Opinion What does a real hero look like?

Saman Gunan, the Thai Navy Seal who died helping to plant the oxygen tanks used to save the group of kids trapped in a cave in Thailand.

cdcc57a7-6183-4aad-b571-c929377a2fae

4Mjmhv0.jpg

Beat me to it...

This thread needs more Asian love.

Unnamed soldiers fighting the communist until the very end.
Not some cold ''fighting'' in a cold war like cowards do.
0Q0Jlj5.png

And thanks to them communism took half of Europe.

Damn it,why does a guy named Peter Wang have to be one of the heroes?

I think @nac386 is trying to set us up.

Damn it,why does a guy named Peter Wang have to be one of the heroes?

I think @nac386 is trying to set us up.

That kid helped to save his classmates when an armed adult police officer hid outside like a coward.

Northern Ireland. 1971

British Paratrooper
Unnamed soldiers fighting the communist until the very end.
Not some cold ''fighting'' in a cold war like cowards do.

was killed in a police station by the IRA. A man in his mid-twenties emerged from a car and threw a suitcase containing a bomb into the lobby of the station.

Willetts thrust two children and two adults into a corner and stood above them as the 30 lbs of explosives detonated, seriously injuring him.

Seven RUC officers, two British soldiers and eighteen civilians were injured in the attack. Willetts was fatally injured by a chunk of metal from a locker which had struck him in the back of the head.

As he was being removed by ambulance, he and the injured officers were jeered by local youths who screamed obscenities at them. Willetts died after two hours on the operating table.

Source- wiki

A song about it came out and was banned by BBC radio stations in an attempt to play down the violence at the time:

Stuff like this always makes me sad.

Saman Gunan, the Thai Navy Seal who died helping to plant the oxygen tanks used to save the group of kids trapped in a cave in Thailand.

cdcc57a7-6183-4aad-b571-c929377a2fae

4Mjmhv0.jpg

A+ thread bump. I also want to point out that he was retired. He wasn't there just doing his job. He saw the predicament, is one of the few people in the world (especially in Thailand) with the underwater skills needed for such an operation, and volunteered to join the rescue team. Pure selflessness to save those boys

@Smok3r get the fuck out of here and go back to the meme thread. This thread is supposed to genuinely give some acknowledgement and props and honor to true heros

that one Canadian Sergeant at Arms guy or whatever (sorry, forgot the title) that killed the Parliament shooter was a straight G

"Hold up the train. Ammunition ship afire in harbour making for Pier 6 and will explode. Guess this will be my last message. Good-bye boys."

A+ thread bump. I also want to point out that he was retired. He wasn't there just doing his job. He saw the predicament, is one of the few people in the world (especially in Thailand) with the underwater skills needed for such an operation, and volunteered to join the rescue team. Pure selflessness to save those boys

Absolutely, that's a great point. He was there because he cared enough to put himself at risk to save those kids. Everyone else there deserves a shout out too, a lot of people helped, but I'll specifically point out the British divers who went to Thailand just to help and were the first ones to locate the kids 2 miles deep in the cave.

British cave divers John Volanthen and Richard Stanton.

1-28.jpg

that one Canadian Sergeant at Arms guy or whatever (sorry, forgot the title) that killed the Parliament shooter was a straight G

yup, kevin vickers

also famous for subduing some twat protesting british troop graves whilst serving as canadian ambassador to ireland

II%20TG%20GRANGEGOR_2.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely, that's a great point. He was there because he cared enough to put himself at risk to save those kids. Everyone else there deserves a shout out too, a lot of people helped, but I'll specifically point out the British divers who went to Thailand just to help and were the first ones to locate the kids 2 miles deep in the cave.

1-28.jpg
hats off to those guys, I tried cave diving once and that was not for me. Did a cave in central Florida that would make what these guys did look like an amusement park ride. That is some scary shit, if you've never scuba dived before let me tell you, the first time i put on a tank and went under in a pool I had a little bit of a claustrophobic panic attack, but got over it. The cave dive was supervised, marked and had a guide line and still you feel like everything is closing in on you. I couldn't even imagine doing that in a situation like that. Hats off to everyone that involved in that rescue.

1-28.jpg
2 MILES? what in blazes? I gotta read up on the story

2 MILES? what in blazes? I gotta read up on the story

It is an insane story. I followed it closely, and became pretty invested in seeing those kids and their coach rescued.

They are a soccer team and they hiked into the cave for team building. They were miles deep when the monsoon rains flooded the cave and trapped the kids and their coach deep in the cave. They drank water off the rocks, and the coach helped them to meditate because he was a former Monk.

When they found the kids after like 10 days, they seemed in great spirits for kids who have been trapped in a dark cave for 10 days. Then they had to come up with an elaborate plan to drain sections of the cave and send in rescue divers. It really is incredible. The man who died had the difficult job of planting air tanks along the way to aid in the rescue. I'm expecting the Clint Eastwood movie on it to come out next year.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back