Defense Contributions of Nato Countries vs the Social Welfare Spending of Nato Countries

Yea we did it all by ourselves, this world order you are talking about.
I said "you helped create".... which you did. Are you trying to deny that America was a massive influence on the world after WW2?

Like I said read he fucking article to understand why. You people are dense as fucking rocks.

Trump once again just says shit. How many fucking times has this happened since the election.

Like when he applauded the Australian PM for having a much better healthcare system than America on the eve of a repeal vote on the ACA and after trashing universal healthcare.

And no one is saying other countries can't contribute more money but at least understand why these things are the way they are. Trump doesn't understand any of this.

I read the article and my post (#84) is basically a paraphrase of it. There is no need to throw around low brow insults either.

True and those countries/Obama negotiated an agreement to get up to 2% by 2025. Trump isn't addressing a new problem but he is trying to push the compliance period forward despite the prior agreement. That's where the concerns start for me. We're renegotiating a deal on the fly and I think that always hurts relationships when done poorly.

I think that weakening the Western alliance or killing NATO altogether (or at least the U.S. leaving) is the ultimate goal of Trump and Putin (I think Trump is mostly too stupid to get it, but that's what he's being pushed into doing). In other words, it's not an incidental, unfortunate side effect of a desire to speed things up.

I said "you helped create".... which you did. Are you trying to deny that America was a massive influence on the world after WW2?

No, we along with the UK and a few others.

We did shit we should not have in a way that we should not have.

We need to back off or should have backed off some time ago.

No, we along with the UK and a few others.

We did shit we should not have in a way that we should not have.

We need to back off or should have backed off some time ago.
then back off and let us get on with keeping our continent safe. Nobody is asking you to stay. We are asking you to stop being childish

You’re being obtuse.

In what way? It's a bunch of semantics really?

1. The U.S. budget defense makes up 72% of all of the Nato countries combined.

2. There is one common fund that all countries contribute to which is $2.5 billion which basically keeps some offices open.

3. The U.S. pays 1/3 of that common cost at $550 million

4. The U.S. being the world police contributes the majority of global military spending globally when compared to those other Nato countries.

Like I sad it's semantics. Take Trumps post how you want, but it can be right or wrong and your source politifact (which has a tendency to be left wing bias) even states that.

"Trump’s statement contains just an element of truth, ignoring critical facts that would give a different impression"

Last edited:
then back off and let us get on with keeping our continent safe. Nobody is asking you to stay. We are asking you to stop being childish

Childish how. Some of the stuff Trump says then I agree.
I'm fine with and want to close every base we have anywhere we are not wanted and even most where we are.

Sounds like a win, win to me.

In what way? It's a bunch of semantics really?

1. The U.S. budget defense makes up 72% of all of the Nato countries combined.

2. There is one common fund that all countries contribute to which has $2.5 billion witch basically keeps some offices open.

3. The U.S. pays 1/3 of that common cost at $550 million

4. The U.S. being the world police contributes the majority of global military spending globally when compared to those other Nato countries.

Like I sad it's semantics take Trumps post how you want, but it can be right or wrong and your source politifact (which has a tendency to be left wing bias) even states that.

"Trump’s statement contains just an element of truth, ignoring critical facts that would give a different impression"

Yes semantics are important here.

Childish how. Some of the stuff Trump says then I agree.
I'm fine with and want to close every base we have anywhere we are not wanted and even most where we are.

Sounds like a win, win to me.
this post is childish lol.... its basically America saying "its my ball and Im not playing anymore..... Im going home". Cool, take your ball and go home. We will adjust

this post is childish lol.... its basically America saying "its my ball and Im not playing anymore..... Im going home". Cool, take your ball and go home. We will adjust

So we can't please you unless we just let you run things how you want it and we pay for it in manpower and money.

You can't have it both ways.

I'm all for letting people alone and us staying out of shit.

But like I said .....damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I would rather just don't and stay out of shit.

So we can't please you unless we just let you run things how you want it and we pay for it in manpower and money.

You can't have it both ways.

I'm all for letting people alone and us staying out of shit.

But like I said .....damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I would rather just don't and stay out of shit.
its an alliance..... nobody "runs things", they are agreed among allies. America wanted to play empire for years, and we obliged. You cant turn around and blame us now because you think its unfair. This is what you wanted

its an alliance..... nobody "runs things", they are agreed among allies. America wanted to play empire for years, and we obliged. You cant turn around and blame us now because you think its unfair. This is what you wanted

And we were wrong and you didn't just go along. You agreed and wanted it as long as we were doing the heavy lifting.

We should step back with money and also let others lead. We shouod reduce our role all the way around.

And we were wrong and you didn't just go along. You agreed and wanted it as long as we were doing the heavy lifting.

We should step back with money and also let others lead. We shouod reduce our role all the way around.
We were allies, America wanted to become the leader of the free world and you were in the best position to do so after WW2 because we were rebuilding our nations. So while we went along with it, it was necessary. If you dont want to be the big chief anymore then thats fine with us..... you guys are not someone Id want to be having to rely on right about now anyway!

We were allies, America wanted to become the leader of the free world and you were in the best position to do so after WW2 because we were rebuilding our nations. So while we went along with it, it was necessary. If you dont want to be the big chief anymore then thats fine with us..... you guys are not someone Id want to be having to rely on right about now anyway!

Like I said it sounds like a win, win.

Fair enough :D

I'm not trying to be a dick. I only brought this up because I don't believe trump has any understanding about NATO or its role. I'm not against other countries giving more either.

But reading the article adds more to the story than what's being told

I'm not trying to be a dick. I only brought this up because I don't believe trump has any understanding about NATO or its role. I'm not against other countries giving more either.

But reading the article adds more to the story than what's being told

I can agree. I was just saying that the tweet was both right and wrong and was kind of playing devils advocate. Either way it was way too broad of a statement.

Back