If Lomachenko retired today, would he be a HOFer?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Let's look at his accomplishments:
  • Won a world title in just 3 fights
  • Three weight world champion in just 12 fights
  • Wins over Walters, Rigondeaux and Linares
Would have done enough to make the HOF?

good question

I'd say yes, he'd probably get in, but a lot of that would be on the strength of his ammy career.

In terms of if he'd deserve it, it could go either way, he's accomplished a lot already, and has some good wins on his resume, but the value of some of those wins loose their luster a bit under closer scrutiny.

Strictly on a pro level? No.
But if we're talking boxing career including amateurs. He probably get in eventually

Like the others said, not on the strength of his pro accomplishments so far. The IBHOF does take into account amateur accomplishments though. Laszlo Papp (the first 3x Olympic champion) got into the hall without ever even fighting for a title. After Rigo and Loma fought their gloves went to the hall, so did Loma's trunks and spit bucket. It would be meaningless to have their belongings there but not them.

Last edited:
He's a three division professional champion and probably the most decorated amateur ever. On top of that, he's managed to garner a pretty good fan base. People like him.

I'd say yeah. Maybe not first round but he'd get in.

Easily.
The IBHOF inducts 3 fighters a year into the "Modern" category, that's 30 per decade.
Barry McGuigan was inducted as a fighter and Lomachenko already has a more impressive pro career.

Hell no. Still got bullied by Salido. Needs to sort that out. Need some good defences. He's got a way to go before HoF.

Hell no. Still got bullied by Salido. Needs to sort that out. Need some good defences. He's got a way to go before HoF.
I think he already wiped that off via destroying roman martinez.
Beating Orlando today doesnt mean much today anyway, as he’s a walking brain tumor now and avoided the rematch at all costs.

Guys who get ranked P4P and fight on American networks generally have a chance. It's not universally true, but it is a pattern.

He's got a good shot, as many have said. Although not necessarily off the accomplishments made in the pros thus far.

It will all depend on who else was nominated.

I would say he'd have a good chance, if he retired today.

He'd be going out on a high note as one of the p4p best, when his hype was at it's peak. That would probably make a big difference to the way people would view his career retrospectively.

If you aren't a generational great or all time great, the way you finish your career matters quite a bit and could tip the balance.

If by pro accomplisshments. I’d say no. 11-1.
Include his amateur background. Absolutely
A 3 division weight champion doesn’t carry as
Much weight today as it used to. IMO.

"Hall" of Famer??

This guy's making it all the way to the Master's Bedroom

No, but he is on the cusp. Just needs to pad the stats a little and probably one more major win.

If by pro accomplisshments. I’d say no. 11-1.
Include his amateur background. Absolutely
A 3 division weight champion doesn’t carry as
Much weight today as it used to. IMO.

Do you feel someone like Arturo Gatti deserved to get in? If so, where would you rate his accomplishments in comparison to Lomachenkos?

Among active fighters, only Pacquiao and Canelo have better wins over top level guys. I'd say yes.

After thinking about it, even Canelo having better wins is debatable.
Beating Russell Jr., Martinez, Rigondeaux, Walters and Linares is damn impressive.

Back