Popular games of the past that you just couldn’t play

I kind of feel the same about this series, i did however really enjoy one of them(i think it may have been 3)
I really enjoyed 3 but coudnt get into 4. Might give 5 a shot if I can get it cheap

The original Deus Ex. It plays horribly by modern standards even compared to older titles like Half-Life, Duke 3D, and DOOM.

Same here. It was obnoxiously hard and I got lost a lot. I really tried to push through it, but eventually gave up on it.

Ocarina of Time is another. Heralded by many as the greatest game of all time, but I hated it. I played it when it was a bit old and I was constantly lost, and the combat was shit. It didn't helped I had just played DMC3, the game with the greatest combat system to date.

every time i click on this thread, more posts are deleted.

it's freakin' weird. hahahaha

Final Fantasy series. I liked some western turn based rpg’s like Baldur’s Gate and Planescape Torment but the jrpg’s have just never done anything for me.

The Witcher 2.

Control scheme made me want to kick puppies. And like, cute lab or malamute or Akita puppies not some ugly Pomeranian bullshit puppies.

Medieval, some Splinter Cell games, Hitman, Ico

You're an indie hipster or a CoD dudebro?
Actually, I just really suck at a lot of games or lose interest quickly.

There are quite a few I named that I would like to sit down and give an actual try if I find some time.

I loved the original Fallout games though but never really got into the D&D format CRPGs. Closest thing I've played is Dragon Age: Origins. I do have Planescape: Torment though, so I'll get through that at some point.

Elder Scrolls games. I've always found the combat system to be atrocious. Not a fan of melee combat in first person, except for Chivalry.

I know I'm missing out on otherwise fantastic games, but I can't get over that hurdle.
Specifically Morrowind for me. I tried to revisit it a few years ago, after the rose tint wore off, I just couldn't get past the grind-y first 20+ hours or so, where you suck at everything and are terrified of anything bigger than rats and bugs. There's a chance to miss melee if your skill level is too low; mana doesn't regenerate, so fuck magic users; those damned flying things; etc.

Quake: It just wasn't Doom, so that made it automatically bad for me. I've played Quake 3 Arena a bit, but that's about it.

Halo: It stressed me out, with the Xbox controls and whatnot. Playing it with my older, psychopatically competitive brother over a holiday weekend didn't help either.

The Sims: Is this really a game? Trying to get your character to go potty in five minutes or less.

Civilization 4/5: I feel like these Firaxis games are great, but just not for me. Felt like the game mechanics sorta boxed me in and didn't give me any leeway for actually doing anything fun.

All the Marios: Just meh.

Zelda, A Link To The Past: Missed the train by a couple of years. If I'd had a nintendo when I was nine, instead of a C64, I'd have played this game until my fingers and eyes bled. By the time I had access to it, I was too old plus the game was a bit dated.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: Fell in the crack between Morrowind and Skyrim. Oblivion felt incredibly bland compared to the other two. Weird, since they're all essentially the same game.

Breath of the Wild for me. I was really into it for about 15 hours or so. Once I got to the 2nd guardian or whatever they are called I went on vacation and when I got back I never got the urge to pick it up again.

Assassin's Creed Origins. I just do not get the praise for this game. I feel like it's a mediocre mish-mash of games. I wish this series had gone in a different direction.

Destiny and the Division. Played the betas for both and never cared to play them again.

Breath of the Wild for me. I was really into it for about 15 hours or so. Once I got to the 2nd guardian or whatever they are called I went on vacation and when I got back I never got the urge to pick it up again.

Assassin's Creed Origins. I just do not get the praise for this game. I feel like it's a mediocre mish-mash of games. I wish this series had gone in a different direction.

Destiny and the Division. Played the betas for both and never cared to play them again.

Is that the one where you start out not knowing what the hell is going on and they send you in like a matrix load?

I couldn’t get into that one, I played the crap out of the first one(might have been the second) when it came out by recommendations from a friend.

Horizon: Zero Dawn. The bad voice acting, lame quests and stilted, robotic facial animation made me quit after I got to the second hub town. Dull game all around but I also think these kinds of console third person story heavy games aren't my cup of tea anymore. See: The Last of Us, Uncharted, the latest God of War, etc. I really should just sell my PS4.

Horizon: Zero Dawn. The bad voice acting, lame quests and stilted, robotic facial animation made me quit after I got to the second hub town. Dull game all around but I also think these kinds of console third person story heavy games aren't my cup of tea anymore. See: The Last of Us, Uncharted, the latest God of War, etc. I really should just sell my PS4.
That must suck.

Basically every Zelda since A Link to the Past.

I've been thinking of getting a PS4 specifically for Horizon Zero Dawn. Just like I got a PS3 specifically for Uncharted. tbf I liked Uncharted, but after that I barely played anything and my PS3 has been a youtube machine ever since

If you don't enjoy Mass Effect, we probably can't be friends.
And that's okay.
On topic, I have a real love-hate relationship with Assassin's Creed. There's always 25% of the game that intrigues me and then 75% than makes me wonder how these people still have jobs.

That must suck.

Not really. I've been addicted to Total War: Warhammer 2 since last year and my Steam backlog is gigantic with a bunch of great games I have barely touched like the Divinity games, Kingdom Come, the XCOM 2 expansion, Crusader Kings 2 and the upcoming Yakuza PC titles. The PS4 was my go to 98% Destiny / 2% Bloodborne console for the longest time. I dropped Destiny 2 a month after release and really haven't played on it much since. I'm also a bit tired of paying for online when I could use that money to buy discounted games I won't play for a couple years.

I've been thinking of getting a PS4 specifically for Horizon Zero Dawn. Just like I got a PS3 specifically for Uncharted. tbf I liked Uncharted, but after that I barely played anything and my PS3 has been a youtube machine ever since

Do it. There are a bunch of good action games (Bloodborne is the best console game released this gen imo) on that system and more to come. It's definitely a well-made game and there's a reason it sold so well and was so well received by players. I'm more into sandbox strategy games these days so HZ:D was a bad purchase in hindsight. Bought into the hype a bit too much.

Tried fallout 3 and sold it back...maybe I was too imlatient but id rather play GTA 5 or Sleeping Dogs some shit like that.

Just Cause 1. The dude couldn't run straight in an action game. The shooting was shit as well, even for the time. Got a feeling it was rushed. I really wanted to like it back then since I got my games from one of two Supermarkets with a small section for vids. Selection was usually the same for 6 months with a big release every now and then in between restocks.

Back