Kid boxing video diary (new videos added)

BillytheFish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any other parents of kids in combat sports it would be awesome for you to post here also to trade ideas/tips to keep any training fun and relevant.

I have put a few videos of my kid on here before, and now it looks like I'm able to stick him in a fight in August. I never see much online about kids boxing training/routines, other than the ones who've boxed since they were 39 weeks old inside their mothers womb and became youtube stars (you know the type I mean lol).

In this thread for the next month I'll post his routine and videos to show his progress and state things Im working on with him.

Tonights video- I had him shadow boxing in the ring to cool down, and when another fighter was working the pads my kid stopped what he was doing and mimicked the padwork. Have nothing negative to say about his form/technique for this clip as for me it was more about the fact that he was showing interest and learning without any prompting from me or the coach there.

Last edited:
how old is your son?

In our boxing club children dont start fighting until 14/15. I know it sounds late but it is to prevent head trauma as much as possible and let them grow as emotionally before doing that and build good defensive skills. I also think it helps children at this age to do other sports for some time to have this playful access to themselves.

Doesnt seem to be a problem in their development as a boxer at all.

how old is your son?

In our boxing club children dont start fighting until 14/15. I know it sounds late but it is to prevent head trauma as much as possible and let them grow as emotionally before doing that and build good defensive skills. I also think it helps children at this age to do other sports for some time to have this playful access to themselves.

Doesnt seem to be a problem in their development as a boxer at all.

I get what you are saying.I have him in soccer twice a week as well and he has his choice of any sport in the world and it was him who chose boxing. Im a big fan of having kids try as many sports as possible, but the bonus with boxing is the training/conditioning is applicable to so many other sports out there.

I am not really concerned about head trauma, I grew up playing rugby since I was 5 and boxed when I was about 10. Ive only heard of kids breaking bones etc growing up in sports like rugby, soccer, motocross etc. Other than bust noses and lips I have never came across any incidents of TBI (traumatic brain injuries).

I am not really concerned about head trauma,

Maybe I worded that wrong. The stance of the coaching staff is to prevent accumulation of head trauma from early age on so if the boxer has an extensive boxing career he will have minimized effect of CTE. Thats why they focus longer on defense than most other gyms with youths and their style of boxing is defense oriented with quick in / out. My post wasnt meant to tell you what to do as you obviously are experienced. You two have fun ;)

I have put a few videos of my kid on here before, and now it looks like I'm able to stick him in a fight in August. I never see much online about kids boxing training/routines, other than the ones who've boxed since they were 39 weeks old inside their mothers womb and became youtube stars (you know the type I mean lol).

In this thread for the next month I'll post his routine and videos to show his progress and state things Im working on with him.

Tonights video- I had him shadow boxing in the ring to cool down, and when another fighter was working the pads my kid stopped what he was doing and mimicked the padwork. Have nothing negative to say about his form/technique for this clip as for me it was more about the fact that he was showing interest and learning without any prompting from me or the coach there.

That's cool but I personally would not allow my kid to fight until he's at least 14. Work on technique, movement, footwork, bagwork, mitts, maybe light sparring - sure. Fundamentals go a long way and brain trauma at a young age should be avoided at all costs. Don't jump the gun.

Maybe I worded that wrong. The stance of the coaching staff is to prevent accumulation of head trauma from early age on so if the boxer has an extensive boxing career he will have minimized effect of CTE. Thats why they focus longer on defense than most other gyms with youths and their style of boxing is defense oriented with quick in / out. My post wasnt meant to tell you what to do as you obviously are experienced. You two have fun ;)

No I know mate I wasnt arguing I appreciate your post!

So it's summer and his routine is this:

@0600hrs:
15 mins of slow steady shadow boxing in the mirror watching his hands and elbows and hips
x6 2-minute rounds of footwork around the bottles
x6 2minute rounds of footwork around bottles with jabs, 1-2 thrown in center
edit: he wakes HIMSELF up and trains HIMSELF for this lol. he loves it.

@1201hrs: 30min light jog or 15 minutes of sprints (alternating days)
very light padwork with me for technical stuff, as most of you know the majority of gyms barely spend any time teaching individual technical stuff

@1800-1930hrs:
Boxing club, whatever they have him do

Gotta add in...tried taking him to a new gym 25mins away and it was FUCKING AWFUL. The 'coach' kept telling me he used to train the US national team, which I verified is true. But Im guessing that was more than 10 years ago because he sat on his fat fucking ass the whole time even with kids sparring. 90 mins and didnt speak a work to a single person or so much as 'work harder'. Horrendous. (not the gym in the video, those guys are great).

PS his favourite fighter to watch is lomachenko

Last edited:
No I know mate I wasnt arguing I appreciate your post!

I also have a son and imo its very easy to go from "I want my son to fight" to "my son wants to fight". Guess thats why I answered in your thread. Been there with track & field with my son until I realized it ;) In the end the kid does what he thinks his dad will like.

My personal take on it is that competition in wrestling is perfect for kids as they basically just roll around . To punch someone in the face is a completely different thing and there my take is the kid needs to have matured more intelectual and emotional to comprehend this + its always a bonus to get punches to the head as late as possible in life.

Btw. Your son looks like a real movement talent in general. He seems to just get how everything works. Wouldnt surprise me if he is also a very good football player.

Keep us informed how he continues to develop.

I also have a son and imo its very easy to go from "I want my son to fight" to "my son wants to fight". Guess thats why I answered in your thread. Been there with track & field with my son until I realized it ;) In the end the kid does what he thinks his dad will like.

My personal take on it is that competition in wrestling is perfect for kids as they basically just roll around . To punch someone in the face is a completely different thing and there my take is the kid needs to have matured more intelectual and emotional to comprehend this + its always a bonus to get punches to the head as late as possible in life.

Btw. Your son looks like a real movement talent in general. He seems to just get how everything works. Wouldnt surprise me if he is also a very good football player.

Keep us informed how he continues to develop.

Cheers mate, yeah Im careful with that concept of 'convincing' myself it is what he wants. But it really is his passion (along with videogames of course lol).

For some reason he has decent footwork for boxing but SUCKS at soccer lol...he's on a 'C' team, despite being able to outrun everyone on the field.

I think he's happy he has found a sport he feels good at and gives him confidence. He has never been in trouble at school, never had a scuffle with anyone...he had never been winded before until a few weeks ago I think he thought he was going to die lol. I would even go as far to describe his character outside of boxing training as 'timid'. When he trains he goes and goes and works like a trojan...totally diff kid.

Tbh i dont care if he fights next month at all, but I see him progressing really well in this sport and if he fights once this year I think it'll be a good experience and reward for his hard work.

Last edited:
Nice, little man's gonna knock that kid out if he prepares well for his opponent. I'll watch all of the video's with your kids preparation, I want to see him win that fight, because I like to see a kid aspiring to be a champion.

Today I had more time to spend with him due to not having college on Fridays, plus his local gym is busy with a huge tournament in Dallas (which I didn't want him in- too early) so I made the most of the day with him.

Began with some super slow shadow boxing, followed by padwork/work with pool noodles to have him focus on elbows/guard/foot placement/stance. Then about 5 mins of intense in/out jabs and 1-2s before ramping things up for the real work today- sprints.

Next was all legwork: stair sprints, cone sprints, toe touches. Then slow warm down shadowboxing. Then shower and videogames and bbq shrimp- boom! Really proud of his work ethic and progress. Consider this thread a 'diary' for training.

Will post some videos from today shortly.

Any other parents of kids in combat sports it would be awesome for you to post here also to trade ideas/tips to keep any training fun and relevant.

Nice your kid in the last video, he seems like he's getting the technique down, I don't know how he's doing sparring wise, but if he's using that slip counter that he did with the other guy doing padwork for him then he'll definitely knock his opponent out.

So it's summer and his routine is this:

@0600hrs:
15 mins of slow steady shadow boxing in the mirror watching his hands and elbows and hips
x6 2-minute rounds of footwork around the bottles
x6 2minute rounds of footwork around bottles with jabs, 1-2 thrown in center
edit: he wakes HIMSELF up and trains HIMSELF for this lol. he loves it.

@1201hrs: 30min light jog or 15 minutes of sprints (alternating days)
very light padwork with me for technical stuff, as most of you know the majority of gyms barely spend any time teaching individual technical stuff

@1800-1930hrs:
Boxing club, whatever they have him do

Gotta add in...tried taking him to a new gym 25mins away and it was FUCKING AWFUL. The 'coach' kept telling me he used to train the US national team, which I verified is true. But Im guessing that was more than 10 years ago because he sat on his fat fucking ass the whole time even with kids sparring. 90 mins and didnt speak a work to a single person or so much as 'work harder'. Horrendous. (not the gym in the video, those guys are great).

PS his favourite fighter to watch is lomachenko

Just saw this post too, Loma is one of my favorite boxers too. And it's nice to see him training like a pro.

Changing up his routine starting monday. He has a complete rest day tomorrow.

During mornings he will train himself completely, and I'm gonna work with him on Thurs/Fri/Sat. Im only going to train him midweek if for some reason I cant drive to his local gym.

I want to let him have the breathing space to figure things out on his own, including motivating himself. It isnt an issue at all, but at the end of the day he's getting in a ring by himself at some stage so needs to realize sometimes it will be just him and another kid for a few minutes of exhausting movement without anyone saying 'work harder' or 'keep going'. I want him to learn that mental fortitude on his own more to be a bit more independent.

Good stuff in this thread .

how did your son come to find boxing interesting?

my son is only 7 months but i would like to make it part of his life as well when he gets older

Good stuff in this thread .

how did your son come to find boxing interesting?

my son is only 7 months but i would like to make it part of his life as well when he gets older

I guess like most kids through his dad (me watching it on tv, or showing him some of my training/workouts (I havent competed since I was 16). I've tried him in various other things but this is really clicking for him. In the last 6 months his natural development has meant his progression has skyrocketed and his body is getting the movements down pretty damn quickly.

My advice would be to be patient mate, each kid is different. I tried some stuff with boxing with him when he was 6 and had no interest so i quickly stopped any idea of it for a few years. If he gets bored of boxing then I'll ramp up things in another sport- I dont care if it is ping pong but he WILL be doing a sport aswell as working his butt off in school.

Im a former UK Commando and paramedic so I'm confident in knowing when to push the envelope and when its time to stop. Also, part of the reason I take him to actual gyms is to make sure he's connecting with other people within the sport and not become isolated.

I guess like most kids through his dad (me watching it on tv, or showing him some of my training/workouts (I havent competed since I was 16). I've tried him in various other things but this is really clicking for him. In the last 6 months his natural development has meant his progression has skyrocketed and his body is getting the movements down pretty damn quickly.

My advice would be to be patient mate, each kid is different. I tried some stuff with boxing with him when he was 6 and had no interest so i quickly stopped any idea of it for a few years. If he gets bored of boxing then I'll ramp up things in another sport- I dont care if it is ping pong but he WILL be doing a sport aswell as working his butt off in school.

Im a former UK Commando and paramedic so I'm confident in knowing when to push the envelope and when its time to stop. Also, part of the reason I take him to actual gyms is to make sure he's connecting with other people within the sport and not become isolated.

Your doing a great job with your kid, my dad I wish he was a pro boxer, or a military veteran that knew some boxing, and put me in boxing at a young age, if I ever have a kid (which I'm not really focused on anything like that not even focused on getting a girl right now) I'll put him in karate at the age of 2, put him in bjj at the age of 5 or 6 (i forgot the age you can start bjj at) then put him in boxing at the age 8, and eventually have him in muay thai, because that's my favorite style really. Your a good father to your kid and I wish him best of luck in his boxing match next month.

Back