reyes training gloves

I have the Hybrids, my Mediums worked out at about 16oz, which is fine by me.

The problem I have though is that while the hybrid closure is great, it's also just a pain. It's not really easy to lace them up around your wrist like regular lace-ups, so the fit isn't quite as perfect as with lace-ups. Plus you have to ask someone to help lace you up every time, which means that if you're going to wear them properly you may as well just buy a pair of lace-ups.

Alternatively you can either tie the laces loose enough to slip your hands in or get some elastic cord (which is what I ended up doing), which helps a bit, but you're really just relying on the velcro, so you may as well buy the actual velcro gloves.

Sounds like you've bought the Velcros anyway, which would probably have been my suggestion in your case.

well in my gym depending on what mood the coach is in we have days where you just go in and hit the heavy bag until you wait to get called on the pads, after the pads you either go back to the heavy bag or get called to spar and then at the end you do ground work, so in them kind of training sessions I could get my hybrids tied up (for the benefits of lace up) as they will only be coming off either once on non sparring days which I would take off before we do ground work or twice on sparring days I would change from the hybrids over to my sparring gloves and then from my sparring gloves to no gloves for the ground work.. then there are days which I call (boxercize) types of classes where its less about technique and more about fitness and your body being worked until your practically stumbling out the door at the end of the session, these types of sessions I would not bother with lace up as the gloves are constantly coming off you go from hitting the bag to medicine ball throws, from medicine ball throws to squats, to shadow boxing with weights in your hands then back to hitting the heavy bag then to something else, your constantly switching excercizes so tieing my laces on these sessions would be a massive inconvenience.

so that is why the hybrids appealed to me because of the type of training I will be doing, however I can definitely see what you mean how it would be awkward to tie up around the hybrid wrist, I have not ever seen a reyes glove in person before but on the hybrids you can see from pictures how the Velcro strap takes up the whole length of the cuff, with the normal lace up there is the triple cuff which you can obviously rest the laces on one of the grooves, so I think like others on this thread have said, if any future members or guests ever get stuck on making this decision and do the same kind of training as me the best bet for you to do would be to get the lace ups and get a hook and loop converter if you can put up with ugliness lol.

Last edited:
I have my LACE-UP or Velcro Rivals for classed

I switch them up depending on what we do lolll

did I break a rule on this thread or something I am trying to start a new thread and its saying 'you have no privileges to post here'? and there is just no start a no new thread option?

did I break a rule on this thread or something I am trying to start a new thread and its saying 'you have no privileges to post here'? and there is just no start a no new thread option?

White belts are no longer allowed to start threads. See sticky post at head of this sub forum.

Last edited:
#whitebeltlivesmatter
I know its pathetic, I don't know who these moderators think they are its only a forum, like I cant believe there is rankings on here, this guy has been around for a longer time and this guy has posted more so he has more privileges than you, its a fucking internet forum I don't come here for a chat like the rest of the so called higher people I come here for advice on where to spend my money LMFAO

I know its pathetic, I don't know who these moderators think they are its only a forum, like I cant believe there is rankings on here, this guy has been around for a longer time and this guy has posted more so he has more privileges than you, its a fucking internet forum I don't come here for a chat like the rest of the so called higher people I come here for advice on where to spend my money LMFAO

Lol damn I didn't even know that there is a ranking system till now.

This post actually made me lean towards Hybrids rather than the Standard Training gloves haha

Funny I thought the same and went with the standard Velcro training gloves.
Guess that’s what makes for horse racing lol

This will be valuable for future buyers :

14 OZ Velcro training Cleto gloves weight about 19 oz ( weighed mine with an electronic food scale )

12 Oz Velcro’s training Cleto gloves weight an exact 16 Oz , same method used

Something to consider ...

Just as a little extra : Hayabusa gloves do match the exact weight
Windy match exact weight
Top King were 12oz the 16oz ha ha (cheaters)
Twins special match exact weight

14 OZ Velcro training Cleto gloves weight about 19 oz ( weighed mine with an electronic food scale )

Windy match exact weight

My Cleto's have usually be only .5 of a gram out.
Topboxer has always been very close to the weight
Fairtex have usually been spot on
RDX was 10oz I bought for my girlfirend and they ended up weighing 17oz hahaha

Hayabusa gloves do match the exact weight
Windy match exact weight

One more data point:
Boon 16oz (2nd Gen, not new 3rd gen) - weight 14oz

Windy match exact weight

That does not apply to all cleto reyes gloves, some are overweight some aren't, some are massively overweight and some just a little bit over, if you ring the shop your purchasing from the people are usually friendly enough to go and weigh a load of gloves for you.. lets say you share your concern that your looking for 16oz in a particular brand but the brand you like are notorious for coming in heavy, they should go and weigh a load of 16oz to find a pair for you which is more closer to its labeled weight, a lot of shops in the uk have done this for me (sugar reyes, fight outlet etc) and i know that title and ringside (usa) are just as friendly, although i have not asked them to weigh gloves, they have however been very helpful in other situations but they are better to speak to on live chat or if you ring them as sometimes they don't reply to emails.

There are a lot of fakes sold over ebay and amazon. That might be a reason why weight is not the same in all cases.
Some producers also look at other metrics other than the glove's weight. I.e. the size and energy absorbtion factors. After all no 24 Inch monitor is exactly 24 inches wide. It's just a definition of a monitor with certain characteristics.

My 14oz cletos that weigh over 1lb were bought in the main Cleto store / factory in Mexico City . The 12oz cletos that weigh 14oz come from the Cleto Reyes USA store in San Diego CA . That is their main USA warehouse and store . I don’t mind the overweight , the quality of both is excellent so really makes no difference . I’m sure their fight gloves which come in 8 or 10oz are exact in weigh . With the weak peso against dollar at the moment your able to score a pair at the Mexico store for about $85 US dollars

I need to buy a pair of training gloves bag and pads I'm 180-190 pounds. What size would you suggest me? 14 oz or 16oz?

I need to buy a pair of training gloves bag and pads I'm 180-190 pounds. What size would you suggest me? 14 oz or 16oz?

New
i am not far off your weight just a couple of pounds lighter and my personal preference is 16oz for bag and pads, but i do like to mix it up with a 12 oz pair to make my hands a bit faster and its nicer on the pads as well when you hear your knuckles cracking and can let your hands fly, but if your only looking for 1 and you want a mixture of protection and speed i would say go for 14 oz as your all rounder glove, but it really does not matter bro either one will do but you might find you feel a bit sluggish in 16's thats all but it can also get you used to sparring as that is the weight you will use.

Thanks for your reply.

Already have a pair of 16 oz for bag and another pair of 16 oz I use for sparring only.

I would like to try a new pair of gloves (for bag and pads). Since I have already 2 pair in 16 oz weight. I was thinking to change weight maybe 12 oz or 14oz.

Can be good for training changing gloves weight?

i would say go for 12 oz then because you fight in 10's so its closer to the gloves you will be fighting in

I have these in 16 oz. and they feel like they are about 18oz. Conservatively. It’s pretty common for these to run heavier than labeled. Might want to keep this in mind. Oh these were super tight on my medium sized hands. I couldn’t get my hands in with wraps on. After several sessions on the heavybag without hand wraps it opened up enough that I can now fit a wrapped hand in it. My sons Reyes were just the opposite with a roomy hand pocket which felt a little too big imo. Seems like a toss up on what you get lol.
~ Mike

Back