Hand Strength.

Blackguilt

White Belt
Reaction score
I am attempting to make my own hand grippers that are akin to the CoC's I have a CoC trainer that is rated by them at "100lbs" however, when I had it gauged at the lab here at work, it was only 70lbs. Does anybody know at what point on the handle of the grippers that IronMind uses to gauge the resistance level?

Do you have pics on how you gauged it? I'm just interested in seeing what equipment you used.

I did not gauge it myself, I had the gauge lab here do it, they used a valve spring calibration and testing tool applied to the ends of the gripper to close it. I could possibly have them do it again and take pictures of the process. This is a personal project of mine, that I am doing for fun. Currently I'm attempting to source the appropriate torsion springs to get the kind of resistance needed. After I manage to find the springs (I plan to have a smaller jump between levels than CoC provides) I plan to make my own handles out of aluminum round stock and knurl them.

Go go frog stands, lean all the way forward do this every day for as long as you can 3-4 sets, if you can, do handstands, they increase hand strength like crazy.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Gear/Equipment forum :(
But i was hoping to get the attention of people who are actually serious about it.

What's the point? Buy a 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and maybe a Trainer. Total spent: $100. Total time: 5 minutes.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Gear/Equipment forum :(
But i was hoping to get the attention of people who are actually serious about it.

gear and equipment more than likely wouldn't be of any help. that sub-forum generally is more MMA gear oriented. you posted in the right section, no one has an answer at this time though seemingly.

You could always just call and ask Ironmind. Simplest solution.

What's the point? Buy a 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and maybe a Trainer. Total spent: $100. Total time: 5 minutes.

Because I have the desire and ability to do so?

I guess I should have been less specific with my inital question. Too much technical content. Other than the fact that it works your hands, what do people usually look for in a gripper?

When I compile all the information I need to produce one, I plan to make a step-by-step guide, materials list and a blueprint.

Last edited:
Go go frog stands, lean all the way forward do this every day for as long as you can 3-4 sets, if you can, do handstands, they increase hand strength like crazy.

You didn't read the OP.

When grippers are calibrated, they use a 1" lashing strap. You're correct, anything wider or more narrow will change the amount of force required to close it.

Also, gripper strength varies greatly from every manufacturer. You can easily have a 20-40lb variance in 2 identical grippers from the same manufacturer. For example, a CoC #2 averages around 230 lbs, but I know a guy who had his measured at just over 250lbs.

Here is a link that has some gripper numbers for comparison, but your mileage will vary: http://www.talkpa.net/official-list-gripper-rankings-t12250.html?amp;

EDIT: Also make sure you put the strap around the non-dogleg handle on the gripper when calibrating

i really want to try thing for " iron mind" i have had a weak left wrist for a long time

wrist curls, finger curls, plate pinch and towel pull ups are easy to do exercises without the need for special equipment. grippers train crushing strength for grippers. it's hard to simulate that.

here is a beginner routine from david horne himself:
https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/12608-first-workout-for-beginners/

have fun
i tried kratom , tramadol , tens machine , swimming with foam weights , stretching for my hand it just feels the same .. the most dangerous thing i can try is hope

wrist curls, finger curls, plate pinch and towel pull ups are easy to do exercises without the need for special equipment. grippers train crushing strength for grippers. it's hard to simulate that.

here is a beginner routine from david horne himself:
https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/12608-first-workout-for-beginners/

have fun

i think you're right i think i am taking too narrow a view of this .. i got these elastic bands and they are really helping my wrist not the cheap shit bands but " matt furey " bands

no corpse i am not having fun , not at all, the stronger it gets the more inflamed it gets .. the weaker it gets the better off i am

Last edited:
Kroc rows seemed to help my grip on deadlifts. They are just high rep one arm rows with extra English on the movement basically but the heavy weight and high reps make it a bitch. Also I've been doing a few sets of tricep pull downs with this stupid grenade attachment and it hurts my hands after so idk. I'm no expert by any means but the rows definitely seemed to help

~DaViD~

Kroc rows seemed to help my grip on deadlifts. They are just high rep one arm rows with extra English on the movement basically but the heavy weight and high reps make it a bitch. Also I've been doing a few sets of tricep pull downs with this stupid grenade attachment and it hurts my hands after so idk. I'm no expert by any means but the rows definitely seemed to help

~DaViD~

wow thanks man that really helped i feel much stronger in my left hand .. i should seriously be paying you. thanks man thats your good deed for the month

Hey folks, I would like some advice on hand conditioning regarding Joint Ligament and Muscle Strengthening exercises and methods to avoid injury.
I currently have a small degenerative thumb knuckle (interphalangeal joint) change as a 47 year old and want to improve and continue my training.
Location of affected area as below...........

upload_2018-8-29_13-48-3.png

This was affected or flared due to hard impact boxing just wearing gloves and the thumb pointing forward. : (
Can you offer any remedial and conditioning exercises that would help in this area.
There is no dislocation or fracture just cartilage deterioration or wearing out.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back