The Compgun Thread

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
I've had this 5 inch carry comp since 1991. To date its by far my favorite handgun, I can still hit things even after long lay-offs from shooting.

58000 rnds later its still going strong, but remembering how fun the full length compguns were back in the early 90s I always wanted one.

My carry comp cost me $1200 back in 1991 Dollars. I thought it might be possible to pull some strings and do an budget full length gun. Maybe $1300 total.

To that end I scored a new Springfield Range officer, (on sale blemished) added and Ed Brown barrel, trigger kit, magwell, and egw comp blank.

Got a buddy of mine to fit the barrel. (he used to be a gunsmith)

I blended the magwell. And talked my brother into doing the machine work on the comp.

Here's the progress on the Comp so far.

Still to do:

Weld and blend old frontsight.
Match comp diameter to slide.
remove excess tooling marks.
Re-check the clearance between the comp should and slide face.
Test and tune recoil springs.
Bunch of other shit.

Send off to have Hard Chromed.

Prolly use these goons.
https://www.apwcogan.com/

Nice. I need to get a compensated gun.

Might get an M&P Pro or Peformance Center Model before year end.

Still to do:

Weld and blend old frontsight.
Match comp diameter to slide.
remove excess tooling marks.
Re-check the clearance between the comp should and slide face.
Test and tune recoil springs.
Bunch of other shit.

Send off to have Hard Chromed.

Prolly use these goons.
https://www.apwcogan.com/

Do you have a pistol with a ported barrel and slide?

It bugs me that most of the gunsmiths nowadays cop out and just leave the front sight on the slide. No one did that back in the early days, (It makes a difference) Of course if you just go optical it doesn't make a shit, but a stationary front sight, further out is Always better for making hits quickly.

A while back I purchased a barrel and comp for my XDM 9mm
https://www.bb-enterprise.biz/ecomm...t-springer-strm-lake-xdm-3-port-combo-9mm.cfm

When I compared it side by side to my 45 carry comp, (six - 6 inch plates at 12 yards) the time was virtually equivalent. Yes, the 9mm kicked less, but the action took noticeably more time to cycle, the trigger was more sloppy, The XD would have needed a fair amount of tuning slide porting and dicking with to get faster.

The fellow at Carver custom said slide weight is critical with these polymer guns.

I think its true to 1911s as well, I'm too far into this new gun and my Broham refuses to re-machine anything, but had I to do it over, I'd have cut the slide off just behind the front sight and got the added benefit of a lighter slide and quicker cycle rate.

Will be interesting to compare the long comp to my carry comp in a similar plate test.

Last edited:
I do not. My Buddy however does:

It works, but does not work nearly as good as my 5inch carry comp.

I was curious how dirty it gets vs external comps.

My M&P performance center pistols with comped barrels get very dirty.

I bugs me that most of the gunsmiths nowadays cop out and just leave the front sight on the slide. No one did that back in the early days, (It makes a difference) Of course if you just go optical it doesn't make a shit, but a stationary front sight, further out is Always better for making hits quickly.

A while back I purchased a barrel and comp for my XDM 9mm
https://www.bb-enterprise.biz/ecomm...t-springer-strm-lake-xdm-3-port-combo-9mm.cfm

When I compared it side by side to my 45 carry comp, (six - 6 inch plates at 12 yards) the time was virtually equivalent. Yes, the 9mm kicked less, but the action took noticeably more time to cycle, the trigger was more sloppy, The XD would have needed a fair amount of tuning slide porting and dicking with to get faster.

The fellow at Carver custom said slide weight is critical with these polymer guns.

I think its true to 1911s as well, I'm too far into this new gun and my Broham refuses to re-machine anything, but had I to do it over, I'd have cut the slide off just behind the front sight and got the added benefit of a lighter slide and quicker cycle rate.

Will be interesting to compare the long comp to my carry comp in a similar plate test.

If I could get any of the fancy Glocks it would be Agency Arm's NOC

1a131e9a6a0c6b5e464c97f206cdf0dc.jpg

wm_9323282.jpg

agency-arms-noc.jpg

NOC_V__93988.1490037248.jpg

I was curious how dirty it gets vs external comps.

I'd suspect it gets dirty. Dirtier.

Ever since Missouri Bullet started powder coating their lead bullets my carry comp runs real clean.

Those Glocks look real expensive. Cheers to the front sight, someone still gets it.

Ok. Maybe "hoping" was a better word. :D

Yeah that was my initial thought as well, I would have got it if that was the case. I looked at other custom Glocks but decided the get my M&P 9 performance center with a threaded barrel, a ported barrel, vortex venom, apex trigger for $950 instead. Spending another 1.5-2k over that(including rmr) seems hard to justify. That price difference can get me a legion sao and a cajun P10c.

Further along now. Finished, except for the finish work. I didn't like the performance of the long slide so I cut an inch off, for quicker cycle-rate and less inertia.

Works with a 15lb recoil spring as long as I keep the powder stacked up behind the 200grn bullets.

I fucking like it.

Works with a 15lb recoil spring as long as I keep the powder stacked up behind the 200grn bullets.

I fucking like it.

From what I understand, more fps the more effective the comp? Have you tried pushing some 185's through it?

From what I understand, more fps the more effective the comp? Have you tried pushing some 185's through it?

Yes. The more you stuff the case with powder the better the comp works.

When it gets a bit warmer I need to chronograph my reloads and see what I'm really getting relative to what the reloading manual says. I started at Max, but I'll probly end up a bit over. Right now the cases are only dropping about 2ft from where I stand.

No not yet. I found 185s to be so-so in the old one, and shot different point of aim compared to the 200grn. Gotta really stack the case with powder to get them to function, or swap out recoil springs. 200grn seems to be a sweet spot.

Update when I start shooting it more. ( need a new holster )

Back