Michael Venom Page, an observation...

clift

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is not meant as criticism or praise... just an observation. Has anyone noticed that despite all the theatrics inside the cage that Michael Venom Page relies very heavily on the one two (jab, straight) combination? He's masterful at setting it up, and he's also great at switching stances to throw the straight without a set up... I just can't help but notice that he is probably the best I've ever seen in MMA at successfully throwing the one two combination. Again, it's not a complain and it's not me saying he's amazing, I just want some feedback on if I'm right here. I've done more than a decade of kickboxing and it's just an incredibly obvious observation that doesn't seem to get much attention online. I've looked up "Michael page one two, and Michael Page 1 2" without so much as a single website that makes this observation and I'm starting to wonder if I'm seeing things <45>
Help me out guys... aside from all the intricate footwork he uses to set it up... I can't be the only one who sees his tendency to throw the one two and leave himself open to counters from a heavy hitter on the counter. It wouldn't be easy to land because he's constantly using his lateral movement as well as using his distance control to the max, but it's there. I just want someone to say they see it the way I do :)

This is not meant as criticism or praise... just an observation. Has anyone noticed that despite all the theatrics inside the cage that Michael Venom Page relies very heavily on the one two (jab, straight) combination? He's masterful at setting it up, and he's also great at switching stances to throw the straight without a set up... I just can't help but notice that he is probably the best I've ever seen in MMA at successfully throwing the one two combination. Again, it's not a complain and it's not me saying he's amazing, I just want some feedback on if I'm right here. I've done more than a decade of kickboxing and it's just an incredibly obvious observation that doesn't seem to get much attention online. I've looked up "Michael page one two, and Michael Page 1 2" without so much as a single website that makes this observation and I'm starting to wonder if I'm seeing things <45>
Help me out guys... aside from all the intricate footwork he uses to set it up... I can't be the only one who sees his tendency to throw the one two and leave himself open to counters from a heavy hitter on the counter. It wouldn't be easy to land because he's constantly using his lateral movement as well as using his distance control to the max, but it's there. I just want someone to say they see it the way I do :)

You basically wrote the same thing five or 6 times just to make it look like something solid.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.. wanna actually write something about Michael Page a a fighter?

Thanks for the constructive criticism.. wanna actually write something about Michael Page a a fighter?

I would, but not in a thread that does not deserve to be opened initially.
Delete it and write a comment in numerous Michael Page related threads over here.

Being positive about MVP sure does bring on the butt hurt. Suddenly it's haram to discus a fighters techniques.

I'm with you TS, here's some gifs of what you're talking about.

source.gif

6_Michael_Page_vs._Ryan_Sanders__23Bellator.gif

7_Michael_Page_vs._Haitham_Tantawy.gif

FaroffJealousCarpenterant-size_restricted.gif

1.gif

Well... yes. It's a high percentage simple technique. And when it lands proper it does damage. The way he sets it up and lands it makes the difference. Everybody knows the 1-2 but not everyone can execute it so well.

It's like chess - learning the moves only takes a few minutes and both sides have the same pieces. But it takes a lifetime to get really good at it.

SO DON'T HATE THE PLAYER - HATE THE GAME!
<{silvanormal}>

He's done well with it so far. It's his semi-retarded looking theatrics that actually need the work.

Being positive about MVP sure does bring on the butt hurt. Suddenly it's haram to discus a fighters techniques.

I'm with you TS, here's some gifs of what you're talking about.

source.gif

6_Michael_Page_vs._Ryan_Sanders__23Bellator.gif

7_Michael_Page_vs._Haitham_Tantawy.gif

FaroffJealousCarpenterant-size_restricted.gif

1.gif
Crazy to me he gets so much hate. He is so ridiculously fun to watch. I think because he clowns on people so much that people hate him and want to see him humbled and brutally KO'd like Andy.

You basically wrote the same thing five or 6 times just to make it look like something solid.
Rude to shit on someone's thread just because they decided to reinforce their topic, it's not even a wall of text. Deal with it. TS, most people read that without getting butthurt and thought about your actual idea.

Back on topic, I think a huge part of MVP's game is the theatrics and while his opponents are expecting something wild they get smashed with basic technique. He does a good job disguising and sneaking in the basics. Sometimes that is all that is required. It's easy to forget how many normal techniques he uses when his finishes and your own recollection are the strikes that were wild, but ultimately I think MVP has solid fundamentals.

His wrestling/grappling are always the elephant in the room with this guy. I can't wait to see him get tested.

He's done well with it so far. It's his semi-retarded looking theatrics that actually need the work.

His theatrics got Chris Pratt talking about him on the Tonight Show.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed how many of his knock downs and KO's came on the end of his 1,2. I'm sure his opponents are waiting for it but it never shows up until it's wayyyy too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back