Defense Contributions of Nato Countries vs the Social Welfare Spending of Nato Countries

All you ever hear from dems and the left is how the rich "have to pay their fair share".
What's the problem here? Or is that mindset applied very selectively?
They have no problem extracting money from our own citizens, but when it comes to our so-called allies, meh, don't worry about it?
I love how Trump putting America's interests first is causing so much anguish amongst the usual suspects.

It's because he speaks without thinking and has almost no real knowledge on any subject. Plus he's a compulsive liar and con man so lying is part of his character.

But that's why you guys love him, "he calls it the way he sees it"

So he was in the range (72%) but the 90% was wrong, but he was within the range he stated.

So you were wrong about that.

I have been critical of plenty of how he does things.

However I'm still glad he won over Hillary.

Trump was quoted “ we ot 70%-90% of nato budget”

Another blatant lie by the idiot in charge

Well to be fair if you go by the chart in the OP the US spent $685,957 billion while the rest of the nations combined spent $270,661 billion which totals $956,636 billion. In turn $685,957 billion (U.S.) is 72% of the total $956,636 billion that equals all of the countries combined.

Keep in mind that these numbers are what each country spends on their overall defense budget. There isn't some exclusive Nato bank account, It's just that every country is expected to muster up at least 2% of there GDP as part of their defense budget to do their part to be in this allied force.

But the U.S. being the world police is the one that does most of the heavy lifting globally when compared to the presence of these other Nato countries, so realistically 70% to 90% isn't that far of a stretch.

@oldshadow You kind of beat me to it, but this should elaborate.

Last edited:
So would I, but I don't live in La La land and you can't have one without the other. Without the U.S. the two largest military powers (by a large margin) would be China and Russia.

russia and china arent going to attack nuclear armed countries. and why would china attack anyone in the west? their economy would collapse, would it not?

Just like I quoted and linked ...........72%............
U.S. spending isn’t all for NATO
But what do these numbers mean? The spending doesn’t represent money spent on behalf of NATO, nor for NATO. They’re the total defense budgets of NATO members. For 2017, the defense spending of all NATO members totaled about $957 billion.

The United States spent $686 billion on all of its defense spending across the globe for that year.

Gordon Adams, professor emeritus at American University’s School of International Service, said the president’s wording is "bizarre" given that the burden for defense is quite different for the United States and European nations.

"U.S. defense missions are global, not just European," he said, "while the allies spend solely for European defense."
read that

russia and china arent going to attack nuclear armed countries. and why would china attack anyone in the west? their economy would collapse, would it not?

In this day and age yes, but Nato was founded in 1949 and without the U.S. at the helm who knows what would have happened. Even in this day and age who would you trust more as the number one super power? The US, Russia, or China?

read that

So like he said it depends on how you add it up.

I'm sure each side can twist it to support what they want.

My question is only what do we get for our money and is it worth it.

I don't think it's worth what we are putting in .

In this day and age yes, but Nato was founded in 1949 and without the U.S. at the helm who knows what would have happened. Even in this day and age who would you trust more as the number one super power? The US, Russia, or China?

none of that really has anything to do with their NATO spending today. if anything, id almost argue that NATOs most important role today is an economic one. it ensures stability and friendships (until the current president came around).

i dont think if NATO were gone, that anyone would attack western europe anyway. they STILL might not need to increase military spending, even if the US werent "protecting them" in NATO. it would benefit almost no one to upend the global economy like that, and no one wants to be nuked.

So like he said it depends on how you add it up.

I'm sure each side can twist it to support what they want.

My question is only what do we get for our money and is it worth it.

I don't think it's worth what we are putting in .
you get exactly what you guys want..... an empire, a world order you helped create. That you are now in the process of dismantling for shits and giggles

It says they pay 22% into the common fund. There is more to the issue than simply screaming out a %. Like your beloved trump has done yet again.

That common fund is literally peanuts compared to what the U.S. dumps in their military globally compared to those other countries though. Like your source says it's an apple and oranges comparison, but not entirely false as it's fair to say that the U.S. more than likely contributes 70% to 90% more money than the rest of Nato countries combined to global causes.

Perhaps you should read the article to better understand US spending in regards to NATO.

Have a nice day though this convo us about done

Again what do we get out of it for our money and is it worth it.

I've read a lot about what we get for our money and I dont think we are getting our money's worth.

Sounds like we should step back a bit.

That common fund is literally peanuts compared to what the U.S. dumps in their military globally compared to those other countries though. Like your source says it's an apple and oranges comparison, but not entirely false as it's fair to say that the U.S. more than likely contributes 70% to 90% more money than the rest of Nato countries combined to global causes.

Like I said read he fucking article to understand why. You people are dense as fucking rocks.

Trump once again just says shit. How many fucking times has this happened since the election.

Like when he applauded the Australian PM for having a much better healthcare system than America on the eve of a repeal vote on the ACA and after trashing universal healthcare.

And no one is saying other countries can't contribute more money but at least understand why these things are the way they are. Trump doesn't understand any of this.

Again what do we get out of it for our money and is it worth it.

I've read a lot about what we get for our money and I dont think we are getting our money's worth.

Sounds like we should step back a bit.

Is it worth having allies for about 70 years? Lol

Honestly please don't reply to me. I'm done talking to you.

you get exactly what you guys want..... an empire, a world order you helped create. That you are now in the process of dismantling for shits and giggles

Yea we did it all by ourselves, this world order you are talking about.

Back