Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

Yup, that’s why he shouldn’t get paid
This mentality is so juvenile. Just because there was someone ready to fight, doesn't mean the fight is available. The fight was supposed to be against Holloway, for the title. For which Ortega fulfilled all his obligations. Do you guys not understand the difference between a 3 month training camp for a specific opponent, versus, an opponent at 2 days notice? Or do you dummies just like parroting what Dana and his minions say?

Treated fairly? They gave him a chance at a payday. He said no, I went to college (training camp) to prepare for a new job but I don't show on the first day (fight night) do I deserve to get paid?
Yeah but what if 2 days before your start date, they tell you will be working as a plumber instead as an accountant, which is what you went to college for? You'll get paid the same, but if you can't do the job, you don't get the bonus that was part of the contract. Is that fair treatment?

Yeah but what if 2 days before your start date, they tell you will be working as a plumber instead as an accountant, which is what you went to college for? You'll get paid the same, but if you can't do the job, you don't get the bonus that was part of the contract. Is that fair treatment?

He’s still fighting. He didn’t change professions at all. He stepped in to fight Frankie Edgar on a short notice so we know he’s willing to fight without prep time.

This mentality is so juvenile. Just because there was someone ready to fight, doesn't mean the fight is available. The fight was supposed to be against Holloway, for the title. For which Ortega fulfilled all his obligations. Do you guys not understand the difference between a 3 month training camp for a specific opponent, versus, an opponent at 2 days notice? Or do you dummies just like parroting what Dana and his minions say?
I for one just haven’t heard a logical argument in the other direction.

The UFC contract states you agree to fight on a particular night, at a particular weight, for particular pay. If your opponent is injured, a replacement may be found (if one isn’t found because it’s too close to the fight, then you get paid).

Ortega essentially nulled the contract by turning down the replacement, hence no pay. If you’re arguing it shouldn’t be that way, then sure. Maybe it’s dickish. But the UFC more than fulfilled their obligations. Jobs get cancelled, it’s life. D5528E9E-E745-4DB9-8EBF-2D3410E5E022.png

Lmao. Guy does promotion for a company, handles media, promotes the UFC brand, influences ticket and PPV sales, and some of you cucks are all acting like he's being outrageous for expecting some compensation

Even independent contractors more often than not receive compensation for partially completed work.

The fighters need to be more protected by the contract they are pigeon-holed into signing.

As for the "NO FIGHTER WILL EVER ACCEPT A REPLACEMENT FIGHT IF THEY GET PAID HUEHUEHE" argument;

two things. 1. offer an incentive to take replacement fights. holy fucking shit, right? i know, hard to come up with that idea. 2. by saying this, you're implying they should be okay with doing all the pre-fight work for the UFC for free. including media, promotion, letting them use their image, etc. that's cuck labor.
He boosted sales by not fighting on the card?

<23>

Fight promotion isn't work?
Media obligations isn't work?
Promo shoots aren't work?

All of those things were done by Ortega that lead directly to the UFC profiting.
Again, you wanna argue they should pay him just to be nice, that's one thing. Saying he provided a service that made them money is false. The promotion didn't make them anything because he didn't fight on the card. That was waste of time and money for them as well.

I for one just haven’t heard a logical argument in the other direction.

The UFC contract states you agree to fight on a particular night, at a particular weight, for particular pay. If your opponent is injured, a replacement may be found (if one isn’t found because it’s too close to the fight, then you get paid).

Ortega essentially nulled the contract by turning down the replacement, hence no pay. If you’re arguing it shouldn’t be that way, then sure. Maybe it’s dickish. But the UFC more than fulfilled their obligations. Jobs get cancelled, it’s life. View attachment 405721
Cue eight million more dumb analogies that don't matter, because this is what's in their contract.

Exactly lmaooooo. When the UFC finds you a replacement and you turn it down, it shows you dont want to come do your job (fight). Hopefully Dana sticks to that word and doesn't pay Ortega a dime.

Normally I stand with the fighter, but Ortega just refused a couple of fights that made sense. So f*ck this dude. Good move from Dana.

No doubt Ortega’s contract was to fight Max OR if Max can’t make the fight a fighter of UFC’s choice.

Amazes me how these guys sign these contracts and then are upset when the ufc follows through with the contract they all agreed to.

Then Ortega talks about being a stand up guy who earns his keep. Well bro, you didn’t fulfill your end of the deal. The ufc did exactly what the contract states and you walked off the job.

Ortega, wtf do you expect is going to happen???? You fucked your employer, broke the contract, and left them in a shitty position which cost lots of ppv buys.

Then Ortega after all this goes in and asks for money, lol.

Of course they where pissed off and angry.

So if you get ready for work in the morning make your commute get there and they say nevermind no work today you are cool with getting nothing for that?

Now imagine you been dieting and miserable cutting weight for weeks then get nothing.

I understand not getting full pay but there should be some sort of compensation
Except it wasn't the UFC's fault the fight fell through. Plus, they found replacements for Ortega to fight so he can stay on the card.

fighters should at least be compensated with *something* in these cases. Ortega went through a full camp, did media obligations in the lead-up, etc...all for nothing, because his opponent didn't make it to fight night and he didn't bend over and take a short-notice replacement?

this is *exactly* why there needs to be a fighters' org, and where contracts aren't brutally one-sided in favour of the UFC.

the discretion the UFC has with fighter compensation is ridiculous.

fighters should at least be compensated with *something* in these cases. Ortega went through a full camp, did media obligations in the lead-up, etc...all for nothing, because his opponent didn't make it to fight night and he didn't bend over and take a short-notice replacement?

It’s not bending over, it’s doing what you contractly agreed to. Ortega backed out of what he said he was going to do.

Thats what the definition of show money is suppose to be. If a fighter signs a contract and makes weight on the date its a show.

I fully understand him turning down the last minute fights to wait for a title shot. But it’s mind fucking to me that he was expecting to be paid show money when he turned down two suitable replacements. I feel like anyone with common sense knows that if you opt to wait for a title shot instead of fighting, it comes at the expense of your purse.

I am on the fence.

The guy was supposed to show up prepared to fight, and he did that, though he didn’t fight.

Sucks for guys in his shoes when the other fighter pulls out that close to the fight.

Which two fighters was he offered to fight against?

This, Ortega was fullfilling his part of the contract, the UFC wanted to change the contract, Ortega refused, the UFC broke the contract, they should definitely compensate him. This should already be in fighters contracts
The contract is not for a particular person, that is the bout agreement which is a separate entity from the fighters contract.

Technically he did work. He showed up for all the media and shit before the fight. He should get paid for that, regardless of how little it is. UFC typical greedy assholes who try to make you do all the work, but take the biggest cut when it comes down to how much your fight sells. If they want people to self promote for free, then who the fuck needs a promotion? If people are coming to see me fight, give me the money. USA and their typical shady business practices of robbing people of their money.
He did get paid. UFC provided transportation, lodging and per diem for every day he was there. he is not entitled to any form of hourly compensation and only those things for non fight days.

Fight promotion isn't work?
Media obligations isn't work?
Promo shoots aren't work?

All of those things were done by Ortega that lead directly to the UFC profiting.
They are all compensated for by transportation, lodging and per diem.

It’s not bending over, it’s doing what you contractly agreed to. Ortega backed out of what he said he was going to do.

he most certainly did not...

he contractually agreed to fight Max Holloway for the UFC LW title, not "an opponent TBD, days before the event" for some bullshit interim title.

Back