Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

The kid is good. Implement punching too ehen drilling footwork.

I love doing that but I really have no time.
Pivot to the left ones, then next time when pivoting to the left add left hook.

Pivot to the.right, then next time do it with a right cross.

Stepping backwards - add a couple of jabs.

Side steppngg to left add a 1-2-1. Side stepping to right add a 2-1-2.

My now 80 years coach with an olympic medal has always insisted we use hands too when we drill footwork. He insist on good feet placement and punch throwing.

We seriously warmed up 10 mins going forward and backwards while punching and doing double jabs to left disgonal then switching double jab to right diagonal with the opposite stance.

All of this kind of starts looking like a shadow boxing instead of footwork drills.

To mix it up you can do a round purely with footwork, a round mixed footwork with punches. A round around the bag dedicated to footwork and punching mixed again. Then repeat all that.

I posted already on this thread about it. But not long ago I met an ami boxer a student of my coaches who went setious trough their system. He said the most important is proper setting of feet under the body otherwise you do not punch but.swim. So feet to punching coordination is extremely important. And this is what I notice when I watch the.videos posted in this threat with the.cuban coaches.

Your coach knows whats up!

The kid is good. Implement punching too ehen drilling footwork.

I love doing that but I really have no time.
Pivot to the left ones, then next time when pivoting to the left add left hook.

Pivot to the.right, then next time do it with a right cross.

Stepping backwards - add a couple of jabs.

Side steppngg to left add a 1-2-1. Side stepping to right add a 2-1-2.

My now 80 years coach with an olympic medal has always insisted we use hands too when we drill footwork. He insist on good feet placement and punch throwing.

We seriously warmed up 10 mins going forward and backwards while punching and doing double jabs to left disgonal then switching double jab to right diagonal with the opposite stance.

All of this kind of starts looking like a shadow boxing instead of footwork drills.

To mix it up you can do a round purely with footwork, a round mixed footwork with punches. A round around the bag dedicated to footwork and punching mixed again. Then repeat all that.

I posted already on this thread about it. But not long ago I met an ami boxer a student of my coaches who went setious trough their system. He said the most important is proper setting of feet under the body otherwise you do not punch but.swim. So feet to punching coordination is extremely important. And this is what I notice when I watch the.videos posted in this threat with the.cuban coaches.

I wish I'd had more footwork forced on me when I was a kid boxing. At the gyms I went looking back we worked on everything ad nauseam except footwork after learning the basics

I saw a German fighter training under Pedro Diaz, former coach for the Cuban national team, the kid had great footwork even in a small ring, his opponent just couldn't get in any position to cut off the ring. I can always tell the Cuban fighters because they tend to stand up straighter and rely on the jab.

I have been watching this guy a lot. He has some very detailed explanations and I like his boxing. He makes his guys work a lot in a rhythm.

His stuff is very very useful

He is explaining about a tempo change. He says "you are in a rhytm jumping back and forth, being slow. Then you increase the tempo".

He is correcting a lot regarding the landing and punching and positioning all the time. He even tells her "go now" when she fails to do it as she is not doing it as he wants.

He is explaining about a tempo change. He says "you are in a rhytm jumping back and forth, being slow. Then you increase the tempo".

He is correcting a lot regarding the landing and punching and positioning all the time. He even tells her "go now" when she fails to do it as she is not doing it as he wants.

I kind of get it but the 1-2 using a half step is quicker and easier but if you miss you can't step back as fast.
So in the video he uses 8 beats for 3 punches with the pendulum steps but you can throw them in 4 beats with half steps.

Speed is not their priority.

Speed is not their priority.

So is mastering pendulum steps worth it and where can I find instructionals? Also when do you use them? How do you transition between? Some people don't use an upward motion with pendulum steps to increase power and some do why is that? I remember tyson used upward motion all the time when punching but his style is different.

Last edited:
Well you need a coach like this one for sure, who has.specialized in all that. As you can see it is not only the steps he pays attention to.

Well you need a coach like this one for sure, who has.specialized in all that. As you can see it is not only the steps he pays attention to.
There are too many different styles to find a coach for each and every one.

Why do you need to master all styles?

I just want to learn about them not master them I am new in boxing but I started tkd type of arts when I was 6 years old. I am good with kicks and I am bored of them I want to learn about boxing. I wanna learn about all styles before I decide which one to train.

Last edited:
I just want to learn about them not master them I am new in boxing but I started tkd type of arts when I was 6 years old. I am good with kicks and I am bored of them I want to learn about boxing. I wanna learn about all styles before I decide which one to train.
Well you cant really decide that way. You pick a good coach and you follow his.guidance. if you do it your way you will end up like me - too many bad habits to unlearn and a very few good ones

Well you cant really decide that way. You pick a good coach and you follow his.guidance. if you do it your way you will end up like me - too many bad habits to unlearn and a very few good ones

I am too old to compete so I don't care I just want to learn about more styles.

Not Cuban but I quite like four hundred and forty five year old Roberto Duran showing some class inside fighting in this sparring session. I quite like looking at sparring footage, I think it can sometimes be clearer to see the theory than in the chaos of a full on fight. Some very nice defence on display too.

The video DOES work but it might show a bad thumbnail looking like it was removed. I made this mistake when I took it from the inside fighting thread.

I see that they've put english subs in the videos of the Russian coach you posted in the thread guys.
It's great to understand completely his drills.

I just watched this really interesting video of his, where he shows a drill with a tennis ball and how it connects with his philosophy on punching and moving to a guy who had a different teacher in the past and was taught differently. At 8:47 you can see the contrast of the methods.

Back