Onx X-factor glove review

AaronMcKenzieMma

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Onx Sports 16oz Glove review

This review is for the Onx Sports 16oz gloves. I have been using them for about 6 months now and feel comfortable giving a detailed review that's not just first impressions. I use them for sparring, mitt work, teaching, and a heavy bag work.

The reason I became interested in these gloves is I broke my 2nd metacarpal in my right hand in a fight last March and hurt it again leading up to my fight in December and during the fight in December. I heard about them from Justin big pygmy Wren and decided I would start looking in to them. I couldn't find any reviews on them online because they're still very new and there's not a lot of info out yet. I'm a big review reader and the information I get leading up to a purchase is vital to my decision making process. I figure there are others out there like me so that's why I'm making this review now.

I reached out to coach Trevor Wittman to possibly order a pair and he gave me more info on the gloves and told me how he has had hand injuries in the past and has watched countless fighters hurt their hands in other gloves. This was part of why he wanted to design a better and safer glove for fighters so I told him let's do it.

A few days later I had a brand new box on my door step with a cool onx logo on it.
Inside the box was the gloves, a pair of gsox, a few decals, an instruction and serial number card and a key chain. The gloves looked great and had an awesome leather smell out of the box. Coach T and the instruction card told me how important and beneficial heat molding the gloves was, so I did that the first night I got them.

The process was simple enough, apply heat with a blue dryer for a few minutes then wear the gloves as tight as possible for a little while and I can say without a doubt it made for an amazing fit. I can literally feel my knuckle imprints inside the gloves. He said this process helps loosen up the gloves and help them have a more broken in feel and he was right.

Review:
I'm going to go ahead and fast forward a few months now after having used the gloves. Coach T recommends using the gloves without hand wraps and that's what I've done since I've had them. This has been a crazy and wild time saver for me beats after breaking my hand I was trying to figure out any way I could to wrap my hands safer and keep them from hurting again including using old fight tape jobs retaped and those things with my old gloves still don't feel as good as the Onx gloves.

In my old gloves I would struggle to be able to make a fist sometimes and now I know that's not a good thing.

Fit:
I have average sized hands and they fit tight and comfortable on all sides. Especially to the edges of the hands which is different than my old gloves where there was room to slide around a little bit. The dual x straps seem to really lock my hand in and keep my wrist firm and hard to bend. There's a lot less flexion than any other gloves I've worn which should keep me from hurting my wrists by them accidentally bending during a punch.

- only possible con: my professor tried on the gloves and he has large hands and he thought they were a little tight. (But this will be remedied by the new 18oz I have been told they have a larger hand compartment.)

Comfort:
These gloves are the most comfortable I've ever worn. The heat molding and high quality foam really adds a level of comfort I've never had in a pair of gloves before. That along with the ease of hand squeeze and ability to close and open my fist makes them very comfortable.

-con: the wrist protection can kind of pinch sometimes if the gloves were over tightened. But that loosened up as the gloves broke in more and is no longer an issue.

Face punch shock review:
The foam has a decently firm feeling to it from the outside and a softer firm feeling on the inside. This is different from my old gloves which seemed to be overly pillow soft on the inside and outside.
I was a little worried about the firmer feeling foam possibly hurting my sparring partners but that was never an issue.
I asked my sparring partners over the course of the first few weeks of sparring if the gloves hurt any more than others and if they noticed them being any harder and everyone said they were good. No problem or extra hardness at all.

Probably my favorite part of the gloves is the way the absorb shocks. I've hit countless skulls and elbows on the point and I feel it hit the glove but I do not feel any pain in my hand. The gloves dissipate the shock like none I've ever felt. I would feel every elbow in my old gloves and they did not feel good. Whatever foams they're using are absolutely top notch I believe.

Materials:
The leather feels, looks, and smells great. You can see the care that coach Whittman puts into the stitching. The heat molded foam and other shock absorbing foams all feel top notch like a world class super car interior. You can definitely tell there was a lot of thought put in to the makeup of the gloves.

Final thoughts:
I absolutely love these gloves. I'm not being paid for this review or anything like that but I can without a doubt say I don't think I will ever wear another glove. I would recommend them to anybody even my own mother. If you're thinking about buying these gloves then do it. Even if you're not thinking about buying them. Do it anyway. You will not regret it and I promise you that.

Thank you very much for your time and I hope this helps anyone on the fence about buying these gloves!

***addendum***

Since I have written this review i finished a hard fight camp in these gloves only and had absolutely no recurring hand pain. And fought a 15 minute fight on Friday with no issues either. I absolutely believe that these gloves played a huge part in that!

• Aaron McKenzie

Great review. That's pretty crazy he told you not to wear handwraps, did he expand upon why they don't recommend doing that? Also, what gloves did you previously use as a comparison to these?

And lastly, where are the pictures?!

What are your thoughts about using these for Muay Thai? Are the wrists too stiff to try to clinch?

Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing these for a while and will, one day, take the plunge.

I saw the lace up version will come out soon. Wonder how the X factor will work on them....

Great review, normally when someone posts something like this as their first few posts on the forum I assume they are probably Coach T themselves trying to sell more gear. But I've looked into you and you've got hundreds of posts on another forum dating back to 2012 so I feel this is definitely a legitimate review.

I myself have looked into the ONX gloves but couldn't justify the expense at the time, I've got Topboxer and Fairtex gloves right now. When my Topboxer gloves wear out I'll either get Onx or Winnings.

Great review. That's pretty crazy he told you not to wear handwraps, did he expand upon why they don't recommend doing that? Also, what gloves did you previously use as a comparison to these?

And lastly, where are the pictures?!

I believe the reasoning to allow you to make a more natural fist. The added material in your hand keeps you from being able to close your fist properly making it easier to hurt the muscles and bones in your hand.

The gloves I was using previously were two pairs of top kings. My fittest pair was solid. My second pair made it very hard to close my right fist

What are your thoughts about using these for Muay Thai? Are the wrists too stiff to try to clinch?

For me they've been good. I should've been more clear about the wrists they prevent side to side motion. But i can still open and close my hands well. Never had any problems grabbing clinch or opening my hands for parrys.

Thanks for the review. I have been eyeing these for a while and will, one day, take the plunge.

I saw the lace up version will come out soon. Wonder how the X factor will work on them....

No problem man. They're definitely worth it!
I'm super interested in the lace up for sparring as well. I am definitely looking in to asking for them for my birthday.

Great review, normally when someone posts something like this as their first few posts on the forum I assume they are probably Coach T themselves trying to sell more gear. But I've looked into you and you've got hundreds of posts on another forum dating back to 2012 so I feel this is definitely a legitimate review.

I myself have looked into the ONX gloves but couldn't justify the expense at the time, I've got Topboxer and Fairtex gloves right now. When my Topboxer gloves wear out I'll either get Onx or Winnings.

For sure for sure I can understand the skepticism lol
I'm just trying to help people out because I'm a review who're where as I research everything I buy as much as possible beforehand so I can be well informed. And there just wasn't a lot of info out so I wanted to help other people like me.

And I appreciate you taking the time to read it and comment. You will definitely enjoy the gloves if you get them!

I'm trying to get photos to work but I'm having trouble on mobile.

For sure for sure I can understand the skepticism lol
I'm just trying to help people out because I'm a review who're where as I research everything I buy as much as possible beforehand so I can be well informed. And there just wasn't a lot of info out so I wanted to help other people like me.

And I appreciate you taking the time to read it and comment. You will definitely enjoy the gloves if you get them!

I'm trying to get photos to work but I'm having trouble on mobile.

I'm the same I research everything as much as humanly possible.

as for the photos, Go the reply section, upload a file and it should upload them. if they're too big you'll have to upload them to a third party site then copy the image location.

I'm the same I research everything as much as humanly possible.

as for the photos, Go the reply section, upload a file and it should upload them. if they're too big you'll have to upload them to a third party site then copy the image location.

That was the problem I was having is it was too big. I just got back home from a day trip to see the wife's sister graduate so I will get them uploaded tomorrow for sure.

Finally got something to work. Here's a picture of my gloves. Obviously pretty worn at this point. But i think that's what you want from a review!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180626-150449.jpg
    Screenshot_20180626-150449.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 63
Great investment for those who can afford it. Id totally get them as well. Thanks for the review.

Back