Heavy Bag advice

Towel88

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to get a new heavy bag, pretty sure I'm going to get something around 80lbs, was wondering what you guys think about the type of fill that is best?

I know some have a water core, some have foam liners, and all kinds of other options...

Will be throwing kicks at it also

I only use bags with cement cores and broken glass liners, with sand paper on the outside.

For me, 100% ragg filled is the best there is.

Why 80lb and not 100lb ?

Not sure how the wooden frame i hang it from would hold up and I like a little bit of movement from the bag, so I have to keep up with the footwork. My only experience other than the thai bags at my gym is with a 70lb bag, so figured 80 would be a little better and ill probably use the anchor on this one, so it still moves but not excessively

You need to specify a bit better what your goals are.

1. Do you want it to move and swing? Can be good to train timing and footwork, but also can be a pain for other types of training.

2. You said kicks, but low kicks?

Not too mobile and low kicks? Get a muay thai bag which is long and tends to rest on the floor. Weight can be relatively light since it will drag on the ground.

Mobile and high kicks? A regular "boxing" heavy bag will do the trick. But now you may want more weight to reign it in a bit from swinging wildly.

As for brands?

KO Fightgear is solid and inexpensive. Outslayer has great reviews as well. Fairtex is always solid but pricier. All of them are rag fill. I think water cores are a gimmick personally.

Does anyone have any experience with the 6” 100lb fairtex banana bag and the 6” 130lb outslayer bag? Looking for a first hand opinion on feel / quality and if the material has settled to the bottom on either. Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with the 6” 100lb fairtex banana bag and the 6” 130lb outslayer bag? Looking for a first hand opinion on feel / quality and if the material has settled to the bottom on either. Thanks

There will always be a little bit of settling over time, but the Outslayer would be your best choice.

Fairtex is very good, but Outslayer is better imo.

Hey brother, I highly recommend checking out: https://themmaguru.com/the-top-10-heavy-bags-for-muay-thai-training/

Gives you tons of recommendations, depending on the heavy bag you're looking for.. I personally purchased the outslayer bag (i like it but it's kinda heavy).. I know yous aid about 80 pounds so either get a lighter bag or get an unfilled bag and fill it to how you like!

I just did this review on outslayer bags and included a link for the bag I use at home (coincidentally it is an 80 pound bag). The summary is the Outslayer is very durable but they are hard and the texture is unpleasant for beginners.

I just did this review on outslayer bags and included a link for the bag I use at home (coincidentally it is an 80 pound bag). The summary is the Outslayer is very durable but they are hard and the texture is unpleasant for beginners.

Nice, funny and instructive you tube videos you have there. Watched a few videos last night and loved it. Great job

honestly, check craigslist, that facebook bazaar thing, or anything like that. Exercise equipment, especially heavy bags, are often bought and never used by people - it's absurd.

Whatever though, they pass the savings on to you, I guess.

I found a KO Fighthear bag from private seller. Real solid, get you one if you dont wanna spend on a pricy bag.

Certain bags are better for kicking and others not so much. :)

Can’t find any used bags near where I live, seems cheaper to buy an empty bag, I’ve got about 4 garbage bags of old clothes and tons of old blankets think clothes would work ok to fill it?

Back