This NFL thing has made owner of Papa John's lose his damn mind. N bombs now.

It's a good argument against making assertions that can't be proven.
I've never seen it so it has never happened isn't good argumentation.
I did a few minutes of googling, and I can't find any evidence of a POC being fired for using the "n word." Do you have any concrete evidence that it has happened?

It would seem, at least, that different groups are statistically judged differently for the same action, at least. And this trend should show that we should rethink our position to using the word and words like it. That's all I am saying. Everyone currently using these words should stop using them.

I did a few minutes of googling, and I can't find any evidence of a POC being fired for using the "n word." Do you have any concrete evidence that it has happened?

It would seem, at least, that different groups are statistically judged differently for the same action, at least. And this trend should show that we should rethink our position to using the word and words like it. That's all I am saying. Everyone currently using these words should stop using them.
I don't know the terms of dismissal; it was hearsay wrt the outcome, what happened wasn't disputed.
I don't know that they referred to it in an official capacity nor whether she voluntarily left the position or not.

What did seem queer was that another black RN (again, hearsay) got upset about her use of the word and they got into an argument about it that had to be dealt with by management, and the RN hasn't appeared in the building since, to my knowledge. This was... I wanna say 2004.

Who fucking cares? He wasn't calling anybody the N-word. The context was from an anti racism point of view during a private conference call. This shouldn't be news and people really need to grow up.

I knew an AA RN who had to be terminated from the hospital after she left a FB page open calling people naggers and whatnot, a black patient walked by it in the hallway and went ballistic.
I can only imagine the shit storm that followed that.

I can only imagine the shit storm that followed that.
It got some people all flustered and upset. Typical woman shit tbh, being dumb enough to leave that shit open to the patient's passing eye. There are patients that are looking for a way to get people into trouble.

Who fucking cares? He wasn't calling anybody the N-word. The context was from an anti racism point of view during a private conference call. This shouldn't be news and people really need to grow up.

But Facebook liberal good guy bashers won't look at reality, and will admonish you for saying this.

I know you're being purposely obtuse, but the word has entered cultural slang in the African American community. And that probably has occurred as a means to "take the power" out of the word that was historically used by whites to demean and dehumanize.

L9Ji.gif

@GetTheseHands as the spokesperson, can confirm if my thinking of why African americans use the n word is correct?
So they use a word that dehumanized them to make it less dehumanizing? The word probably would have died out or had less of an impact if it was said less. Instead it is kept at the forefront in songs, movies, and casual conversations between blacks. Puerto Rican’s use it a lot also.

I don't know the terms of dismissal; it was hearsay wrt the outcome, what happened wasn't disputed.
I don't know that they referred to it in an official capacity nor whether she voluntarily left the position or not.

What did seem queer was that another black RN (again, hearsay) got upset about her use of the word and they got into an argument about it that had to be dealt with by management, and the RN hasn't appeared in the building since, to my knowledge. This was... I wanna say 2004.
Well, that's not really concrete.

Getting back to the topic, I'm not mad that the Chairman of Papa John's is stepping down for acting the way he did. I'm merely suggesting that everyone stop using these words, and if they do, the should suffer the same consequences without regard to the skin tone of the speaker.

Congratulations, you've learned to take your fascism like a bootlicker.
Lol, it's about socially acceptable behavior, not about rule of law.
By all means, you can go around dropping n-bombs if you're such a freedom fighter.

Silliness. Context and intent apparently don;t mean anything.

Do you also want to edit classic works of literature? Or only for whites?
Perhaps you should speak with more specificity because I can't follow your reasoning. It seems... nonlinear, and I'm one of those people that needs coherent structure in order to understand an argument.

Perhaps you should speak with more specificity because I can't follow your reasoning. It seems... nonlinear, and I'm one of those people that needs coherent structure in order to understand an argument.

My post was it's silly to crucify someone for using the word regardless of context.

You answered with me not understanding the issue.

I asked if the word can be used in any context.

You answered yes, but only by black people.

Are you following so far?

My post was it's silly to crucify someone for using the word regardless of context.

You answered with me not understanding the issue.

I asked if the word can be used in any context.

You answered yes, but only by black people.

Are you following so far?
Noooooooow I get it. You think I looked stupid.
Well let me tell you something, you're not wrong

If there's anything positive I can honestly say about Trump, it's that he is taking the hood off of American racism.

I came in expecting to GIF-response with a, "This is where I get off the train..." message. Lo and behold, I am again confronted by an illogical approach to combating racism that is more racist itself in nature. Key passage:

What is the crime here? Where is the evidence that he believes blacks are inferior? Am I also supposed to infer that he thinks it's appropriate for blacks to be dragged behind trucks until they die? Am I supposed to infer that this private conference call indicates that he believes the term should be acceptable in normal workplace environments instead of a privately discussed conference call by management where the very topic is how to handle racial sensitivity?

We have taken our eyes so far off the ball that we no longer remember what the purpose of this selective, voluntary censorship was intended to effect.

*Edit* Furthermore, since I anticipate the "it reflects poor judgment" defense, then I'd like to point out that poor judgment is intended to reflect the misapprehension of a deeper transgression. He is the one on the hot seat. What is his deeper transgression, then?

Furthermore, this conference call would have stayed private if it wasn't leaked to the press. Isn't the person with poor judgment the one who would leak it? The issue is public perception. He didn't air this out in public, so I don't see the flaw in judgment...unless one is to presume that he can't even trust a single conversation held on business time concerning the business to ever be kept confidential, or handled with discretion.

Even in private you must self-censor your speech, but only if you are white. That is the message I am gleaning.
Well, I gleaned an entirely fucking different message because I'm not on my period.*
The article said, "He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism," but others felt otherwise. It doesn't take a master of reading comprehension to understand this means that no matter how it sounded, it was not his intent to support these things.

The issue, then, is why did the people on the call with him react the way they did when he apparently had good intentions?
Having worked in a call centre I can tell you it's totally fucking simple. Communication face to face conveys far far more information that voice only. I'm willing to bet there would have been far less of a reaction by the people at the other end of the phone had they been there instead.

I agree it's still a total over-reaction and that everyone, no matter what side of these issues you happen to be on, seems to be over-sensitive these days. You can lay this squarely at the feet of Steve Bannon, who first learned how to exploit online outrage. It progressed into the current "flip out first, ask questions later" social atmosphere we live in. The only solution I can think of is to keep making reasonable statements on the issues like in my second paragraph, above, and hope it catches on.

Back