Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Just bought all my new PC parts recently, this is the case I went with, it's a beast.

Image_40_S.jpg
You know it's serious business when your case needs wheels.

You know it's serious business when your case needs wheels.
Haha, I actually have the same brand of case right now it's 7 years old but only marginally different from the one I posted. It's not a super modern design by any means but it's huge, has tons of room for basically everything, and it's made for durability at 40lbs

Hands down I would go with the Fractal case, the build quality is going to be better. I own this DIY PC case and it's great for the price, but it just feels cheap. The metal is thinner, the plastic feels cheap, and the included fans are garbage. Odds are the rest of their line at that price point will be the same.
I noticed most of your case choices have a fan on the side panel. Is that a feature you're looking for?
The Rosewill Challenger has been touted as the king of the budget cases for years. I own the Challanger, for the money it's great.
The Deepcool Tesseract is another highly touted budget case. I've built in the Tesseract and I had a couple minor complaints, but overall it was good for the price.

The side panel fan is not a necessity or even something I picked on purpose, I would like three fans but one being on the side is not a desiding factor. Two front one rear or one front two rear options are probably better for airflow.

I do like the options of going water cooled with radiator support at a later date, but not a deal breaker.

Does the diy have mounting for a radiator? I didn’t see it mentioned?

I really like the idea of At least one front hdd point and internal for at least 1 ssd and one more hdd.

It’s not necessary though as I have a hard drive reader, if it would write slower than one on the front I could pop hdd’s In and out of for editing file back up drives.

Who the hell starts with the case?
You figure out what you want to do, then look at case options to see what the limits are and make sure your configuration fits.

Makes sense to me to do it that way as an engineer, not a gamer?

That's a really old case. For the money, there's better options out there.
The highest case on my list was just under 50.00, and the lowest was 22.00.

Shows 250.00 case, wouldn’t expect less from sherdog lol

The highest case on my list was just under 50.00, and the lowest was 22.00.

Shows 250.00 case, wouldn’t expect less from sherdog lol

Seriously go with the Fractal. It'll be money well spent.

So I've been out of this for a very long time as far as building(like 486 long time ago lol), so i've been researching some things and have some case questions.

Case 1. This case seems to cover the basics, usb 3.0,external drive bays(for back up hdd swaps for my video editing)
But only 2 fans, might get warm? But budget man is it cheap 22.00 right now on new egg
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=pc_gaming_cases-_-11-353-056-_-Product

DIYPC Solo-T1-R Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower

11-353-056_R01.jpg

Case 2. This one has three fans, but only one external 5.25 bay and no internal 5.25 bays(but 3x 3.5's)
Slightly more, but still very "budget" minded at 32.00

DIYPC Alnitak-BK Black USB 3.0 ATX and Micro-ATX Mid
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=pc_gaming_cases-_-11-353-081-_-Product

11-353-081_R01.jpg

Case 3. This case is the highest on the budget list so far, but seems to have alot of options as far as layouts are concerned. Only comes with 2 fans but has many places for more and can support radiators.
Its double the cost of option one, but with more advertised layout options and still not "expensive @ 49.00 its looking like my number 2 choice
Fractal Design Focus G Mystic Red ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=pc_gaming_cases-_-11-352-074-_-Product
11-352-074-V15.jpg

Case 4.This one so far is my favorite, as its very budget minded and seems to have a decent layout 3.0 and 3 fans. External and internal bays and is on sale for 29.00

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=pc_gaming_cases-_-11-353-057-_-Product

11-353-057-01.jpg

Number 5. Just because it "fits the same requirements as 4, but i might bne missing something in the layout of either. And is on sale for 29.00

DIYPC Zondda-O Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=pc_gaming_cases-_-11-353-061-_-Product

11-353-061-01.jpg

Anyway these are the cases ive started looking at, and not sure exactly what hold backs each one would have.
Get the Fractal

Seriously go with the Fractal. It'll be money well spent.

Get the Fractal

Interestingly enough, the fractile show 9lbs for weight vs 16 for the diypc that I liked the best, I had feared the fractile would be heavier, since I thought it would be better built but the diypc is almost 1.5x heavier.

Very interesting, I like the idea of the lighter case.

Interestingly enough, the fractile show 9lbs for weight vs 16 for the diypc that I liked the best, I had feared the fractile would be heavier, since I thought it would be better built but the diypc is almost 1.5x heavier.

Very interesting, I like the idea of the lighter case.

I have the NZXT Phantom mid tower, a really nice case imo, and Fractal would be my first choice for a new build. Feature rich, great aesthetics, and affordable.

I’m not going to recommend a tower, because like everyone else I say go with the fractal. I will say that GPU prices are still really fuckin high, so perhaps you could look into buying a custom build a boutiqe. I think it’s less expensive overall to do that than to build your own, in today’s market.

You didn’t really mention money or price as far as I can see(about the overall build)but I just wantsdto throw that out there for you.

I’m not going to recommend a tower, because like everyone else I say go with the fractal. I will say that GPU prices are still really fuckin high, so perhaps you could look into buying a custom build a boutiqe. I think it’s less expensive overall to do that than to build your own, in today’s market.

You didn’t really mention money or price as far as I can see(about the overall build)but I just wantsdto throw that out there for you.
Gpu prices are starting to normalize to launch prices.

You figure out what you want to do, then look at case options to see what the limits are and make sure your configuration fits.

Makes sense to me to do it that way as an engineer, not a gamer?
Wouldn't that make choosing the case the second step at the earliest?
Or even last? I mean, if I'm selecting a case to make sure my configuration fits, I need to have an idea of what my configuration is, right? No need to impose that limit first.

Or even last? I mean, if I'm selecting a case to make sure my configuration fits, I need to have an idea of what my configuration is, right? No need to impose that limit first.

If you know you want a small build with a mini itx or micro atx mobo you might be looking at cases before you decide which actual mobo you want.

I have a general idea, without each and every exact model and version picked out specifically yet

If you know you want a small build with a mini itx or micro atx mobo you might be looking at cases before you decide which actual mobo you want.

Exzachery

But doesn’t necessarily even have to be mini or micro for that, it that’s a good case i could see for doing it that way first.

<WellThere>

Gpu prices are starting to normalize to launch prices.
That's good to see. I was lucky to find a used EVGA 1080 Ti back in the spring for $750.

That's good to see. I was lucky to find a used EVGA 1080 Ti back in the spring for $750.
You can easily get a ti for 550-6 in my area now and with more diging Can get lower.

You can get a 1050 ti for under 100

You can easily get a ti for 550-6 in my area now and with more diging Can get lower.

You can get a 1050 ti for under 100
Do you ever go on r/HardwareSwap?

Back