How Goldberg's streak almost ended...

TankAbbott

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/46107-random-newsletter-stuff/?page=5

How the streak almost ended:

"There is a lot of talk of having Hennig attack Konnan for the turn which would result in Goldberg losing via DQ so he wouldn't get No. 100 after all, but that idea is retarded." - June 15, 98 Observer

"Bill Goldberg pinned Konnan in 1:57 to retain the U.S. title....There was a lot of heat stemming from the changing of the original finish. Curt Hennig was unhappy because the real heat for him was to be the guy who screwed Goldberg on his 100th win and he had major words with Eric Bischoff regarding both this and his interview on Thunder being canceled a few days earlier. Kevin Nash was unhappy because it was his idea that was accepted, and then later overruled." - June 22, 98 Observer

Wrestling plans are always fluid and subject to sudden changes. Back then it was much more true. Ideas are tentatively thrown all the time. Really means nothing probably wasn’t close st all to happen

Jesus the ideas that Kevin Nash thought were good. No wonder Easy E was looking to get into any other business at that point.

I would have been more than ok with Goldberg taking bumps and actually losing some matches at the time.

Instead Kevin Nash stole WCWs most over wrestlers thunder and then never gave the most over wrestler in WCW another world title run.

Place was run like shite back in the day. Especially when vince Russo took over and sunk that ship

Losing matches?
Goldberg had a guy fired for refusing to be squashed.
I heard he killed Bruiser Brody for not selling!!!

Seriously, do people believe the Regal thing because they're such huge fans they refuse to acknowledge what a horrid drug mess he was or is it people will just believe anything?

WCW was piping in the Goldberg chants at one point.

Seriously, do people believe the Regal thing because they're such huge fans they refuse to acknowledge what a horrid drug mess he was or is it people will just believe anything?

I think if you watch the match and know what you're looking at, you can see him giving Goldberg openings and Goldberg just isn't doing anything with them.

Add to that, Regal has a rep fir being a straight talker and Goldbeeg has a rep for being a crybaby and a mark for himself.

To be fair, the way he actually lost his streak was pretty dumb. Gave it to a guy who didn't need the put over, and with a cattle prod? Wasted potential right there.

I watched that video where Regal admitted drug problems led to his dismissal from the WCW. Unfortunately the internet has just as much misinformation it has information.

To be fair, the way he actually lost his streak was pretty dumb. Gave it to a guy who didn't need the put over, and with a cattle prod? Wasted potential right there.
Haha I don’t disagree but I’ll never forget that night. My big brother who I saw a few times a year came to visit, we were huge fans of the Wolfpack and I never marked out so hard lol.

Agree in hindsight not at the moment it happened though for me personally.

Back