tristars reverse de la riva lock down

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Faras has been showing this reverse de la riva lock down guard hes raving about now i havent really seen any vid son it but i see him posting alot about it any of you have any opinions on it? wondering if it works for mma since hes actually spending time on it

He's got an instructional out, with part two on the way.

Typical Firas style.

Some good options from RDLR.
He had a nice leglock entry off of a failed tripod that I hadn't seen before.

The configuration that he shows (RDLR lockdown) is essentially RDLR with the top leg crossed under instead of posting on the hip.

I haven't watched his video in detail but it covers the following:
  1. Basic configuration (e.g. placement of hands/were to hold heel, etc).
  2. Spin under -> crab ride (goes into details of finish crab ride at the end)
  3. Tripod sweep
  4. Failed tripod sweep -> inversion to game over (significant part of the instructional was spent here)
  5. Finishing crab ride with reverse x

The teaching is typical Firas.
I love the way he teaches. He's not overly focused on details, but all the details he gives are important IMHO.

Some of the initial stuff with RDLR wasn't new to me, but the details were a little different.
The inversion to game over stuff was new, but I haven't been following the nogi/leg lock scene too closely.

I really like the lockdown configuration because I've been rolling with people who do a lot of footlocks and I've been getting raped.

I don't think you'd go to this position in MMA, but if you start from there you'd very quickly end up in positions that are applicable to MMA (single legs, leg entanglements, etc).

I do this pretty much daily, although I have never heard it called RDLR lockdown. Its good for wrestlers because you can get to the crab ride and you have singles to both sides ones you get their weight forward and spin under. Spinning into leg locks is more difficult than it seems when someone knows how to disengage.

its basically rvdl with feet crossed lol

Cross the feet with the top leg on the bottom is extremely game changing.
You can push much bigger people with both of your legs than you can do with just one.
It's sometimes hard to maintain the top leg on the hip.
I saw it done in a Paul Schreiner DVD.

I don't think you'd go to this position in MMA, but if you start from there you'd very quickly end up in positions that are applicable to MMA (single legs, leg entanglements, etc).

It's an old wrinkle but always a reliable option in my view.

Cross the feet with the top leg on the bottom is extremely game changing.
You can push much bigger people with both of your legs than you can do with just one.
It's sometimes hard to maintain the top leg on the hip.
I saw it done in a Paul Schreiner DVD.
Firas respects Danaher too

And it is the only open guard I can consistently do well on upper belts

I do this pretty much daily, although I have never heard it called RDLR lockdown. Its good for wrestlers because you can get to the crab ride and you have singles to both sides ones you get their weight forward and spin under. Spinning into leg locks is more difficult than it seems when someone knows how to disengage.

How do you hit the single on the far leg?

Are you coming up through the legs?

How do you hit the single on the far leg?

Are you coming up through the legs?
My first option is to take them over the top. Second option is to come up to a single on the same side. Third option, which you are asking for, is I will spin under, grab the far side leg and switch off hooks, then basically do a tech stand up right into a single leg. I just started training at a new gym and hit this and they said they call that "quick x". Kind of makes sense because it is basically a modified x guard at that point. That finish requires some good balance and quick reflexes. Honestly, I hit option one at least 4-5 times a day if I am looking to bring my A game.

Back