Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Yes, against a side wall. Just where I assembled them. I shot them with a benjamin pellet gun.
Outstanding. Thank you for sharing your range pics. That's what we need, a topic where we show our range setup or at least the setup of the day. :)

Outstanding. Thank you for sharing your range pics. That's what we need, a topic where we show our range setup or at least the setup of the day. :)

I’ll throw out last weeks training plan, range is small, 100m wide, 580m to the back wall. Winds are almost always from the 12, maybe the 10-11, very minor wind calls.

Confirmed zero, then went to 10 rds, 10 sec each, standing to prone, 1in pasty at 100m. Emphsis on building a stable prone position quickly and achieving a 1moa shot. Not an overly difficult drill but there’s some things you have to do quickly to get good shots.

Followed that up with a 300m group, then 500m, 10 rds - no time. Goal under 2moa - consideration of heat (over 100F) and weapon being at best a 1 moa gun.

Next was seated, knealing, prone, at 300m, 10rds each position, 120 sec time each position. General goal was to be on paper obviously prone being the acception - did not shot at 300 standing moved firing line to 200. I really like standing drills with the long gun as it helps build trigger control, firing on demand, from a generally unstable position. Suppressors and 24in barrels make standing shots difficult.

Finally put in some work on barricades PRS, roof top, and windows, just reworking the positions. The next day was mostly barrier positional shooting from various crap we’ve aquired. Tires, rocks, vehicles, ect.

Ended with a beer shoot, from 15m 3 hits with pistol on 3x steel targets (12in x 12in) long gun slung, move to PRS barrier 2 hits each position at 500m (12” x 20” stab) back to 15m pistol 3 more hits, then to the roof barrier 2 shots from left side, top, right at same 500m target. Fastest time wins.

I tend to like starting and ending the days with a comp.

I attached an example of what we’ve built - minus ours are covered in plywood and not just framed out. I think these things are very fun to incorperate in long gun shooting. The VTAC 9 hole is good as well..

Attachments

• 1534A4BD-4811-40EA-BECC-47F19BBDC4DD.jpeg
    1534A4BD-4811-40EA-BECC-47F19BBDC4DD.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 10
I’ll throw out last weeks training plan, range is small, 100m wide, 580m to the back wall. Winds are almost always from the 12, maybe the 10-11, very minor wind calls.

Confirmed zero, then went to 10 rds, 10 sec each, standing to prone, 1in pasty at 100m. Emphsis on building a stable prone position quickly and achieving a 1moa shot. Not an overly difficult drill but there’s some things you have to do quickly to get good shots.

Followed that up with a 300m group, then 500m, 10 rds - no time. Goal under 2moa - consideration of heat (over 100F) and weapon being at best a 1 moa gun.

Next was seated, knealing, prone, at 300m, 10rds each position, 120 sec time each position. General goal was to be on paper obviously prone being the acception - did not shot at 300 standing moved firing line to 200. I really like standing drills with the long gun as it helps build trigger control, firing on demand, from a generally unstable position. Suppressors and 24in barrels make standing shots difficult.

Finally put in some work on barricades PRS, roof top, and windows, just reworking the positions. The next day was mostly barrier positional shooting from various crap we’ve aquired. Tires, rocks, vehicles, ect.

Ended with a beer shoot, from 15m 3 hits with pistol on 3x steel targets (12in x 12in) long gun slung, move to PRS barrier 2 hits each position at 500m (12” x 20” stab) back to 15m pistol 3 more hits, then to the roof barrier 2 shots from left side, top, right at same 500m target. Fastest time wins.

I tend to like starting and ending the days with a comp.

I attached an example of what we’ve built - minus ours are covered in plywood and not just framed out. I think these things are very fun to incorperate in long gun shooting. The VTAC 9 hole is good as well..
Excellent description of your day. Thank you for explaining it and providing a picture. Right now, I'm restricted to pistols, pistol caliber carbines and shotguns at the range I joined. They don't allow typical rifle calibers such as 223/556, 308, etc. None of the bays are long enough for one and they are highly cautious about length of travel as there are two subdivisions bracketing the range. The range was around 1st, whatcha gonna do, but they emphasis being good neighbors. So unless I pick up a carbine I'm restricted to pistol/shotgun transitions or individual drills with either depending on what I feel like that day. As I know I need more work with the pistol that is what I have been focusing on. Last weekend I worked within between 30 and 40 yards from the target. Static standing precision shooting and lateral movements ranging in that 30 to 40 yard range. Set out some cones to define my work area.

This weekend I plan on mixing between steel and paper. Steel for the shots 20 yards and beyond and paper for 20 yards down to 5. Or at least that's the plan anyway. Should be three steel IPDA/IPSC style silhouettes and two cardboard silhouettes.

Excellent description of your day. Thank you for explaining it and providing a picture. Right now, I'm restricted to pistols, pistol caliber carbines and shotguns at the range I joined. They don't allow typical rifle calibers such as 223/556, 308, etc. None of the bays are long enough for one and they are highly cautious about length of travel as there are two subdivisions bracketing the range. The range was around 1st, whatcha gonna do, but they emphasis being good neighbors. So unless I pick up a carbine I'm restricted to pistol/shotgun transitions or individual drills with either depending on what I feel like that day. As I know I need more work with the pistol that is what I have been focusing on. Last weekend I worked within between 30 and 40 yards from the target. Static standing precision shooting and lateral movements ranging in that 30 to 40 yard range. Set out some cones to define my work area.

This weekend I plan on mixing between steel and paper. Steel for the shots 20 yards and beyond and paper for 20 yards down to 5. Or at least that's the plan anyway. Should be three steel IPDA/IPSC style silhouettes and two cardboard silhouettes.

I’m a big fan of IPSC paper targets, easy to score, and cheap. VTAC skeleton being my most preferred target when I’m not running IPSC drills.

Bummer on the ranges being restrictive but sounds like you’re making the best of it. The shotgun is my most undertrained aspect of shooting. I really would like to get on it more, that’s a make or break gun in some comps I have seen.

Do you run a pro timer for a lot of your drills?

I’m a big fan of IPSC paper targets, easy to score, and cheap. VTAC skeleton being my most preferred target when I’m not running IPSC drills.

Bummer on the ranges being restrictive but sounds like you’re making the best of it. The shotgun is my most undertrained aspect of shooting. I really would like to get on it more, that’s a make or break gun in some comps I have seen.

Do you run a pro timer for a lot of your drills?
Haven't run timed drills yet. Still working on a lot of muscle memory work. Still pretty new to this. I'm just obsessive. lol Kinda OCD that way. Usually I'll walk the course a couple of time in a dry fire run. Slow, steady and just visualizing it. Then run the course the way I visualized it a few times. Once that's done I walk the course again kinda going over what I screwed up on and thinking about what I need to work on.

I know eventually I'll start timing the runs to work on speed but I feel I need to work on mechanics more right now than speed.

I really need to start keeping a range journal so I can mark my progress and keep in mind what I learned from each session.

Haven't run timed drills yet. Still working on a lot of muscle memory work. Still pretty new to this. I'm just obsessive. lol Kinda OCD that way. Usually I'll walk the course a couple of time in a dry fire run. Slow, steady and just visualizing it. Then run the course the way I visualized it a few times. Once that's done I walk the course again kinda going over what I screwed up on and thinking about what I need to work on.

I know eventually I'll start timing the runs to work on speed but I feel I need to work on mechanics more right now than speed.

I really need to start keeping a range journal so I can mark my progress and keep in mind what I learned from each session.

That's great, its all about the fundamentals in this game. Become accurate first, speed comes later, then you can work your threshold when you're ready to push it. If you're solo I recommend videoing your runs for review.

There's allot to be said for dry firing. Hold yourself to the standard, if the sight post moved, something happened. I usually dry fire prior to any course of fire, then I dry fire around the house. I setup mini barricades and 1in targets then practice dry firing and transitioning, which is where you make your money at in many different events.

I've been fortunate to attend allot of courses and even instructed myself. Plenty of schools of thought on fundamentals. I generally sum it up to 3: trigger squeeze, straight back and to the rear. Focus on the sight. Be as stable as possible. Of course there's many nuances in there however if it's CQB, IPSC, 3 gun, or long range, you do those 3 you'll be set for success.

Next week I'll be working close range drills. El Prez, FAST, and a few other pistol/rifle >100 drills. I'll see what I can do to write up the work, it's more combat marksmanship focused.

That's great, its all about the fundamentals in this game. Become accurate first, speed comes later, then you can work your threshold when you're ready to push it. If you're solo I recommend videoing your runs for review.

There's allot to be said for dry firing. Hold yourself to the standard, if the sight post moved, something happened. I usually dry fire prior to any course of fire, then I dry fire around the house. I setup mini barricades and 1in targets then practice dry firing and transitioning, which is where you make your money at in many different events.

I've been fortunate to attend allot of courses and even instructed myself. Plenty of schools of thought on fundamentals. I generally sum it up to 3: trigger squeeze, straight back and to the rear. Focus on the sight. Be as stable as possible. Of course there's many nuances in there however if it's CQB, IPSC, 3 gun, or long range, you do those 3 you'll be set for success.

Next week I'll be working close range drills. El Prez, FAST, and a few other pistol/rifle >100 drills. I'll see what I can do to write up the work, it's more combat marksmanship focused.
Thank for the advice. Today went well at the range. I didnt have as much time to shoot today as I had planned so I only put out 2 IPDA steel targets today. Drill was double tap to 1st then double tap to 2nd. Mag change then double tap on 2nd then back to double tap the 1st. Targets where 10ft apart. Shot from 40ft. Groups were for shit and follow up shots where about 65%, but the initial shots on each target where on point. Really got to work on the follow ups. I was rushing those shots even though I know better. Live and learn. Lol

Thank for the advice. Today went well at the range. I didnt have as much time to shoot today as I had planned so I only put out 2 IPDA steel targets today. Drill was double tap to 1st then double tap to 2nd. Mag change then double tap on 2nd then back to double tap the 1st. Targets where 10ft apart. Shot from 40ft. Groups were for shit and follow up shots where about 65%, but the initial shots on each target where on point. Really got to work on the follow ups. I was rushing those shots even though I know better. Live and learn. Lol

Nice even a rough day on the range beats just about anything else!

Getting that snap sight picture is very important for those second shots. 10ft apart is great for working the eyes first, then gun driving to the target.

Finally got the PC Carbine this week. Gonna have a range session Friday. Will report back.

Shot the last few days pistol and carbine 100m and in, did some internal standards tests, like the 2x2 hp/lp moving.. been behind the long gun most of the last months so it was a little rough.

Few pistol drills we ran:
Aggragate 700 classic Larry Vickers drill scored 550. I've got closer to 600 before but I always botch a stage and kill my score.
Fast Pistol test, 5.8.
10m w/ turn El Presidente 9.2 (2c zone) with plate carrier.
All pistol shot with a completely stock Glock 22 40cal and 180gr ammo.

The fast test was fun, only did 3 runs, second time I've tried it. Simple enough but gotta be accurate and quick on the reload. Had an under 5 time but penalties killed me, showed it down to achieve a qualifying score. .8 from expert though.

Shooting in 100+ heat doesn't make anything easier.

Shot a comp, 2 gun, all IPSC targets.

Pistol stage finished well, just need to work on getting in position more efficiently. Rifle ate me up, did 2 stages: targets, 100, 60, 30. Really didn't do well. Cost me top 3, but I went back and reworked fundamentals. Seated was poor head position, 100 was forgetting my hold on the 25m/300m point blank zero I run. Simple errors big points. Lesson for me was overconfidence. I thought my ar game was in the bag.. kicking myself when the score posted and my time was great but my accuracy was not.

Last edited:
GotqKsH.jpg

OWk6CNU.jpg

R.I.P., a replacement is on its way.

Man, today I just shot my best ever qualifier and it's been almost a year since I shot a pistol; during my last qualification.

I don't know if archery necessarily helped, but after months of shooting a compound bow out to 60 and 70 yards, our 25 metre stage felt so damned close.

Started the break in for my new Springfield 1911 RO Elite.

Had a few jams through the initial 100 rounds or so. Mostly failures to chamber rounds but I was using shitty reloads.

Gonna strip it and clean it thoroughly and do another break in shoot next week too.

Only issue I had was rounds landing to the left of my point of aim by about 3 inches. Gotta tweak my grip and trigger pull next time to see if I can fix it. Been a long time since I've shot a 1911.

Totally lost focus at the range today, groupings for shit. Ah well even a bad day at the range is better than no day...

g1ED2rj.jpg

I was just about to get rid of my Primos trigger sticks, I felt like I bought them for the wrong reason and am looking to replace them with a more optics-friendly rig, but it looks like they'll be my crutch for the season. I'm shooting a Ruger Gunsite Scout; 18", non-threaded, stainless barrel; Leupold VX-II 1.5-4x28mm IER; on Leupold low QRW; which is on top of a full-length XS Sights rail. I'm shooting Hornady American Whitetail 165 grain soft points.

ijU3XQY.jpg

Yes, my table needs cleaning, no, I didn't kill shit during archery season. Here's hoping I can apply some lessons learned there during rifle season.

Enjoyed a novice oriented, zombie themed match over the weekend.

Went shooting with my old man on Monday for his 60th birthday.

Took the 1911 back out along with my SIG P220 Carry Elite.

Figured out the issue with my 1911 landing to the left, my grip panel on that side was super loose. Tightening it down brought the groups back in place

The SIG was a tack driver as usual. Probably why I carried it for like 6 years.

Also my old man did pretty solid for being very out of practice and firing guns he isn't used to.

He carries an XDM as his CCW.

Yesterday went something like this.

Took the CZ 452 bolt-action .22lr out for the first time. Sighted in the 3-9x scope. Was putting sots consistently in a 1" circle at 50 yards. Then just rang some steel out at 100 yards. 100 rounds total.

Next (@RerouteToRemain) was the PWS 7.62x39 AR15 upper. Put an ACOG on it and used 5/10/28/30 round CPD mags. 120 rounds of Red Army ammo later, not a single issue. This included putting together a few high-speed strings. Took like 5-10 shots to sight it in then you couldn't miss at 100 yards.

Took out the Nordic .22lr AR15 upper. Had it before and it worked great. This time not so much. Lots of failures to eject. Wondering if it's an issue with the ammo (American Eagle 40gr. HV). Maybe I was using the Winchester Super X previously. 150 rounds of disappointment.

Then out came my 1st AR15 build (Pretty Penny). 180 rounds later I wonder if she just doesn't like the cheap-ass ATI 62gr. ammo. Couldn't get a decent group. Looked like something I'd have been happy with had I been shooting irons. With a scope I need to do better. Wish I had some 77gr. ammo to try.

Only too two handguns instead of the usual five or so. The Colt 1911 9mm functioned flawlessly over 40 rounds. Nice to shoot. Accuracy for me was so-so.

The CZ P10-C saw its first action. 60 rounds of no problems. Far more accurate in my hands than the Colt. In fact, I put a few mags through it shooting at the 100 yard gong. Probably about a 25% hit rate. In on mag with the Colt I got zero hits. Much better results at the 10 yard bullseye target too.

Last was the Kriss 9mm carbine. This thing rules. Couldn't miss at 100 yards with the Trijicon MRO attached. Only had about 50 rounds in me at that point so we packed everything up.

Merry Christmas to me. :)

Back