The most visually stunning films

All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely stunning, given it came out in 1930.

Trying to think of some ones with titties.

Nah but for real off the top of my head I'd say Saving private ryan and sin city. I'm sure there are otherz but those 2 blew me away.

To be fair though don't think there's any reason to discount nudity done well in cinema, I mean theres plenty of well respected visual art with it in elsewhere just the case that it tends to often be viewed as a cheap not very ambitious option in cinema. In something like Under The Skin for example many of the most visually ambitious scenes in it have Johansson and others in various states of undress, not that there desexualised but clearly far more than just having someone undress.

9co.gif

Last edited:
Just dropping some names, considering that will not list Gilliam/Burton because it will be cheating

Just some names, for different reasons

The Gladiator
Life of Pi
Pan's Labyrinth
PIrate's of the Caribbean (first)
LOTR (first)
The Last Samurai
Legend
Jurassic Park (first)
The Fall (Singh)
Lemony Snicket
Grand Budapest Hotel
Sin City (first)
Santa Sangre
Okja
il racconto dei racconti
Jumanji (first)

Anything Fincher, nobody shoots like him.

Just dropping some names, considering that will not list Gilliam/Burton because it will be cheating

Just some names, for different reasons

The Gladiator

No doubt.

Pretty much every movie with a lot of CGI looks like straight dog shit after a few years.

Went back and watched Avatar. Dog shit.

Went back and watched Jurassic Park 3. Dog shit.

Went back and watched original Jurassic Park with practical effects... Fucking looks decent.

CGI just isn't a good substitute for practical effects. It's fine when they use it subtly, but when you make an entire dinosaur or creature from CGI then it winds up looking like a video game after a few years. Real effects from 20 years ago hold up better. I wish directors would stop being cheap and go back to using good practical effects. It would make things look a million times better.
I was recently trying to explain the Uncanny Valley effect to a couple of kids. They knew what I meant without much explanation because kids have an eye for the difference between real and fake.

I was recently trying to explain the Uncanny Valley effect to a couple of kids. They knew what I meant without much explanation because kids have an eye for the difference between real and fake.

I think this explains why CGI has almost always been more successful for human(ish) characters who are either outright badguys or at least intended to be creepy. Look at say the Tron sequel, actual CGI Jeff Bridges at the start doesn't really work, Clu on the other hand works fine because the uncanny valley effect plays into the character.

I think this explains why CGI has almost always been more successful for human(ish) characters who are either outright badguys or at least intended to be creepy. Look at say the Tron sequel, actual CGI Jeff Bridges at the start doesn't really work, Clu on the other hand works fine because the uncanny valley effect plays into the character.
It's definitely situationally acceptable, depending on intention and tone.

I could go on for days on this shit

The Third Man
8d13f069-0613-46b4-92cd-ac9fbbbbf2ea-2060x1236.jpg

Enter the Void
enter-the-void-2009.png

Stalker
1_Ls0_Et_YDed-4kyp_POuf_Mh_BA.jpg

Night of the Hunter
night_of_the_hunter-2.jpg

Akira
original.gif
wait, none of these are pron, what did you do with the REAL Zer?

The old Zatoichi series was shot really well

Any of Loretta's movies. Also because I saw Baron Munchausen in theatres as a kid. Also because of 18 yr old Uma Thurman.

89862d14fd40c7eba47bc845b9bc3012.jpg

Any of Loretta's movies. Also because I saw Baron Munchausen in theatres as a kid. Also because of 18 yr old Uma Thurman.

89862d14fd40c7eba47bc845b9bc3012.jpg

Definitely Gilliams most underrated film for me.

Mentioned The Fall from Singh, The Cell and Mirror Mirror and Immortals all looked good too

Immortals looks like a BDSM themed channel advert, not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

Back