I'm about to join a boxing club, is it too late to train?

Hi i'm 21 years of age and I always wanted to a combat sport. Is it too late for boxing. I also have grand mal siezures. But I was always told I could fight since I was a fast southpaw. My dad was an amateur he even trained me some. So is it too late?
It's not too late at all age wise, especially if you already have some knowledge, but I'm not sure what impact your illness may have.

Hi i'm 21 years of age and I always wanted to a combat sport. Is it too late for boxing. I also have grand mal siezures. But I was always told I could fight since I was a fast southpaw. My dad was an amateur he even trained me some. So is it too late?

Hey mate. At 21 you have heaps of time to get into the sport. I fought from when I was 12 - 17 and then took a break until I rejoined a gym at 23. By that time I regarded myself as a beginner again because I was so rusty, It took a few months but I returned to the level of skill I had at a younger age. For you being 21 you have a very good chance of getting quite good at boxing. I know people who only took up boxing at 28 and have won national titles as pros by the time they are 31.

Jump in and give it a go.

The only danger I can see for you is your seizures, from what I understand Grand Mal seizures can be linked to epilepsy. Would hits to the head trigger them? Or would exhaustion trigger them. I'd consult with your doctor before hand (Doctors generally say don't box anyway) But just tell them your mind is made up and you want to know the dangers with your seizures and head blows.

Ha! 21?....

I started at 31. One of the better choices I made.

Yeah I will just talk to my doctor first and see about it, then hopefully I can get an approval.

go talk to your doctors. They'll know more than we ever will.

You'll be fine agewise, if thats your concern, but none of us are qualified to give advice on seizures.

Dunno about how the seizures would affect things; that's a question for a doctor.

However, Ron Lyle started boxing in his late 20s. He proved good enough to become a top contender, and clubbed a prime Foreman to the canvas. Twice.

Get in there and train man. I'd say a bit late to go pro but get in the gym and put those hands to good use.

Do BJJ or something that is competitive that doesn't involved getting hit in the head. You just got dealt bad cards. No sense in possibly making your condition much worse. This is all for fun and to stay in shape. Don't start imagining becoming a world champion.

don't do boxing if you plan on fighting, you're not too old but the seizures can happen at the worst times. If you want to just get in shape then go ahead.

Do something like Jiu Jitsu because it's more controlled by both players in a closer proximity

If your dad trained you then you're not starting from scratch.
People have started older than you and became world champions.
Idk about competing though, that'll be in the hands of your choach to decide.
I started training from scratch at 24 and training 2-3 times a day, 6 days a week hoping to improve as fast as I can and maybe get a fight scheduled in the near future.

even if it doesn't work out, fuck it, it's a hobby u like and good supersize. nothing wrong with drilling and learning new shit.

Back