Early UFC 226 pay-per-view estimates are under 400,000 buys

I wonder how much money wme saves by not really promoting anymore. They fill tv with commercials hyping the card but that’s it. It seemed there use to be a lot more hyping of cards than that

Lol, no wonder they're giving Brocock a title shot.

Let's not get carried away.
For starters, I don't see any white guys currently under 25 ever giving a fuck about boxing.
As far as combat sports go, MMA, hence the UFC, is supposed to be the "most alive" for the foreseeable decades.
But, yeah, perhaps not as big as someone would've predicted in 2010. Not even close.

tenor.gif

edit: Generally speaking, this is a bad age for combat sports and even more so when you are as small as MMA.

Last edited:
I would have thought lhw champ vs hw champ would have done better even with the lose of the comain. I guess more people felt the same way I did, once Max was out, I quickly decided I'd be happy watching the free prelims & jumping on here Sunday morning to see what happened.

I think all the people claiming some of these cards are gonna be a blockbuster are missing the X factor. Loosing big fights, especially from weight cutting, doesn't help either.

It's due in large part to streaming. I happen to know quite a few "casuals" who were very interested in 226. And almost all of them were bragging about streaming the fight as opposed to buying it. I was going to buy it for the first time in a LONG time, but chose to watch it at one of said casuals house instead after the Holloway / Ortega fight fell through. We even talked about it during the fights, mentioning how pissed we would be if we were the UFC, at just how many people were streaming the fights instead of buying them.
This issue is really not that relevant in the context of this thread, because it also applies to all other cards, and have done so for many years. The UFC have still been able to put up cards which draws over 1 million PPV buys (including in the last four years). Unfortunately, the drawing power of Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic does not match that of Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, or even Ronda Rousey. Even with Hollaway on the card, I think the UFC would have a hard time exceeding 1 million PPV buys.

Dana gives no fuck anymore. He sold his 8% for 400 millions. He will just gtfo sooner than later.

If he doesn't give a fuck he wouldn't be going ham on Schaub on social media or getting emotional and lashing out against fighters when they piss him off still.

Ufc getting both a Conor n a Brock ppv within 8 months tbey are really just fine

Lol, no wonder they're giving Brocock a title shot.

Let's not get carried away.
For starters, I don't see any white guys currently under 25 ever giving a fuck about boxing.
As far as combat sports go, MMA, hence the UFC, is supposed to be the "most alive" for the foreseeable decades.
But, yeah, perhaps not as big as someone would've predicted in 2010. Not even close.
Anecdotal, but I work with a lot of younger guys. In the younger generation, like 20 years old right now, there's a lot of interest in boxing, probably more than in MMA. Boxing isn't as dead to them as it was to guys who are currently 25-35.

There have been some great fights over the past few years and I think that's why. Boxing when I was younger was just dominated by boring fucking fighters, especially at HW, Paq vs Floyd sucked, and it killed the sport. You've got some exciting fighters now at every weight.

I predicted 375 and I think that's a good number. UFC has been average in the 100s lately.

The card was a good MMA fan card but to draw the big numbers, you have to get the casual fan interested and those fights are few and far between. Conor and Ronda inflated PPV numbers and people started acting like they were normal.

It does amaze me though how a good card like DC/Stipe gets under 400k and then a Conor/Ronda cards gets in the millions. To think that there are literally 1 million more fans out there that will only watch the right fight is insane.

This issue is really not that relevant in the context of this thread, because it also applies to all other cards, and have done so for many years. The UFC have still been able to put up cards which draws over 1 million PPV buys (including in the last four years). Unfortunately, the drawing power of Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic does not match that of Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, or even Ronda Rousey. Even with Hollaway on the card, I think the UFC would have a hard time exceeding 1 million PPV buys.
Streaming is becoming more popular by the minute. These same casuals I'm talking about knew nothing about streaming the last time Conor fought Alvarez. I'm noticing a trend of everyone talking about "firestick", and this is very new to the people I'm talking about.

Not surprising. The UFC seems to expect fighters to promote themselves except for Conor (and formerly Ronda of course).

The recent tuf finale was also the lowest rated ever. MMA is dead.

Streaming is becoming more popular by the minute. These same casuals I'm talking about knew nothing about streaming the last time Conor fought Alvarez. I'm noticing a trend of everyone talking about "firestick", and this is very new to the people I'm talking about.
True to some extent, but people have been streaming UFC events since forever. Heck, even before 2010, a solid majority of the people I knew streamed the fights in one way or another rather than actually buying the PPV. There is no doubt that the low PPV numbers seen recently cannot be explained solely based on new streaming opportunities.

lol at people blaming streaming, as if it's some new thing and hasn't been around forever.

This is what I predicted for UFC 226 in another thread. 400k is decent considering neither guy is a draw by themselves and with the UFC's current PPV environment.

Outside of the JJ fights, DC numbers have been pretty low. His best PPV without JJ is Rumble 2 and it did 375k. His low was 200k ( i think?) vs Gus. Around 400k likely. 500k+ would be great.

I predicted 375 and I think that's a good number. UFC has been average in the 100s lately.

The card was a good MMA fan card but to draw the big numbers, you have to get the casual fan interested and those fights are few and far between. Conor and Ronda inflated PPV numbers and people started acting like they were normal.

It does amaze me though how a good card like DC/Stipe gets under 400k and then a Conor/Ronda cards gets in the millions. To think that there are literally 1 million more fans out there that will only watch the right fight is insane.

Way more than that
Each PPV averages 4-6 viewers with bigger fights averaging more

Back