What makes Anderson Silva appear more aware and in control

That's fair, it was the first fight that came to mind when thinking about a Kickboxer converting to MMA, but in hindsight it was a pretty poor example. I think Joe Schilling or Cyril Abidi's MMA run would have been better for illustrating my point, but ya can't win 'em all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alistair, Spong, Schilling, Cyril, Schilt, Saki, Sefo and a few other ones to choose from. Most of them looked a lot worse striking in MMA, but then there's primes and such as well. Schilling and Saki for instance were both pretty much past their prime when they transitioned. Obviously then there's Hunt, Cro Cop and Mousasi who have been fighting MMA for so long that they would probably classify as MMA fighters before Kickboxers. You could add Alistair there as well.

That's fair, it was the first fight that came to mind when thinking about a Kickboxer converting to MMA, but in hindsight it was a pretty poor example. I think Joe Schilling or Cyril Abidi's MMA run would have been better for illustrating my point, but ya can't win 'em all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's true, and their are clearly variables that come into play with the difference in MMA and Kickboxing striking, but so too often do I see "Kickboxer loses therefore it doesn't translate" without actually analysing the intangibles. There's always a big deal made when a Kickboxer loses by strikes in MMA, and it gets used as a blanket sweep while ignoring the success they have also had. Also ignoring things like Saki has been knocked out 6 times in Kickboxing as well.

Well modern Kickboxing is different from Muay Thai but very simular being Kickboxing pretty much modeled itself from Muay Thai over time.

But assuming I believe based on 0 evidence that I'm confusing MMA stand up with Kickboxing and or Muay Thai stand up is peculiar. I understand the differences in which I wouldn't seek an answer from a Kickboxer or Muay Thai fighter of something that's not in the aspect of said striking styles.

As I stated before, I'm interested in more so Anderson Silva's striking techniques and defense to it.

Although Saki lost his fight that doesn't go for every Pro Striker that stepped in the octagon. Pro Strikers like Alistair Overeem Mirko Cro Cop, Mark Hunt an Pat Barry didn't really change much from their Kickboxing other than adding more to other aspects in their arsenal.

Just because Gokhan Saki lost doesn't mean his Kickboxing doesn't translate to MMA or the striking is different for every fighter. He got caught with a straight down the middle throwing a rear roundhouse leg kick. That's in the aspect of Kickboxing. MMA stand up in general is different but striking in the octagon depends on you and what your looking for. If I were talking about a fighter like Kevin Randleman who's striking is just there to set up his clinch and or takedowns then maybe I could see what you mean but even then, if I was talking about his striking specifically it shouldn't be a problem unless I'm asking on how I would defend or attempt something out of Kickboxing or Muay Thai

Example: Single or Double Leg takedown

If I have a question based on anything else, I wont be in this form asking about judo/ greco roman tosses, takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions. That's going on a Stand up or MMA forum, but if I have a question or want to show something and maybe learn about striking then Im going to a group of people who will more than likely exceed in the experience and knowledge of the aspect. I believe and am highly confident im in the right place.

Anderson Silva appears more aware because he is more aware. He knows more things, therefore he can calculate 1000% better than his opponents, and be several steps ahead

Anderson has no real ego. He has realized that it gets in the way and discarded it. Everyone else (including most fighters) like the comforting feel of the ego to a large degree, they can't fully let go. They underestimate the severity of the toll it takes. It's not about YOU, it's about the art itself and how well you can integrate/accommodate it without getting in the way of its use with your ego. Most people's judgements are not sound or accurate because they demand to judge things and write them off in relation to a reference point they were given: the pride of their own identities, relatives, locales, upbringings. Therefore they cannot see things (subtle but important things) from an unhindered, unobstructed view

How do you get around this? We all have upbringings with biases. These biases will activate automatically without our approval.

Here's the key: observe not just broad but unique results. Now refuse to let anything get in the way of further investigation. Repeat and observe. No write-offs. Just observation and notes. Refine. Repeat. Use the ACTUAL scientific method you are all so proud of having stored up your buttholes to allow you to admit any self imperfections in the first place

Anderson Silva appears more aware because he is more aware. He knows more things, therefore he can calculate 1000% better than his opponents, and be several steps ahead

Anderson has no real ego. He has realized that it gets in the way and discarded it. Everyone else (including most fighters) like the comforting feel of the ego to a large degree, they can't fully let go. They underestimate the severity of the toll it takes. It's not about YOU, it's about the art itself and how well you can integrate/accommodate it without getting in the way of its use with your ego. Most people's judgements are not sound or accurate because they demand to judge things and write them off in relation to a reference point they were given: the pride of their own identities, relatives, locales, upbringings. Therefore they cannot see things (subtle but important things) from an unhindered, unobstructed view

How do you get around this? We all have upbringings with biases. These biases will activate automatically without our approval.

Here's the key: observe not just broad but unique results. Now refuse to let anything get in the way of further investigation. Repeat and observe. No write-offs. Just observation and notes. Refine. Repeat. Use the ACTUAL scientific method you are all so proud of having stored up your buttholes to allow you to admit any self imperfections in the first place

Thank you for your opinion

I think this is a great, true and important point you have made. I myself have went through this a bit, because of my upbringing I was heavily favored towards not just punching but Boxing being raised in Brentwood it's the only aspect of fighting that was excepted by my peers, otherwise anything else was seen as "Bitch ass pussy shit" there fore you would lose respect from said peers.

I abandoned that ideology being
#1 I'm the one that's fighting,
#2 It's easy to talk trash when they're not fight especially when your busy fighting someone else and
#3 Anything that ends a fight stopping an opponent via force will gain respect or earn it by said method.

Eventually I found a way to turn that negative into a positive. I find myself limiting my arsenal purposely mostly because If I try to find multiple answers in one aspect. This allows me to be more aware of my tools, if I have a deeper understanding of it also putting them all aspects together would allow for me to have alot more to work with.

So purposefully limiting myself to only using Boxing or rather punching in general against someone using they're whole striking and or grappling arsenal.

When you have a true but good look at yourself or rather in this case myself, it's really hard to even think of having an egotistical view knowing my faults, blunders and imperfections.

Use the truth to your advantage.

Joke: "I will be unbiased"

Woke: "I will pick my biases"

I will see to it that I keep MMA strictly in MMA and not seek an opinion from someone who may have a great deal of knowledge in striking when my question is specifically striking based.
There is a specific standup forum for stuff exactly like this and "are you talking about KB, MT, MMA, Boxing?" Is usually asked on a thread (if not implied) because its just an over all standup (or striking) forum. No need for the passive agression. You posted in MT and KB but made points on TD defense so its obvious people would question it.
I wont be in this form asking about judo/ greco roman tosses, takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions. That's going on a Stand up or MMA forum,
Dont know if its a language thing but once again.no. dont put things related to grappling in a stand up forum (unless clinch related) mma should be fine because grappling is an aspect of it but those are literally all grappling related things you mentioned so maybe post them in idk..the grappling forum.

Joke: "I will be unbiased"

Woke: "I will pick my biases"

I know you (rmongler) already gets the point but if anyone is confused by this, to clarify- it means to start unbiased (get rid of pre-existing biases) and to selectively pick up certain biases based on a never-ending cycle of repetitive testing, observation, and thoughtful consideration. Basically this entails shutting TFU and doing/testing in place of assuming and boasting about assumptions. That's the Anderson way to train.

Last edited:
There is a specific standup forum for stuff exactly like this and "are you talking about KB, MT, MMA, Boxing?" Is usually asked on a thread (if not implied) because its just an over all standup (or striking) forum. No need for the passive agression. You posted in MT and KB but made points on TD defense so its obvious people would question it.

Dont know if its a language thing but once again.no. dont put things related to grappling in a stand up forum (unless clinch related) mma should be fine because grappling is an aspect of it but those are literally all grappling related things you mentioned so maybe post them in idk..the grappling forum.

Thank You

As the takedown defense and mount, yes you are 110% in the right holding me accountable for that. I didn't really post that as a question looking to get answers for. I was simply stating what happened in the fight and the amount of control it allowed him to have, however I didn't think from that it would really bring issues. Regardless I will take that piece of advice next time and not do that.

As for the second piece of advice, I may post stand up grappling here if it's Muay Thai clinch based. I am aware that the aspect of general clinching is stand up and everything I stated is MMA related. No jab nor insult intended but as a curious question. How did you read and perceive that? Because when I explained that part I was pretty sure I explained my thoughts well about what post go where.

"I wont be in this form asking about judo/ greco roman tosses, takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions. That's going on a Stand up or MMA forum"

Judo/ greco roman tosses = Stand Up

Takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions = MMA

Also you stated I'm being passive aggressive, I don't believe I was but if you could bring me a statement I texted I'l be more than willing to explain myself.

I find it rather disrespectful that everyone here likes to dismiss Silva's entire career just by the laced supplements and the Weidman controversy that was all in post 2012. Prior to that he is the greatest the UFC ever had. He even gave Michael Bisping a hard time during Bisping's prime. You guys got to give Silva some credit, it's highly unlikely he is coked up on steroids like we would think WWE people do. Even pre-Weidman fights, he was always clean during his earlier years and rocked the roid fighters like Chael Sonnen. Honestly steroids make a person aggressive and irrational, tired and short breathed. It changes people emotionally over time, and Silva has still been the same. Whatever pain relievers he took to help out his broken leg just accidentally happened to have some illegal substance, which he does not know of, blame it on his nutritionist/dieter not himself. Like he would actually want to roid himself up, I highly doubt it. There's definitely some shady politics going on against this guy, and I think we should sympathize instead of just shit on his entire career over some controversy we don't truly know about.

Rants aside, I'm curious about Silva's background. Where did he look his boxing skills from? Chute boxing is more muay thai and jj, but where did he learn his boxing skills from? That, I am curious. His boxing skills are really good.

I find it rather disrespectful that everyone here likes to dismiss Silva's entire career just by the laced supplements and the Weidman controversy that was all in post 2012. Prior to that he is the greatest the UFC ever had. He even gave Michael Bisping a hard time during Bisping's prime. You guys got to give Silva some credit, it's highly unlikely he is coked up on steroids like we would think WWE people do. Even pre-Weidman fights, he was always clean during his earlier years and rocked the roid fighters like Chael Sonnen. Honestly steroids make a person aggressive and irrational, tired and short breathed. It changes people emotionally over time, and Silva has still been the same. Whatever pain relievers he took to help out his broken leg just accidentally happened to have some illegal substance, which he does not know of, blame it on his nutritionist/dieter not himself. Like he would actually want to roid himself up, I highly doubt it. There's definitely some shady politics going on against this guy, and I think we should sympathize instead of just shit on his entire career over some controversy we don't truly know about.

Rants aside, I'm curious about Silva's background. Where did he look his boxing skills from? Chute boxing is more muay thai and jj, but where did he learn his boxing skills from? That, I am curious. His boxing skills are really good.

PEDs are not just steroids though, he could have been on any kind of other drugs during his career. Personally he was my favourite fighter in the UFC, but I can't be a fan of someone who cheats.

He was one of the most skilled strikers in the UFC and I respect his talent talent for that, but I don't respect him as an athlete anymore.

Have never ever thought Anderson was all that since 05'.

Turns out he also pissed hot twice.

Lol

Goat lol

Says more about you than it does Anderson.

Stuff regarding PEDS or roids whatever only started happening post-Weidman fight. Prior to that, I wholeheartedly believe he was clean. Wasn't until that broken shin incident.

Stuff regarding PEDS or roids whatever only started happening post-Weidman fight. Prior to that, I wholeheartedly believe he was clean. Wasn't until that broken shin incident.

It only started happening because he got caught. Had he not been caught no one would have expected him to be on something even in the fights after the Weidman fights.

Got lost right away at Anderson not having an ego

This is the guy that bombs elbows and knees at a sparring partner when he gets tagged and gets pissed off. Also the same dude that mocks people in the cage and puts his hands down taunting them

This is the guy that bombs elbows and knees at a sparring partner when he gets tagged and gets pissed off. Also the same dude that mocks people in the cage and puts his hands down taunting them

The mocking and taunting is a functional tactic that works, you don't need an ego to do that.

I've never seen him get enraged at a sparring partner, if he did then that's a flaw. If you can link a video, wouldn't mind watching that.

I didn't want to make it sound like he was an unflawed ascendant to heaven, just that he didn't have any biases when it came to learning and distilling abstract concepts from all sorts of different arts. Most people stubbornly want to think that whichever art(s) they commit to holds the secrets to the entire universe and refuse to learn concepts from outside their sphere. Most people think that if they are taking kickboxing, that other related striking arts have nothing additional to offer.

I stopped myself in my first post from writing that he had "no ego" and changed it to "no real ego" before I posted it. I knew this retaliative reply was coming sooner or later

With all due respect, if the syndicate organization doesn't want certain people to be in their organization anymore, they will pull tricks and trump cards to have all odds and politics against them. Even Jon Jones said "they are trying to set me up"

“No athlete would test clean his entire fight camp, and then randomly take some cheap (expletive) oral steroid betweens weigh ins and fight night knowing he would be tested once he got done fighting,” Lester wrote. “This is a straight set up. They are trying to ruin this kids life. It makes no sense and Jon wouldn’t do it.”

The UFC was recently sold off to another organization a couple years ago wasn't it? Maybe this organization doesnt like champs like Silva and Jones. Anybody can take someone's sample when no one's looking, add in some random shit to the sample, and pass it off like these guys been doping for years testing positive....

This is common in many trivial controversial sports.

With all due respect, if the syndicate organization doesn't want certain people to be in their organization anymore, they will pull tricks and trump cards to have all odds and politics against them. Even Jon Jones said "they are trying to set me up"

“No athlete would test clean his entire fight camp, and then randomly take some cheap (expletive) oral steroid betweens weigh ins and fight night knowing he would be tested once he got done fighting,” Lester wrote. “This is a straight set up. They are trying to ruin this kids life. It makes no sense and Jon wouldn’t do it.”

The UFC was recently sold off to another organization a couple years ago wasn't it? Maybe this organization doesnt like champs like Silva and Jones. Anybody can take someone's sample when no one's looking, add in some random shit to the sample, and pass it off like these guys been doping for years testing positive....

This is common in many trivial controversial sports.

Conspiracy theories... Why would they want them to get popped when they're their cash cows. Think about it.

What's next? Daniel Cormier stole Jones' sample and tainted it so he could become LHW champ?

The mocking and taunting is a functional tactic that works, you don't need an ego to do that.

I've never seen him get enraged at a sparring partner, if he did then that's a flaw. If you can link a video, wouldn't mind watching that.

I didn't want to make it sound like he was an unflawed ascendant to heaven, just that he didn't have any biases when it came to learning and distilling abstract concepts from all sorts of different arts. Most people stubbornly want to think that whichever art(s) they commit to holds the secrets to the entire universe and refuse to learn concepts from outside their sphere. Most people think that if they are taking kickboxing, that other related striking arts have nothing additional to offer.

I stopped myself in my first post from writing that he had "no ego" and changed it to "no real ego" before I posted it. I knew this retaliative reply was coming sooner or later

Thank you for linking that. I do appreciate it.

He did get angry and snap in there, it was very clear.

To be fair, the (heavier) sparring partner had it turned it to 11 like he was trying to knock him out, which you're not supposed to do in sparring (unless agreed upon beforehand that it's going to be full 100% hard sparring to basically be an actual fight). The international default rule of any sparring gym is "whenever a sparring partner elevates the intensity, that's the new level of sparring set for both of them." It was called for in that case. In most sparring he goes really light, like he was doing in the beginning of the vid. Freddie Roach even complained he goes too soft in sparring-- never saw him go above even 50%.

Anderson didn't go in there instigating and he was even slow to reciprocate, he gave the guy a few more chances in case it was an accident and what-do-you-know, it wasn't an accident at all because he kept at it. The gym partners watching the spar did the "wOOOAA!" signal to let the guy know he was out of line/out of control before he failed to relent and Silva started going tit for tat. I don't feel sorry for the sparring partner, he went there and this actually happens a fair amount at the gym, even sometimes between gym buddies. It may not happen every day but it's not a unicorn either.

Does Anderson Silva have an ego? Probably a little bit.
Relative to almost 100% of successful pro fighters? No, he doesn't have one at all

Thank you for finding and posting that. That was interesting and fun to watch. I appreciate your contribution

Last edited:
Back