Is TUF still relevant?

doozer

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I often hear that TUF isn't relevant anymore. And it appeared that way for a while, the first few seasons made future champs and then there was a dead zone. But recently it has become very relevant again.
As of Nov 4th 2017, after TJ and Rose took their titles and before GSP beat Bisping there were 5 TUF alum UFC Champions.
1. Michael Bisping Middleweight Champ
2. Robert Whittaker Interm Middleweight Champ
3. Tony Ferguson Interm Lightweight Champ
4. T.J. Dillashaw Bantamweight Champ
5. Rose Namajunas Woman's Strawweight Champ

GSP beat Bisping to bring it down to 4, but then Nicco Montano won the Flyweight Champ to bring it back to 5.
And Finally Tony got injured and stripped. So we currently stand at 4.
I understand Nicco was a guaranteed title for TUF. But compared to the number of non-TUF fighters who fight in the UFC verus TUF fighters each year and the total number of belts TUF fighters are doing well above average.

Nicco being a champ doesn't make TUF relavent. It was a fake belt given to try and make the show relevent.

What?!?

TUF still a thing ?

My first thought also. I swear I thought they ended it a few years ago.
The last 2 Seasons I watched was TUF HW with Kimbo, Roy & Schaub
(Most fights were fckng boring)

And GSP Vs Koscheck #2
tuf 12?
(Only because it was GSP)

How Many Seasons they're on now ?

The last 2 Seasons I watched was TUF HW with Kimbo, Roy & Schaub
(Most fights were fckng boring)

And GSP Vs Koscheck #2
tuf 12?
(Only because it was GSP)

How Many Seasons they're on now ?
27 Standard season. Plus other ones like TUF Brazil and Latin America. And country vs country. TUF Nations and The Smashes (where Whittaker came from)

Last edited:
Nicco being a champ doesn't make TUF relavent. It was a fake belt given to try and make the show relevent.
Note I mentioned and took into account Nicco. Even not including here her TUF alum are well above average in UFC success.

Note I mentioned and took into account Nicco. Even not including here her TUF alum are well above average in UFC success.
Not going to lie, was so eager to bash that I didn't read close enough.

Well done

1. Michael Bisping Middleweight Champ
2. Robert Whittaker Interm Middleweight Champ
3. Tony Ferguson Interm Lightweight Champ
4. T.J. Dillashaw Bantamweight Champ
5. Rose Namajunas Woman's Strawweight Champ

Is interim still a word? Or are we using interm now.

No. TUF should morph into something more along the lines of Tuesday Night Contenders

The contender series IMO is killing off TUF. Dudes just want it so much more since its possibly one fight away and not have to try and not get injured since you are fighting every 7 days(give or take) on TUF

All belts have to stay somewhere.
The belt is legit. Nicco earned it fair and square. But it's hardly fair to count it among the TUF titles because it was a given for a TUF fighter, no one else had a shot. First she has to fight someone non TUF to really give it any credit as a TUF title.

The belt is legit. Nicco earned it fair and square. But it's hardly fair to count it among the TUF titles because it was a given for a TUF fighter, no one else had a shot. First she has to fight someone non TUF to really give it any credit as a TUF title.
I agree with this. The more a belt is defended the more seriously it will be taken.

The show isn't getting good ratings.

The contender series IMO is killing off TUF. Dudes just want it so much more since its possibly one fight away and not have to try and not get injured since you are fighting every 7 days(give or take) on TUF
I have to say DWTNCS fights have really picked up this season. Lots of impressive fighters, lots of good fights. I watch and enjoy both shows.
However the high levels of finishes in this series means they are taking a lot of the fighters, not just the cream of the crop. As a percent of those getting contracts I feel a lot fewer will rise to the top.
The other thing is that I remember TUF fighters I've watched, most DWTNCS fighters I can't trace back to the show. Too many fighters for too short of time. I'm sure it will bring in a lot of new fighters, but it's kind of like watching prelims in the UFC, a bunch of fighters I don't know.

It is and always will be a platform that is as relevant as its talent and only time will tell how said talent develops. As far as a television/entertainment product goes though? No, god no.

Last edited:
Back