Forced to be a pressure fighter

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So I am going with friends to do boxing in a gym. It is like group privates and we spar a lot. There is only one guy at my size and the rest are giants. Two of the guys are like 190 and over 90 kg. While I am at 175 81 kg.

Obviously I have to pressure them and get in my distance. They are with less experience than me but our coaches teach them well in distance management and punch selection. It is damn hard to pass trough their jab and obviously they have the upper hand to control me.

So in order to fight them I really have to pressure a lot and up the tempo of the rounds against these guys.

However I am not really getting proper coaching how to pressure.

I know about ring cutting. I am trying to be aware.

I know I need to use way more slips but I am not really training them enough.

I was looking even at youtube on guides on how to pressure. But there was nothing really. Watched a lot of GGG but does not look like a role model for my situation.

Really looking into hints and tips of what I can work on and some explanations, tactics, strategies and set ups.

Lucky you, see it a a good experience. I am 1,78 and the tallest of the gym , wish I ´d have one of your friends as partners.

Just walk straight in, eating punches. Once they get worried that they're hurting you they will hesitate for a moment. That will be your chance to get inside with a KO uppercut! Good luck!

I'm kidding but there is an element of truth to what I'm saying. To get inside you need to get through their range and that might mean taking something on the way in, with the trick being to of course block/deflect effectively. There are guys that pretty much just put up high blocks with elbows on both sides of their heads while going in. Part of the trick is the timing and the suprise of it -- you have to go in fast and unexpectedly. If you just go into a block and walk in, then they will of course pick you apart. But instead you need to do a back-and-forth at distance and then after they throw a combo or they get off balance for a second, you rush in with elbows up, get inside and immediately start with short hooks and uppercuts.

Just my two cents...

So few hours ago I finished a spar.session with these guys.again and I experimented a lot. Still not happy with the results.

Tried staying low and lots of body jabs. Some landed in some I got countered. I guess I need to practice them more.

Tried stiff jabbing. It did not work very well but I am not giving up on them.

Did one successful slip out to a jab and adding a cross. Pretty good stuff but hard to pull off.

Did one successful body jab fake to leap hook. That is also harder to pull off than expected. Got countered on it once though, ate a nasty cross.

Did a lot of body crosses and right hooks these work fine. But these guys do not buy it well as when after wards I tried 1-2 upstairs they did not cover the body. I guess I nees to do the cross to the body heavier.

Sparred with some experienced SP who joined our workout. Ate him alive as my SP friend who was missing today is much better. Pretty much dominated the outside and landed lots of jabs, hooks and crosses.

Sparred also a guy who is a security in a night club. Poor guy acting like a tough guy got schooled by everyone. He gave up after few rounds.

Anyway it was a useful work out. Had lots.of fun. But need to work on the.new style.

Hard to see exactly what needs to be done without a video.

boxing is push pull. If you can't beat them going forward make them come forward instead.

A move I like alot when walking someone down that are taller and have good reach is slipping their jab to the inside and coming over the top with the overhand. Just be gentle and don't smash their face in with in. Also coming forward with a double or triple jab forcing them back while leaning to the right (remember to keep your right hand up high to protect), then when you have them up against the ropes or fence throw the rear uppercut + left hook to the face. If they use a highguard and you can walk them into a corner, a left hook to the body is also good.

Last edited:
So I am going with friends to do boxing in a gym. It is like group privates and we spar a lot. There is only one guy at my size and the rest are giants. Two of the guys are like 190 and over 90 kg. While I am at 175 81 kg.

Obviously I have to pressure them and get in my distance. They are with less experience than me but our coaches teach them well in distance management and punch selection. It is damn hard to pass trough their jab and obviously they have the upper hand to control me.

So in order to fight them I really have to pressure a lot and up the tempo of the rounds against these guys.

However I am not really getting proper coaching how to pressure.

I know about ring cutting. I am trying to be aware.

I know I need to use way more slips but I am not really training them enough.

I was looking even at youtube on guides on how to pressure. But there was nothing really. Watched a lot of GGG but does not look like a role model for my situation.

Really looking into hints and tips of what I can work on and some explanations, tactics, strategies and set ups.
Afraid I don't have any advice to offer, but you seem to have a great learning attitude and are taking your challenges in your stride.

Good luck

You're being forced to bang?

Use angles and head moooo ment. Against newer guys that just bang, use your exp with timing and setups. They're obv going to be more stiff and murder with each shot, so you flow and play, then set up kill shots with those

If that doesn't work, have sex with their moms. If you get caught just say it was a prank

Hard to see exactly what needs to be done without a video.

boxing is push pull. If you can't beat them going forward make them come forward instead.

I try sometimes to pull them over and counter attack, but.that is too dangerous and I am not experience first to pull it off second I met one of the guys with a pretty serious hook as I had to explode and once I ate a strong jab that almost knocked me down lol. But definitely will work on that when advancing with my progress.

A move I like alot when walking someone down that are taller and have good reach is slipping their jab to the inside and coming over the top with the overhand. Just be gentle and don't smash their face in with in. Also coming forward with a double or triple jab forcing them back while leaning to the right (remember to keep your right hand op high to protect), then when you have them up against the ropes or fence throw the rear uppercut + left hook to the face. If they use a highguard and you can walk them into a corner, a left hook to the body is also good.

How do you pull this off with the overhand right? I have.tried but often been met with a stright right on the temple. I guess my technique is not good enough.

I do not understand the jab technique. How do you do double or tripple jabs that way. I will be glad if you show it in some of your next videos and tag me.to see it.

I had.some.success cornering them with body jabs. Two three body jabs push them to the.corner. I will try the.rest. appreciated

You're being forced to bang?

Use angles and head moooo ment. Against newer guys that just bang, use your exp with timing and setups. They're obv going to be more stiff and murder with each shot, so you flow and play, then set up kill shots with those

If that doesn't work, have sex with their moms. If you get caught just say it was a prank
Well I am not that much advanced than them to be honest. They have.been very regular sparring and drilling twice per week the last 4 months. While if I am able.to show up once per week it is a huge.success.

Anyway it is too general of an advice. It is easy to say head movement, angles, set ups. But rly hard to pull it off on my level haha.

Well I am not that much advanced than them to be honest. They have.been very regular sparring and drilling twice per week the last 4 months. While if I am able.to show up once per week it is a huge.success.

Anyway it is too general of an advice. It is easy to say head movement, angles, set ups. But rly hard to pull it off on my level haha.
That's true

If you're a shorter guy going head to head with a taller guy, and you both throw at the same time, he'll always land before you can reach. Usually head goes off the line as you strike for this so you can hit. Force them to fight in the pocket, esp if they're significantly taller.

Or just stop being a manlet

The key to the countering their jab with your overhand, and slipping the inside while you do it, is timing it. You have to do it the same time as they jab, that way they wont have time to throw the right hand. Also, if you move enough off center they'll have to aim with their right as your head wont be the same place as where they jabbed. Either way, it can be a bit risky so keep your guard op on your left side.

I'll record a vid of the moves soon. It's this one here, nr. 25, "right on left". Tough to catch because they go by so fast in this vid, but maybe slow it down:

Let them chase you a little bit for about 10-20 seconds...sell it well. Let them 'find' their range for you at middle distance. Now in their mind they have you pinpointed...but instead of coming straight in for regular 1-2's or body jabs...try this:

The next time they try the long jab slip left, side step and body hook, pivot and then push away. Then sell it again for 10-20 secs...then slip left body hook, side step right body hook, pivot and away. That usually worked for me when I had to spar 6'6 freaks lol

Alot of inexperienced taller fighters have no clue about fighting small fighters in close range...and by pretending to come at them from middle distance initially, it should trick them fairly well.

Edit: would not try this more than once against anyone with decent experience as you'll find yourself looking at the ceiling fairly quick lol

Double edit: just realized I got this back to front, if they are pressuring you and jabbing with their left hand then slip RIGHT and right hook to the body...apologies if you suffered a meaty right hook or uppercut to the face in the interim of this edit :p

Last edited:
If their giants, then try to keep your chin down and dip a little after every punch, like Mike Tyson did. Mike tyson took on everyone who was bigger and taller then him. Just by throwing strong jabs, and when his opponents would throw a right hand he dipped them would come up and throw either a hook or a right hand. Another way (I myself never did pressure anybody in sparring or anything) is to throw strong jabs get them to back up and get close and clinch (boxing style kind of) and just let go and hit them with a hook or a right hand, try to do that everytime.

The body jab is a great and underutilized technique but don't stay crouched; that just makes them think you're going to go low (which is when you spring up with a hook like Tyson).

If you want to slip a punch, you need to give yourself range of motion first. Some of the more famous 'flash' boxers of history, like Roy Jones Jr., would actually deliberately set up situations like this, leaning far one way to goad their counterpart into taking a swing at the obvious target, their head, giving themselves lots of space to sway the other way, making it look like their opponents are missing them by miles. This is the same principle behind Floyd Mayweathers pull counter as well; lengthening his stance with his head and weight loaded above his front foot while his trail leg is back as a counterweight, having a large range of stable motion to sway back and return with his cross when they throw, like pulling and releasing a rubber band.

If you're already crouched down, then you don't have any 'runway' left if they swing at you, leaving you literally a sitting duck. Rigondeaux found this out in his fight with Lomachenko. Anderson Silva also found this out, where, having already been leaning all the way back, he had nowhere else to go when Weidman clipped him with a hook. You want to be more up, so when they do try to jab at you, you have easy ROM dip down and slip it, for your jab to the body or up jab to the head at the same time, or slip and rip with a cross. Andre Ward was a master of this when facing guys with more reach than him, like Froch or Kovalev. Joe Louis was also famously deadly with this wrinkle.

Last edited:
The body jab is a great and underutilized technique but don't stay crouched; that just makes them think you're going to go low (which is when you spring up with a hook like Tyson).

If you want to slip a punch, you need to give yourself range of motion first. Some of the more famous 'flash' boxers of history, like Roy Jones Jr., would actually deliberately set up situations like this, leaning far one way to goad their counterpart into taking a swing at the obvious target, their head, giving themselves lots of space to sway the other way, making it look like their opponents are missing them by miles. This is the same principle behind Floyd Mayweathers pull counter as well; lengthening his stance with his head and weight loaded above his front foot while his trail leg is back as a counterweight, having a large range of stable motion to sway back and return with his cross when they throw, like pulling and releasing a rubber band.

If you're already crouched down, then you don't have any 'runway' left if they swing at you, leaving you literally a sitting duck (Rigondeaux found this out in his fight with Lomachenko). You want to be more up, so when they do try to jab at you, you have easy ROM dip down and slip it, for your jab to the body or up jab to the head, or slip and rip with a cross. Andre Ward was a master of this when facing guys with more reach than him, like Froch or Kovalev. Joe Louis was also famously deadly with this wrinkle.

I woke up at 3am and am looking at threads like these to see what can help me improve. The video doesn't seem like a pressure fighter video, but it shows a principle of some techniques that might help.

Lots of success today against the taller guys. I used more sided stance with dipping towards my right and throwing the over hand a lot with slips outside of their jab. I landed some left hooks after dipping under their attacks. And in general they had to show lots of respect if they were trying to attack me. Lots of body jabs landed. One of them tried to counter me with left body hooks but that make him eat tons of jabs :D

We had a great fight with my SP friend today. He landed some nice uppercuts and hooks on the body against me (6-7), while I found him with few straight rights to the head and body and a nice left hook. Once landed a full 1-1-2 on his face while he was trying to back off after an attack and it felt great.

Lots of success today against the taller guys. I used more sided stance with dipping towards my right and throwing the over hand a lot with slips outside of their jab. I landed some left hooks after dipping under their attacks. And in general they had to show lots of respect if they were trying to attack me. Lots of body jabs landed. One of them tried to counter me with left body hooks but that make him eat tons of jabs :D

We had a great fight with my SP friend today. He landed some nice uppercuts and hooks on the body against me (6-7), while I found him with few straight rights to the head and body and a nice left hook. Once landed a full 1-1-2 on his face while he was trying to back off after an attack and it felt great.

glad you got something figured out mate, I'm only 5'9 so I had to get used to fighting/sparring guys taller than me almost all of the time. Taller folks aren't a fan of repeated slipping and stiff jabs to the solar plexus!

Would be cool to see some videos if you can out of interest

glad you got something figured out mate, I'm only 5'9 so I had to get used to fighting/sparring guys taller than me almost all of the time. Taller folks aren't a fan of repeated slipping and stiff jabs to the solar plexus!

Would be cool to see some videos if you can out of interest

Meh we are pretty lame. And the coach will not let us record. And perhaps the spar session will become pretty rough once the camera is playing. They even joke with me for posting gym selfies and bag work videos on my social media calling me poser and etc. So imagine what would be the reaction towards spar recording.

I have not figured it out for sure. Still lots to work on. I ve been just trying new stuff. Lots of problems with the slips. I hate inside slips, we practiced them today actually (slip in after a jab and return a jab, and slip in after a cross and a body uppercut) in partner drills and I do not slip very well even in partner drills.

Back