Youtube and Facebook Invests $100 Million To Fight 'Fake News' In Time For 2018 & 2020 Elections

If all you got is censorship, you got nothing.

Also if the public isn't educated enough to decipher real from fake, who's fault is that?

It's not conservatives that are dominating the education sector.

Even subtle both-siding is not subtle these days. We know which way the fakes break, predominantly, so we know who this hurts. It's not that one side will suppress more of the other side, it's that one side produces more fakery, and will then claim bias, which will also be fake news.

I'm not sure how this reflects on my post. My concern is if Wikipedia is used as assisted reading to combat this problem, it will then become a target as well and possibly get compromised more as a result.

That is what propagandists count on. They pick a false "feeling" that people have, and they convince them that it is not only true, but worse than they ever imagined.

The statistics he posted are completely made up. The source (crime statistics bureau San Francisco) is completely fake. They are just pulled out of thin air.

Here are the fake statistics next to the real statistics from the FBI:

So everything was blown way out of proportion to make black people seem like they were killing everybody, and white people were not killing anybody. The idea of the meme is to push the false narrative that white people are just victims of black people, and black people are out killing everybody. Of course, the reality (which to your credit, you correctly predicted) is that the vast majority of white homicide victims are actually killed by other white people.

But whoever created that meme knew that a lot of people are ignorant to the facts, and that their prejudice would make them believe anything that confirms their prejudice. That's how effective propaganda works.
Let me just say before I get into it, that I honestly have no idea how anyone could be stupid enough not to see through those statistics. Its a remarkable condemnation of the average consumers intelligence.

I despise things like this, the crime rate in the black community is a massive problem that doesn't get addressed nearly enough. If you want to spur discussion of it, then why lie?

But what I wanted to bring attention to was your description of the real statistics. Do you not see how your description was almost as misleading as the original stats given? Its clear that the those idiotic stats weren't meant to be as a percentage of the total murders. I don't even know what they were supposed to be honestly but when it lists one of them as 97% its and another as 81% then it becomes clear its not even theoretically meant to be interpreted the way that you did.

I honestly don't know how this can work. The western mainstream media along with all of the "fact checking" sites listed the existence of no-go zones in Europe as a lie for more then a decade when they clearly existed in a number of European countries. That is a whopper of a lie that is still being pushed by much of the mainstream media.

There are dozens of major news stories that are at the very least incredibly deceptive that come out of the mainstream media every month. I am skeptical of much of what I hear from secondary sources but I simply don't trust main stream news providers at all at this point.

But what I wanted to bring attention to was your description of the real statistics. Do you not see how your description was almost as misleading as the original stats given? Its clear that the those idiotic stats weren't meant to be as a percentage of the total murders. I don't even know what they were supposed to be honestly but when it lists one of them as 97% its and another as 81% then it becomes clear its not even theoretically meant to be interpreted the way that you did.

I interpreted it correctly, you're just getting a bit mixed up. They are not claiming that 81% of all murders are blacks murdering whites. They are claiming that 81% of white murder victims were murdered by black people. The correct statistic would be 15%.

So instead of saying the truth, which is that 85% of the time a white person is murdered, they are murdered by another white person. They are completely lying and saying that 81% of the time a white person is murdered, it's a black person who does it. Basically, they are lying so hard it's pretty much the exact opposite of the truth.

has any person in history ever literally chose a political candidate due to a meme on FB?

or anything social media related really?

In order to believe this, you have to believe that FB memes have more power to change people's opinions than 24 news networks and a truckload of print and online journalism outlets, very few of those lean right in their coverage and writing staff.

The Watch news section will feature news videos from national and local news orgs, and users will see a personalized feed based on the publishers they follow and what their friends are watching.

This is the major problem, IMO.

"... users will see a personalized feed based on the publishers they follow and what their friends are watching."

A major, major problem with the internet is the formation of echo chambers, where people only hear what they "like"and are never challenged. They surround themselves with like-minded people and become further and further entrenched in their views. This is how fake news spreads so quickly and it's exactly what Cambridge Analytica took advantage of.

It's no longer "the news", it's now "their news" and "our news". Truth and fiction is becoming entirely subjective and interchangeable depending on your political affiliation.

I have no idea how this problem can be solved.

Let me guess, the answer involves a benevolent AI?

Translation- youtube and facebook will decide what political views you get to hear this election cycle.

The fact that anyone gets their news from Facebook or YouTube is a much bigger problem.

Lots of people do.

Unfortunately and people will just believe things they see without doing any research. I saw all kinds of crazy stuff on Facebook during the election.

The problem with the news on these sites is that they target only certain agendas like school shootings or just about any thing that deals with Trump and guns.

Sure, since you asked nicely.

Here's one during the election that Trump fell for.

8648932f7e2e830c094a1adfc57267ed4eaae92a.png

Here's one that has been posted in the meme thread like 3 or 4 times in the last week.

36317891_1283240151807126_7130246517155168256_n.jpg
I notice on that Trump tweet it's not a verified account.

It would be ironic of you to make a post about Trump apparently falling for something false and not even showing a real source for it. That would almost be fake news if this in fact the case.

This is the major problem, IMO.

"... users will see a personalized feed based on the publishers they follow and what their friends are watching."

A major, major problem with the internet is the formation of echo chambers, where people only hear what they "like"and are never challenged. They surround themselves with like-minded people and become further and further entrenched in their views. This is how fake news spreads so quickly and it's exactly what Cambridge Analytica took advantage of.

It's no longer "the news", it's now "their news" and "our news". Truth and fiction is becoming entirely subjective and interchangeable depending on your political affiliation.

I have no idea how this problem can be solved.

Youtube already has a trending page that is full of left wing news and comedy that is highlighted to influence opinion. If you are conservative, all you have to do is click trending for videos from Late night comedians, VOX, The View, and what ever LGBT video they are promoting that month. You don't have that issue with liberals because all of the videos that differ from their views are getting removed and censored.

Youtube already has a trending page that is full of left wing news and comedy that is highlighted to influence opinion. If you are conservative, all you have to do is click trending for videos from Late night comedians, VOX, The View, and what ever LGBT video they are promoting that month. You don't have that issue with liberals because all of the videos that differ from their views are getting removed and censored.

You basically just illustrated the result of the problem I was talking about.

I didn't mention liberal or conservative in my post, but you somehow managed to turn it in to an "us vs them" thing.

You seem to believe it's fact that YouTube is more supportive of liberals and somehow conservative viewpoints are being censored. I'm certain there are people who would say the exact opposite because their YouTube page shows them different things than your YouTube page does.

People, please, stop turning every fucking thing in to "Us vs Them". This is not a left vs right issue. It's a universal issue and needs to be discussed as such.

Both sides are being played and both sides are being manipulated. Constantly playing in to that just results in further disintegration and separation.

To many people, politics has become nothing but a sport. It's not about improving the country any more. Nothing else matters but "my team winning." This is a MASSIVE problem.

I notice on that Trump tweet it's not a verified account.

It would be ironic of you to make a post about Trump apparently falling for something false and not even showing a real source for it. That would almost be fake news if this in fact the case.

Is this a serious post? Why wouldn't you just Google this so that you don't put yourself out there like that?

can't figure out if they actually believe that 12 Russian trolls somehow had more of an impact that all the major US media outlets combined.........

like surely when nobody is around, they have to admit it's all completely bullshit and they are just butthurt nobody likes them, right?

That's goes far beyond them being butthurt about people not liking them. The entire is gonna collapse in the near future if they cant regain control of information and narratives. This is survival for them.

The biggest issue is actually that once people find out that they were fooled, they rationalize why they believed it. They say, "Sure, I was tricked, but only because it's not that far off, the idea of it is correct." It's even worse when it gets to that point, because that means they've really dug their feet in and decided that facts are not more important than how they feel.
Yep.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/9...n-with-brick-go-back-to-your-country.3794751/

Back