

Chappie just felt like a re-telling of Pinocchio. I didn't hate it as much as you did, but didn't really need to see that same story we've seen tons of times already in films like Edward Scissorhands, Short Circuit and AI.

Politics was pretty central to the plots of all 3 Robocop films (and that reboot we all forgot about). The original trilogy came out in the Reagan era and heavily featured themes of overpowered corporations and social decline which were both genuine concerns of the time as well as they are today. A faithful remake should include similar themes. If they dumb it down and just make it about a robot policeman then it's probably going to be utter crap.

Back