What are the best Book about training and/or Diet?

SouthSide971

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I train in mma and I look for the best possible ways to impress my physical abilities and my cardio.
Since im Always on my phone on the internet looking for some training/diet advice
I think it's time for me to go to books, do you have any good books on the subject to recommend?

I have been reading practical programming for strength training by mark rippetoe and enjoying it. It lays out a simple novice and advanced novice training routine, and then gives a plethora of intermediate and advanced routines and the pros and cons of each. If your new I'm sure starting strength would be worth reading first.

~DaViD~

i think ross enamait's books are worth a look for more general workout info for ma.

I'm not a nutritionist, so take my recommendation with a few pounds of salt. But since you asked for diet advice:

I found Teri Tom's "Martial Arts Nutrition" to be pretty helpful. She was the nutritionist for Amir Khan, Pacquiao, and Arlovski among others, so she has experience with combat sport athletes. Her book explains the basics of the background science pretty clearly. It also has a bunch of sample diets with varied calorie counts, and a simple and understandable system to adapt it to your needs.

EDIT: If you do judo or BJJ, there's a judo conditioning book that came out recently that's pretty good for big picture stuff. Called, appropriately enough, "Strength and Conditioning for Judo". I haven't finished it, but like it so far for its clarity in explaining the general S&C principles at work.

My favorite book would be Eat.Stop.Eat by Brad Pilon, though you could argue it's not really about nutrition but time restricted feeding.
I also read The Warrior Diet, The Renegade Diet, and all articles on LeanGains.

i think ross enamait's books are worth a look for more general workout info for ma.

This is the correct answer.

Those other guys are not trainers for MMA or even combat sports. I have three of Enamati's books and they are all good and were ahead of the curve.

There are a number resources for the training aspect, Ross's stuff is good and he trains fighters so that would be a good starting point for you. Most importantly you need something you are going to do that fits with your schedule. As far as the diet aspect, the best thing you can do is use a calorie counter program like "myfitnesspal" you will first start counting calories then, adjust your macros, then start getting into tweaking your diet to what best suits you. To just go from your usual diet to a hardcore "plan" you read in most cases is a set up for failure since it is usually more of an extreme change than people want to do for a long period of time, it's really about changing your eating habits.

The diet part is harder than the training part, training is something you are commiting to for an hour or two a day the diet/nutrition thing is something you committing to 24/7.

Back