Best Anti-Wrestlers

Gotta be Aldo. I would say Jones but Jones is a wrestler which doesn't seem like an "anti-wrestler" really.

Aldo has beaten Edgar, Faber, Lamas, and Mendes x2. With the exception of the Edgar fight, none of them really were able to use their wrestling successfully and even Edgar was unable to do enough of it.

Exactly. Aldo's TDD is insane and even on the rare occasion he did get takedown he was back up within seconds.

Besides Hominick and Lamas whe Aldo was gassed in 5th rounds I don't recall anyone keeping him down for any significant amount of time.

Not counting Max when Aldo was rocked obviously.

BJ Penn may have been even better though, at Lightweight atleast.

Whittaker being able to force Brunson, Jacare, and Romero to fight on the feet is pretty impressive
Stephen Thompson uses his striking and angles so well that wrestlers are forced to fight on the outside
Cowboy gets outstruck but wrestlers don't really seem to be able to force the fight to the floor
Tony Ferguson?

Some guys are just good at derailing wrestlers hype and ability.

1. Jon Jones is for me the biggest Anti-wrestler on all levels from All-Americans to Olyampians. Vlad mats, Rashad, Sonnen, Bader, Hamill, O'Brien, and Cormier these are all elite wrestlers.

2. Robbie Lawler his been taking out many wrestlers lately

3. Chuck Lidell

4. Aldo

Nobody else comes to mind right now?

Jones is not an anti wrestler. Jones wrestled in college before he got kicked out. While wrestling in college he beat some people that became national champions.

Jones is a very good wrestler and uses his wrestling knowledge to avoid getting taken down.

Cro Cop is 16-1 vs wrestlers, only lost to Randleman.

He beat:

3x Josh Barnett - UFC champion
2x Kazuyuki Fujita - Top 10 ranked MMA fighter at that time, Japanese national wrestling champion
Mark Coleman - UFC & Pride Champion, NCAA Division 1 wrestling champion, silver medail on World championship
Kevin Randleman - UFC champion, NCAA Div 1 champion
Heath Herring - top 5 ranked MMA fighter at that time,
Amir Aliakbari - World Greco-Roman wrestling champion
King Mo - Strikeforce champion, Pan American & US wrestling champion
Ron Waterman - NCAA All american wrestler, 1993 Olympic wrestling hopeful, 130 kg of steroid muscle
Kazushi Sakuraba - UFC tournament champion, former world's no. 1 ranked LHW MMA fighter
Yuji Nagata - Japanese Greco-Roman champion
Dos Caras Jr, - Mexican Olympic wrestler, 4th place on Pan American games where he beat Randy Couture
Hiromitsu Kanehara - RINGS veteran
Yoshihisa Yamamoto - RINGS veteran

Thiago Alves before he ran into GSP.

Conor obviously KTFO's every wrestler.

Cro Cop is 16-1 vs wrestlers, only lost to Randleman.

He beat:

3x Josh Barnett - UFC champion
2x Kazuyuki Fujita - Top 10 ranked MMA fighter at that time, Japanese national wrestling champion
Mark Coleman - UFC & Pride Champion, NCAA Division 1 wrestling champion, silver medail on World championship
Kevin Randleman - UFC champion, NCAA Div 1 champion
Heath Herring - top 5 ranked MMA fighter at that time,
Amir Aliakbari - World Greco-Roman wrestling champion
King Mo - Strikeforce champion, Pan American & US wrestling champion
Ron Waterman - NCAA All american wrestler, 1993 Olympic wrestling hopeful, 130 kg of steroid muscle
Kazushi Sakuraba - UFC tournament champion, former world's no. 1 ranked LHW MMA fighter
Yuji Nagata - Japanese Greco-Roman champion
Dos Caras Jr, - Mexican Olympic wrestler, 4th place on Pan American games where he beat Randy Couture
Hiromitsu Kanehara - RINGS veteran
Yoshihisa Yamamoto - RINGS veteran

Its also I think clearly the aspect of his game that has declined the least with age, I think he could still be a big threat to any wrestler who doesn't have quality standup.

Aldo and Barao have incredible takedown defense. Aldo is a nightmare to take down and no one can keep him on the floor.

Exactly. Aldo's TDD is insane and even on the rare occasion he did get takedown he was back up within seconds.

Besides Hominick and Lamas whe Aldo was gassed in 5th rounds I don't recall anyone keeping him down for any significant amount of time.

Not counting Max when Aldo was rocked obviously.

BJ Penn may have been even better though, at Lightweight atleast.

GSP took BJ down at will to a point where he had to quit and Edgar mopped the floor with him. His TDD was pretty good but people overrate it way too much especially because he nullified Sanchez.

Yoel Romero, cause he's the most accomplished wrestler in the UFC, but always keeps the fight standing.

GSP took BJ down at will to a point where he had to quit and Edgar mopped the floor with him. His TDD was pretty good but people overrate it way too much especially because he nullified Sanchez.

I said at Lightweight and Frankie didn't have much success with takedowns in the first fight and only marginal success in the second.

Rory Mac didn't have much success nor did Matt Hughes so I would have to disagree. GSP was an animal and really the only one who took him down at will and even then it was only in the second fight he was able to do it so easily.

Edit. Just looked it up. Frankie 1 for 13 in the first fight and 3 for 9 in the rematch. 4 out of 22, not very good at all.

Machida losing to Davis is the only won. Weidmen is not a wrestler, he is a complete fighter, great stand up, ground game and takedowns
Weidman not a wrestler? Weidman won state in hs, was a hs All American in Freestyle and Greco, then he was a college All American in Juco and D-1. He was also the Wrestling Coach at Hofstra before getting into BJJ, then MMA. He also had plans to try out for the Olympics before getting into MMA, while he winning Grappling tournaments, and had yet to meet Longo.

Some guys are just good at derailing wrestlers hype and ability.

1. Jon Jones is for me the biggest Anti-wrestler on all levels from All-Americans to Olyampians. Vlad mats, Rashad, Sonnen, Bader, Hamill, O'Brien, and Cormier these are all elite wrestlers.

2. Robbie Lawler his been taking out many wrestlers lately

3. Chuck Lidell

4. Aldo

Nobody else comes to mind right now?
Jones was a hs All American plus State Champ on hs, was on the Jr Olympics National Team, won a Juco National Championship, and was a Juco All American.. in Wrestling.

Lawler was a hs All American in Wrestling, in Iowa.

Liddell was a D-1 College Wrestler.

I said at Lightweight and Frankie didn't have much success with takedowns in the first fight and only marginal success in the second.

Rory Mac didn't have much success nor did Matt Hughes so I would have to disagree. GSP was an animal and really the only one who took him down at will and even then it was only in the second fight he was able to do it so easily.

Edit. Just looked it up. Frankie 1 for 13 in the first fight and 3 for 9 in the rematch. 4 out of 22, not very good at all.

You say at LW and then start mentioning Hughes and Rory?

I mean just to prove your point you are going to eliminate FW? Why not include Fitch then who also took him down numerous time and actually drew the fight by taking BJ down and keeping him there.

Also GSP took him down a number of times in both fights as far as I remember. Frankie took him down at will in their third fight and also statistics like this are hugely misleading sometimes for example Frankie destroyed him on the ground for most of the 2nd fight yet you are saying no but he only got taken down like 3 times. I mean Khabib fails multiple times before securing takedowns and it seems like his opponents stopped him a lot but reality is much different at the end.

We have seen some pretty good TDD from BJ, that cannot be denied but he is nowhere close to the best in that aspect as claimed by his fans.

Whitaker
Aldo
CroCop
JDS
Gus

Back