SUMO - 2018 Nagoya Basho (July 8th - July 22nd)

Fairly sure he holds the record now for bashos missed by a Yokozuna. He hasn't been forced to retire yet because he's Japanese.

Dude should just throw in the towel himself, enough is enough.

He's the poster boy for japanese bias. I love sumo, but I hate the governing body.

Never knew about sumo. Really cool rule set.

Thanks for putting these up.

Noooooo Hakuho is out. Godammit.

giphy.gif

been gone for a few days and just caught up.

first and foremost, congrats to hattorizakura for the win. seemed like he didn't really know what to do, and the interview with him was hilarious.

for anyone who hasn't seen it, the audience reaction to hearing that hakuho was sitting out:

Goeido may have lucked out with this Nokozuna situation. I don't want to jinx it, but it seems like this will be Tochinoshin's tournament to win.

This really just highlights how many old guard there are in the yokozuna spots, with recurring injuries catching up with them.

Never knew about sumo. Really cool rule set.

Thanks for putting these up.
no problem, glad you're enjoying it!

feel free to ask any questions you have about the sport.

I'm not a sumo aficionado but every time I watch sumo it think "man I need to watch more sumo!"

Seems like nerves are getting to Tochinoshin, probably shouldn't have lost once he got that grip on the belt.

Does Goeido have the record for most kadoban survivals yet? Looking like he's going to make it through this one as well

Does Goeido have the record for most kadoban survivals yet? Looking like he's going to make it through this one as well
no idea about wrestlers in the distant past, but Kaio and Chiyotairyu probably had quite a bit more kadoban tournaments than Goeido. they had much stronger starts to their ozeki careers than Goeido though, and it looks like if Goeido can keep surviving and stick around for a long time he'll challenge their records for sure.

crazy that Tamawashi was able to beat Tochinoshin when he got the grip on the belt. i thought it was Tochinoshin's win for sure from there as well.

Fuck yeah, Abi!!! I love this kid! That was a solid win against Kakuryu, no luck there.

been gone for a few days and just caught up.

first and foremost, congrats to hattorizakura for the win. seemed like he didn't really know what to do, and the interview with him was hilarious.

for anyone who hasn't seen it, the audience reaction to hearing that hakuho was sitting out:

Yeah that's a bummer for the Nagoya fans.

No better time for Endo to make some noise.

This is his chance.

tochinoshin out too... this is a pretty bad state of affairs. not sure exactly what could be done about these injuries as hakuho's was a freak thing and tochinoshin and kakuryu's injuries happened on the dohyo.

regarding tochinoshin's injury from tachiai.org:
Tochinoshin’s medical certificate is for “Damage to the collateral ligament of the MTP joint of the great toe. Requires about 1 month of rest and may require further treatment”. (Source: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:n Sports – Herouth)

mitakeumi and endo have to be looking at this as a huge opportunity.

It's really disheartening to see Yoshikaze looking so weak and slow. He's always been such a furious wild man, clearly something is wrong.

Mitakeumi seems to have taken this as a chance to show off his Ozeki-worthiness, so that's kind of a plus.

It's really disheartening to see Yoshikaze looking so weak and slow. He's always been such a furious wild man, clearly something is wrong.

Mitakeumi seems to have taken this as a chance to show off his Ozeki-worthiness, so that's kind of a plus.
Age and injuries catching up to Yoshikaze. I kinda forget just how old he is since he was arguably in the peak of his career just 3 years ago.

yeah, not long ago yoshikaze was one of the most exciting and frenetic guys in sumo, and this tournament he's looking quite weak. definitely must be something wrong.

mitakeumi looking great, and showed great balance against chiyonokuni on day 8.

and endo did a great job at the edge to force the rematch.

bonus chiyotairyu:
23wtswh.gif

Back