Thoughts on the Arcade1up cabs?

[insert_name_here]

Better than the best, Ooh Yeah!
@Brown
Reaction score
https://www.arcade1up.com/

GameRant-Arcade-1Up.jpg.optimal.jpg

I am hearing conflicting things… descent price point @ $299.00 USD.

Of course the one cabinet, I am interested in is not going on sale till spring 2019.

I am hearing major rumblings about the control interface. I guess, we won’t know for sure until these things officially hit the streets.

I am concerned over cheap electronics and particleboard construction.

I may just have to Ben Heck my own Cabinet…

I'm interested in the fact that someone will get a hold of one of these, and then mod it up by wiring a Raspberry Pi to it, and then make a tutorial on how to do that for the masses. Other than that, they don't seem all that bad. I would definitely like to see what the cabinets are like hands on before wanting to drop $299.00 ($399.00 after the pre-orders are all gone).

Those are bad ass, but there are so many of those classic ones for sale on Craiglist around here. id probably just grab an orginal.

@Gref you need an SF one

I only care about Turd Strike.

The company has also been pretty responsive to fan interest online w/ rumors of Mortal Kombat, Pac-Man and Marvel vs Capcom cabinets to be announced.

I just ordered a Pi 3 B+ but am going to have to find a solid controller if I want to build my own cab…

https://www.arcade1up.com/

GameRant-Arcade-1Up.jpg.optimal.jpg

I am hearing conflicting things… descent price point @ $299.00 USD.

Of course the one cabinet, I am interested in is not going on sale till spring 2019.

I am hearing major rumblings about the control interface. I guess, we won’t know for sure until these things officially hit the streets.

I am concerned over cheap electronics and particleboard construction.

I may just have to Ben Heck my own Cabinet…

For that price you could build your own raspberry pi bar top that can run arcade, nes, sega, genesis, snes, neo geo, and all other available emulators. I actually made a thread about it in mayberry.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/bulding-an-old-school-arcade-machine.3801247/

Here are a few a friend of mine built and is putting the finishing touches on right now.

80e334e5-b4f7-4fce-9666-d07a011c1ba5

Last edited:
The hardest part would be making the cabinet which you can purchase a blue print for online. There is no soldering or anything involved as the wiring for the buttons snaps together. You can even buy the cabinets for around 100 and put it together yourself. Really if you wanted to get started all you would need is the following...

$67
il_570xN.1571582677_js2q.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/619523...MIyMbI_eu13AIV0oh-Ch0Piw7qEAkYAyABEgLc8PD_BwE

Two sets of buttons $32
s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/372038613422?chn=ps

Raspberry pie computer $35
View attachment 410785
https://express.google.com/product/...campaign=gsx&dclid=CNOTkqnttdwCFQg7TwodSUoFRg

LCD monitor you can usually find these at goodwill or other thrift store for like $20 or for even a couple dollars online.

$3
31gQXnDV2gL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:172282,n:!493964,n:541966,n:1292115011,p_n_feature_three_browse-bin:724227011,p_36:1253503011&bbn=1292115011&ie=UTF8&qid=1532466436&rnid=386442011

vga to hdmi adapter $8
41KqDnKzBsL._AC_US218_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_3?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=vga+to+hdmi&sprefix=vga,electronics,203&crid=27W9UZ9G40ZHY

Plexiglass $20 Not necessary, but ads a nice touch
plexiglass-lexan.jpg

power strip with long cord or power source if you want to have a on off switch. Power strip is good enough though $16
41AMF69R5WL.jpg

Top light (also optional) $16
white-westek-bar-strip-lights-usl11hbcc-64_1000.jpg

Some old computer speakers for sound you can also find these online or at a thrift store for around $10. Or just ask around people usually have an old set of these lying around.

412-HbslD0L._AC_US218_.jpg

Oil based latex primer and paint. $20

View attachment 410789

Harware such as hinge for the back panel, monitor mounts, and screws and such $20

All in all $247 dollars

Last edited:
I’m not too concerned w/ the actual construction. I have access to a woodshop and a print shop.

I want a responsive durable controller. Also, I am going to have to figure out clean stereo audio…

Debating on a lighted marquee, though… if I am using a Pi, cooling is a concern…

I’m not too concerned w/ the actual construction. I have access to a woodshop and a print shop.

I want a responsive durable controller. Also, I am going to have to figure out clean stereo audio…

Debating on a lighted marquee, though… if I am using a Pi, cooling is a concern…

As long as you don't leave it on all of the time cooling shouldn't be a concern. I'm actually going to buy one of the ones my friend has made and he let me borrow it for about a week.

The menu's are awesome and the controls are very responsive. It feels just like the arcade. I would just shut it down when I was done using it never got too hot.

You could install a fan if you wanted to, but I don't think it's necessary. There are also plenty of tutorials online on how to build it and set up the software too.

This is what the software looks like...

As long as you don't leave it on all of the time cooling shouldn't be a concern. I'm actually going to buy one of the ones my friend has made and he let me borrow it for about a week.

The menu's are awesome and the controls are very responsive. It feels just like the arcade. I would just shut it down when I was done using it never got too hot.

You could install a fan if you wanted to, but I don't think it's necessary. There are also plenty of tutorials online on how to build it and set up the software too.

This is what the software looks like...

Yeah, I know I can isolate the marquee compartment for proper venting and cooling.

I know, I can also get low output LED strips.

I ordered heat sinks for the Pi, but this will be my first. I’m thinking, I’m going to burn right through that board…

At home, I am using original hardware and emulators to get my retro fix but have noticed there is significant difference between controls and sound.

Have you seen the NeoGeo Minis?

The hardest part would be making the cabinet which you can purchase a blue print for online. There is no soldering or anything involved as the wiring for the buttons snaps together. You can even buy the cabinets for around 100 and put it together yourself. Really if you wanted to get started all you would need is the following...

$67
il_570xN.1571582677_js2q.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/619523...MIyMbI_eu13AIV0oh-Ch0Piw7qEAkYAyABEgLc8PD_BwE

Two sets of buttons $32
s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/372038613422?chn=ps

Raspberry pie computer $35
View attachment 410785
https://express.google.com/product/...campaign=gsx&dclid=CNOTkqnttdwCFQg7TwodSUoFRg

LCD monitor you can usually find these at goodwill or other thrift store for like $20 or for even a couple dollars online.

$3
31gQXnDV2gL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:172282,n:!493964,n:541966,n:1292115011,p_n_feature_three_browse-bin:724227011,p_36:1253503011&bbn=1292115011&ie=UTF8&qid=1532466436&rnid=386442011

vga to hdmi adapter $8
41KqDnKzBsL._AC_US218_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_3?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=vga+to+hdmi&sprefix=vga,electronics,203&crid=27W9UZ9G40ZHY

Plexiglass $20 Not necessary, but ads a nice touch
plexiglass-lexan.jpg

power strip with long cord or power source if you want to have a on off switch. Power strip is good enough though $16
41AMF69R5WL.jpg

Top light (also optional) $16
white-westek-bar-strip-lights-usl11hbcc-64_1000.jpg

Some old computer speakers for sound you can also find these online or at a thrift store for around $10. Or just ask around people usually have an old set of these lying around.

412-HbslD0L._AC_US218_.jpg

Oil based latex primer and paint. $20

View attachment 410789

Harware such as hinge for the back panel, monitor mounts, and screws and such $20

All in all $247 dollars
True... But you have to realize that this kit/setup is geared (just like many products) with the normal consumer in mind. These are the folks that may not be mechanically or technically inclined, who would rather purchase a pre-fabbed kit, assemble it and then get to gaming. Heck, even you yourself point out that you're buying one of the bar tops that your friend has built instead of putting one together yourself. Not that anything is wrong with that, but your open decision doesn't support the case you're constructing with this post. In the end, for some they don't have the time or the know-how (or both) to put their own product together. In that case, they dump a few hundred disposable dollars on one of these and that's completely okay.

Even then if you're looking at less than $60 difference in the price between one or the other, I'm going to save a lot of time and travel ordering from one place. I'm also going to save a lot of time not having to measure and cut things, which I can easily mess up. The other side to it is that I can return the kit if I really don't like it. If I mess up with the raw materials, or if I'm unhappy with the end product, I'm not going to be able to return all of those things. At less than a $60 price difference, it may not be worth the time and effort for a lot of people.

True... But you have to realize that this kit/setup is geared (just like many products) with the normal consumer in mind. These are the folks that may not be mechanically or technically inclined, who would rather purchase a pre-fabbed kit, assemble it and then get to gaming. Heck, even you yourself point out that you're buying one of the bar tops that your friend has built instead of putting one together yourself. Not that anything is wrong with that, but your open decision doesn't support the case you're constructing with this post. In the end, for some they don't have the time or the know-how (or both) to put their own product together. In that case, they dump a few hundred disposable dollars on one of these and that's completely okay.

Even then if you're looking at less than $60 difference in the price between one or the other, I'm going to save a lot of time and travel ordering from one place. I'm also going to save a lot of time not having to measure and cut things, which I can easily mess up. The other side to it is that I can return the kit if I really don't like it. If I mess up with the raw materials, or if I'm unhappy with the end product, I'm not going to be able to return all of those things. At less than a $60 price difference, it may not be worth the time and effort for a lot of people.

I could put one together myself. I do carpentry work for a living and have all of the tools to do so. I'm also techie enough to handle the software and hardware end. The reason I'm buying one of my buddies is that he's made several of them and it's worth it for me to spend the extra $150-$200 that he's going to charge, so I don't have to deal with it. I'm buying it for $450.

Those arcades in the OP aree fucking sweet, but they only come with 3 or 4 games built in. The design I displayed has the ability to put any nes, snes, sega, atari, intelevision, commodore 64, PS1, MS Dos, gameboy, nintendo ds, arcade neo geo, n64, and every other retro game ever made playable for free on one machine.

Plus there is online tutorials on how to set these up and you can buy the cabinets prefabbed if you don't fell comfortable doing the cuts.

I could put one together myself. I do carpentry work for a living and have all of the tools to do so. I'm also techie enough to handle the software and hardware end. The reason I'm buying one of my buddies is that he's made several of them and it's worth it for me to spend the extra $150-$200 that he's going to charge, so I don't have to deal with it. I'm buying it for $450.

Those arcades in the OP aree fucking sweet, but they only come with 3 or 4 games built in. The design I displayed has the ability to put any nes, snes, sega, atari, intelevision, commodore 64, PS1, MS Dos, gameboy, nintendo ds, arcade neo geo, n64, and every other retro game ever made playable for free on one machine.

Plus there is online tutorials on how to set these up and you can buy the cabinets prefabbed if you don't fell comfortable doing the cuts.
It really comes down to what the consumer is comfortable with putting together. I think the Arcade 1-Up cabs look pretty sweet. I really want to get my hands on one of them to see what the material and build quality is like. Because if I do get a hold of one of those, I'll probably mod it to connect a Raspberry Pi so that I can do exactly what your designs do. I already have a Pi. I just don't have the tools or time to fabricate the rest. Also, there's a bit of advantage of not having to deal with a full arcade footprint. I'm already halfway through matting up my garage, so I don't exactly have a whole lot of free real estate in my house.

I think we're talking about the same things really. We're just splitting the difference on how to get there.

I know it's not the same thing but for that price you could easily get a modded original xbox with thousands of arcade games (and NES, SNES, Genesis, etc). I picked up one a few years ago and it's dope.

Seems overpriced, but not even gonna lie... I would absolutely love to own one of these (especially the Rampage and Street Fighter 2 editions). Too bad I have virtually no spare room in my house for one.

I know it's not the same thing but for that price you could easily get a modded original xbox with thousands of arcade games (and NES, SNES, Genesis, etc). I picked up one a few years ago and it's dope.

yes did the same thing with all nes/snes games

wow!

Big Wow!

I am tempted to my cabinet MAMA build! 0

I'm interested in the fact that someone will get a hold of one of these, and then mod it up by wiring a Raspberry Pi to it, and then make a tutorial on how to do that for the masses. Other than that, they don't seem all that bad. I would definitely like to see what the cabinets are like hands on before wanting to drop $299.00 ($399.00 after the pre-orders are all gone).
I build joysticks and cabs every once and awhile...I’m a carpenter who games.

It’s not that hard..every tutorial you’d need is online...what is nice about these cabs is price point...but having cheap parts/monitor/sound will be a sacrifice...

Here is b15 Sdm designs
I don’t make stuff on this guys level(his paint is godly) but I’ve built Astro cabs and viewlix cabs .
Example below:

2d50a7f1d47035f3e630c06c6f1300c3.jpg

Low lag monitor...sanwa parts..multi platform pcb...a lot of carpenters/gamers sell diy wood cabs you can paint assemble yourself..definitely worth investing if your serious.

Here one that’s similar to my level of craftsmanship.

maxresdefault.jpg

This one is a pic I got from google but it is the same diy kit a very well known carpenter sells(mdf wood) via shoryuken forums.

Also..to any one interested..
Google
Viewlix clone diy cabinets

Or just outright buy a viewlix clone pre made..1400$ though.

ss_7872_2.jpg

But anyone who’s played on a cheaply and a premium cab could tell you it’s worth the money to get nicer setup..

The cheap ones are great for game rooms,kids..garages but not for serious players.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=Viewlix

Definitely check out this store if you want a higher end setup but don’t want to pay 1400$.
I think there around 300$ but you have to put your gaming system in..everything else is ready though.

Last edited:
Back