Movies Movie News and Notes

2nd Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable-Split Sequel GLASS

Ryan Coogler Signs on to Write and Direct Marvel Studios' BLACK PANTHER Sequel

56xVS6t.jpg

Ryan Coogler is going back to Wakanda. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter the filmmaker behind Marvel’s landmark Black Panther has quietly closed a deal to write and direct the sequel.

While the move was expected — Marvel wanted to keep the creative team as intact as possible and a sequel was never in any real doubt — the timing was always unclear.

Black Panther, centering on T'Challa, the king of a fictional African country, was an outsized success both commercially and critically. The movie, which starred Chadwick Boseman as the titular hero, grossed $700 million domestically and more than $1.3 billion worldwide, and is also considered a contender for Oscar consideration. The movie became a defining cultural moment and touchstone, especially for the black community.

In the weeks prior and after to the movie’s February release, both Marvel and Coogler’s camp were hounded about when a sequel deal would be inked. Typically, a filmmaker is more than willing to quickly sign on for a follow-up and a studio is eager to snap up a key piece of talent in the lead-up to or right after a successful opening. But Coogler’s camp shook off the peer pressure and took its time in making a deal, which occurred under the radar some time ago.

Sources say the plan at this stage is for Coogler to write next year with an eye to start production in either late 2019 or early 2020. Marvel and parent company Disney, however, have not made any official announcements about Marvel's slate of movies beyond the release of the next Avengers movie in May 2019 and a Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel in July — and plans could shift.

Coogler is developing the drama Wrong Answer with his frequent collaborator and Black Panther star Michael B. Jordan. He is also executive producing LeBron James’ Space Jam sequel and acts in the same capacity on the upcoming Creed 2.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...er-2-ryan-coogler-write-direct-sequel-1151626

Margot Robbie to Star in BARBIE Movie from Mattel and Warner Bros.

Barbie has found a new studio lot for her Malibu Dream House. A movie about the popular doll was in development for years at Sony, but now Mattel is partnering with Warner Bros. for a feature film, with Margot Robbie in talks to star.

Robbie would also produce the project through her LuckyChap banner.

It was first announced in 2014 that Mattel was partnering with Sony for a Barbie movie. In 2016 it was reported that Amy Schumer would star in the movie that was billed as putting a contemporary spin on the toy with an emphasis on feminism and identity. A few months later Schumer dropped out of the project due to "scheduling conflicts." It was later reported Anne Hathaway would replace Schumer.

In January, Sony pushed the movie's release date from Aug. 8, 2018, to May 8, 2020, but the rights to Barbie reverted back to Mattel a few months later, and it appears the toymaker has found a new studio partner.

Sources say that Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins is circling the Warners project but indicate there are no substantive talks that have taken place.

If deals make, the Barbie movie would continue a partnership between Robbie and Warner Bros., where her LuckyChap banner has a first-look deal. The studio is gearing up for the Robbie-produced Birds of Prey, which will see her reprise her DCU role as Harley Quinn.

Robbie, who earned an Oscar nomination for last year's I, Tonya, will next be seen in Mary Queen of Scots and is currently working on Sony's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She is repped by CAA, Management 360 and Jackoway Tyerman.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/margot-robbie-talks-play-barbie-warner-bros-movie-1149347
Oh man. I love Margot Robbie and Barbie and I’ll watch this with no shame lol.

Pass.

Knowing that will Smith is in it makes it an even easier pass

i watched the nun

soooooo terrible
give it a 3 and that's me being generous

looking forward to Halloween 2018

Pet Sematary will be cool for nostalgia reasons, proper soft spot for those old televised/tv movie King things.

Never liked Child's Play.

missed the leaked trailer. Hopefully it's released in HD glory soon

So just never ending reboots then?

I guess human creativity peaked in the 1980's. *rolleyes*

So just never ending reboots then?

I guess human creativity peaked in the 1980's. *rolleyes*
Some remakes make sense and are appropriate but most are just a pathetic cash grab. It's a little soon to remake a classic like Pet Cemetery. It has a lot to live up to.

Have people not been paying attention for the past 8 years? It's all been remakes, reboots and superhero movies.

just want to say the end to sorry to bother you fucked me up

Back