This Gen's Work Ethic

Up to 1000 a day on commission, such shops are largely empty, normal shoppers do not enter as prices are ridiculous. The shop exists on its employees ability to sell to the odd rich customer that enters. It's a sales job in every sense of the word and not a position for an amateur.

vegas is a classic example, there can be 10K people walking through the shoppes at caesar's yet half the stores are completely devoid of customers

Aren't the really motivated and talented 20ish kids in university?

I'm actually in the process of trying to restructure how our company runs. Honestly, I think the millenials are easier to transition than the older folks. I'm with a 80 year old company that still runs off of the same hours (8-4:30) and many of the same policies for the last 40+ years. Business has changed. There is no reason our salaried workers should be adhering to an 8-4:30 schedule when we have a demand outside those business hours. Structure the schedule around the demands. Improvise each week.

My youngest employee (25 years old) is pretty ambitious when it comes to adapting and finding ways to do things. She'll work on the weekend for a client, but then come in late other days to stay near 40 hours. To me, it works great, but the older people think it's too confusing. She's also ambitious on creating better ways to do things, going paperless, etc. The biggest issue here is the archaic mindset of the older, "hard working" generation. They have a blue collar mindset in a white collar industry. No, you don't just get points for being here during set hours and working hard. Create better ways to do things, come up with new ideas, etc.

I'm actually in the process of trying to restructure how our company runs. Honestly, I think the millenials are easier to transition than the older folks. I'm with a 80 year old company that still runs off of the same hours (8-4:30) and many of the same policies for the last 40+ years. Business has changed. There is no reason our salaried workers should be adhering to an 8-4:30 schedule when we have a demand outside those business hours. Structure the schedule around the demands. Improvise each week.

My youngest employee (25 years old) is pretty ambitious when it comes to adapting and finding ways to do things. She'll work on the weekend for a client, but then come in late other days to stay near 40 hours. To me, it works great, but the older people think it's too confusing. She's also ambitious on creating better ways to do things, going paperless, etc. The biggest issue here is the archaic mindset of the older, "hard working" generation. They have a blue collar mindset in a white collar industry. No, you don't just get points for being here during set hours and working hard. Create better ways to do things, come up with new ideas, etc.
Exactly that goes back to the work life balance that people crave today. For instance my daughter just started a job last week good benefits pension upward mobility etc. the way they schedule is you need to be there between 11a-3p however you wrap your 8hrs around that is up to you. which works great for her to manage her commute around the heavier traffic times. plus the hours spent at work are more productive for the employer than the drone hours of this time to that time static.

Exactly that goes back to the work life balance that people crave today. For instance my daughter just started a job last week good benefits pension upward mobility etc. the way they schedule is you need to be there between 11a-3p however you wrap your 8hrs around that is up to you. which works great for her to manage her commute around the heavier traffic times. plus the hours spent at work are more productive for the employer than the drone hours of this time to that time static.

The big thing in our industry is that people need to be here to sign documents. A lot of people do not want to take off work for that, and furthermore, others involved are all commission based making their own schedule. Why should we not adapt to that? It's just hard for the old timers to wrap their heads around. Yes, the office needs to have set hours, but not everyone needs to be here.

I personally try to leave work a couple hours early one day and prefer to work those hours on a weekend day when I won't get bothered. I can get so much done in 2 hours without my email open and phone calls.

I have stopped hiring under 25. The work ethic of those raised on nickelodeon and MTV is abysmal. They have no concept of teamwork and want to get by on someone else's coat tails. I know there are exceptions, but how can someone be expected to work hard when they have no concept of life without Google or a smart phone?

This is why my daughter is not getting exposed to ANY of this bullshit.

I'll tell you one lofty statement about the next generation, coming from my field of work
He construction industry is gonna be FUCKED

Don't get me wrong it's not a nice place to be and it's hard work, I don't need anyone to tell me it's shitty work, but the pays good and the demands high
But these kids coming in... fuck
They literally don't want to do fuck all, and don't care about the end product
They just wanna live off their parents, smoke weed and play video games
...which in all fairness sounds pretty good
Tbh, the idea that I dont want to work for the rest of my life didnt come to me until way later than it should. These kids have the right idea, way earlier than me.

Why the fuck should I be a slave to some rich people for the rest of my life, doing backbreaking bullshit?

considering that the productivity of the average american worker has steadily increased since the 70s id say its more about the perception

Don't forget the fact that this gen works longer hours for less (relative) pay... AND pay 3 times what their parents did for the same education (which their parents didn't even need, but is required today).

I'm a gen-xer, and It's shocking for me to see that the journeyman pay in my field is just about the same as it was for me 25 years ago when I started... and that's not even considering that everything "needed" to live (shelter, food, gas, healthcare) is 2-3 times more expensive these days.

I see a lot of lazy on shift retirement types that spew bullshit about the younger generation. While they are doing so, they’ve usually got their feet up on the desk.

I see a lot of younger folks who catch butterflies for a living and wouldn’t be caught dead being a desk jockey. I’ve seen some who you’d think breathing is no longer autonomic for them, as if every breath takes max effort.

I don’t care how old you are. I don’t even give a shit if you’re working yourself to the bone or not. I just care that you care, and that’s it’s reflected in the quality or your work and life.

The big thing in our industry is that people need to be here to sign documents. A lot of people do not want to take off work for that, and furthermore, others involved are all commission based making their own schedule. Why should we not adapt to that? It's just hard for the old timers to wrap their heads around. Yes, the office needs to have set hours, but not everyone needs to be here.

I personally try to leave work a couple hours early one day and prefer to work those hours on a weekend day when I won't get bothered. I can get so much done in 2 hours without my email open and phone calls.
A lot of people believe in job jail. WHere you're there for 8 hours no matter how productive you are. Reward hard workers by letting them go an hour or so early on a Friday.

Tbh, the idea that I dont want to work for the rest of my life didnt come to me until way later than it should. These kids have the right idea, way earlier than me.

Why the fuck should I be a slave to some rich people for the rest of my life, doing backbreaking bullshit?

Never said it was wrong just saying how it is

But but I need my boss seeing that I work so hard and putting in long hours.

I hate that mindset. Unless you are digging ditches, if a job requires a lot of hard work, the process is messed up.

I see a lot of lazy on shift retirement types that spew bullshit about the younger generation. While they are doing so, they’ve usually got their feet up on the desk.

I see a lot of younger folks who catch butterflies for a living

36720ee891540be0f073617fd51bfcca.gif

my primary source of income has been discovered

considering that the productivity of the average american worker has steadily increased since the 70s id say its more about the perception
lol, the productivity has increased because of tech. lets not act like Americans are working harder than they were in the 50s,60s.70s

You get what you pay for with employing people for low wage jobs. For a career jobs, you should have high expectations and not put up with entitled bullshit. I think part of the problem is people sometimes come from too laid back of work environments..you know this hip, cool whatever goes offices where it's mostly young people in the office and the rules allow them to get away with murder. Then a couple years later they come to a more established company and can't understand why they're held to higher expectations and then cry about it.
What do you mean I cant leave for 45 minutes to go get starbucks, are you running a slave shop?

ohh and by the way, I wouldnt hire women for most jobs either. They take more time off work, call in sick more, work less hours, use more vacation time, and then when they get knocked up on their own time, they want me to hold a job for them, lol. Notice I said most jobs.

I have managed a couple of millenials while they look out for themselves first they worked extremely hard

So I appreciated the balance

Not outraged.

Isn't working for three years at one company before moving on the norm?

On the flip side, isn't a company being bought out by a larger company every three years the norm?

Fuck yeah you should ask what a job can do for you. Most depressed I've ever been was at a former employers "award ceremony" where they gave this sad fuck a 3 day cruise for 30 years of service to this stinky, shitty, clustered, dangerous machine shop that I worked in.

You don't have to eat shit just because someone puts a spoon of it in front of your face.
A three day goddamn cruise. For 30 years of goddamn service. Jesus titty fucking Christ. How about a $5-10 an hour raise?

You know what the only reason they were even paying that poor guy at all is because slavery is not legal. Jesus Christ.

Back