Please critique my bag form (boxing)

I'm 37. And my neck issue is largely resolved, posture in daily life is fine, it's jusy something specific to southpaw that flares it up. So I need to look into my spinal alignment in my boxing guard. Or it could be could be how I throw one of my punches, or hold unecessary tension in my traps - who knows. But at the end of the day rather than sideline myself I want to get some good training in while I sort it out, even if it's not my 'real' side. No one is the worse off for it.

Valid point re:seeing other kinds of professionals but I would consider the condition to be improving so I don't really think it applies.

If you're having to box in an opposite stance to avoid inflammation, it's not resolving very well.

And no, posture correctness is not common in modern boxing. Unfortunately neck and shoulder injury jury are.

Hi all,

Recorded some bag work today. I don't get much gym time these days, this is all I've got. Comments and critique would be appreciated. Some notes:

- I was already 6 rounds of moderate work in, so not fresh
- I'm a natural southpaw working the other side
- My plan was to record myself doing singles/sitting down on my punches, so I could study my technique. That's not what happened obviously
- Lately I've been trying to pay more attention to my weight balance as I tend to be front footed
- I can see that I'm flaring my elbows in my crosses. This is because I've lately been focusing on corkscrewing my punches, to the extent that my fist is almost vertically rotated internally - but this doesn't look right
- I'm fairly green at boxing, coming from other ma backgrounds

Thanks chaps.

look good, more "time in the drivers seat" and you will surely improve your orthodox stance.

I sparred yesterday with this in mind. I found that I didn't need to have my feet set to throw BUT if they weren't, my sense of defensive responsibility went out the window (chin up, guarding hand down). It was a good discovery.

It was a good discovery; learning from sparring is by far the best way to progress. Go back and watch some more Hagler, note how he uses foot movement for defense (ie moving while slipping punches). Same for Mayweather, SRL, SRR, Roberto Duran and just about every other good defensive boxer. With a bit of practice you'll find that moving your feet while punching improves your defense considerably - not only is a moving target harder to hit, but its easier to keep your balance while slipping if your feet are moving (just the way the human body works).

I'm 37. And my neck issue is largely resolved, posture in daily life is fine, it's jusy something specific to southpaw that flares it up. So I need to look into my spinal alignment in my boxing guard. Or it could be could be how I throw one of my punches, or hold unecessary tension in my traps - who knows. But at the end of the day rather than sideline myself I want to get some good training in while I sort it out, even if it's not my 'real' side. No one is the worse off for it.

Valid point re:seeing other kinds of professionals but I would consider the condition to be improving so I don't really think it applies.

Surely that's a typo and you mean 27 ?

If I had to guess your age based on watching that video I would have said 19

I can see you being 27 and just looking young though, but 37 ???

Serious anti ageing genetics

I personally don't think you should train on bags with such light punches. You are literally training your body to tap your opponent instead of hit/hurt them. It is very common (I've done it myself) to sort of think that you either do fast or you do power, but you of course want to train for both. Same with high volume and power, it is not an either-or thing -- you need it combined. Whenever I'm hitting the bag like that my coaches will tell me I should leave and join a boxercise class. Basically, you need to have ill intent even when practicing on the bag -- hurt that bag! Imagine that that bag just raped your mother, then start your practice! I'm not joking -- the bag is your surrogate opponent, not just a prop.

I liked your spirit though, your ability to keep moving, and I liked that you obviously love the idea of being a boxer.

P.S. I also thought your age was about 19, so keep up whatever is keeping you so youthful!

If you're having to box in an opposite stance to avoid inflammation, it's not resolving very well.

And no, posture correctness is not common in modern boxing. Unfortunately neck and shoulder injury jury are.

From having pronounced symptoms 24/7 to pretty much only having them when I box southpaw, I'd say that in the grand scheme of things, it's resolving well. In any case I'm really analysing my boxing stance ATM.

It was a good discovery; learning from sparring is by far the best way to progress. Go back and watch some more Hagler, note how he uses foot movement for defense (ie moving while slipping punches). Same for Mayweather, SRL, SRR, Roberto Duran and just about every other good defensive boxer. With a bit of practice you'll find that moving your feet while punching improves your defense considerably - not only is a moving target harder to hit, but its easier to keep your balance while slipping if your feet are moving (just the way the human body works).

A bit of an aside, but it's annoying that in a lot of boxing coverage the cameras focus on the knees/hips up. You don't always or often get to see footwork. Also yes, I notice I slip faster if I step with it. If I don't involve a step of some sort, it's slow as shit.

Surely that's a typo and you mean 27 ?

If I had to guess your age based on watching that video I would have said 19

I can see you being 27 and just looking young though, but 37 ???

Serious anti ageing genetics

Yeah 37. During my studies of the esoteric arts I ventured into the far east and plundered the elixir of youth after I bested a shaolin monk in unarmed combat.

But seriously, I've been into martial arts since I was a teen so have tried to stay healthy/active/maintain weight, except for this bodybuilding (read:bulking indiscriminately) phase I went through.

Last edited:
Back