What's Your Next Purchase? V5

I texted our retired CO, basically gave me the, "You're young, single and don't have kids...do it!"

Just came back from my archery shop to look at another pair after dusk; this time the 10x50 ELs, that did not make things any easier. I love the image of the ELs, especially the 50 mm, I just hate how proprietary all the attachment points are.

@bushman505, thoughts?

I love the ELs 10x50 would be cool but I’ve never really owned anything other than 10x42 and 8x42. Swarovski el is probably among the top glass out there though.

I love the ELs 10x50 would be cool but I’ve never really owned anything other than 10x42 and 8x42. Swarovski el is probably among the top glass out there though.
Yeah, kinda conflicted over the long term. In 10x42, I actually prefer the SLCs, mostly due to conventional accessory compatibility; I do really want to start glassing off of a tripod. But I also really like that 50 mm objective, but do I like it $1k more?

Yeah, kinda conflicted over the long term. In 10x42, I actually prefer the SLCs, mostly due to conventional accessory compatibility; I do really want to start glassing off of a tripod. But I also really like that 50 mm objective, but do I like it $1k more?

For all around use, I’d go with a 10x42 but if glassing off a tripod is what you’re looking for, a 10x50 is great. Lots of guys I know who do the whole tripod Bibi glassing thing use like 15x50.

Thanks for the input! Any specific model/brand?

Muzzleloader has never been fired and looks brand new.

I bought a .22 Savage Mark ii F out of the blue the other day. Gonna take it out Friday.

I have a new, expensive, obsession.

The Mossberg 930 is a good semi auto shotgun that is reasonably priced. If you got the money I've heard good things about Benelli, Browning, and Beretta shotguns. Winchester makes a good semi auto shotgun as well. I would stay away from Remington products until they get their quality control situated, but that is a personal opinion.

If it were me I would buy a Mossberg 930 first just to see if you really like bird hunting. No point in spending $1k+ on something that you'll never use.

Have fun with the new hobby. It can get expensive really quick. Shotguns and .22s are cheap, but it'll start hitting your wallet hard once you move into rifles and pistols. I didn't realize it until I bought a rifle, a good scope, a case, nice ammo, etc. that I dropped a ton of money on this hobby and that was only for a single gun. It only compounds once you buy a safe and see all that space you have for more firearms.

The Mossberg 930 is a good semi auto shotgun that is reasonably priced. If you got the money I've heard good things about Benelli, Browning, and Beretta shotguns. Winchester makes a good semi auto shotgun as well. I would stay away from Remington products until they get their quality control situated, but that is a personal opinion.

If it were me I would buy a Mossberg 930 first just to see if you really like bird hunting. No point in spending $1k+ on something that you'll never use.

Have fun with the new hobby. It can get expensive really quick. Shotguns and .22s are cheap, but it'll start hitting your wallet hard once you move into rifles and pistols. I didn't realize it until I bought a rifle, a good scope, a case, nice ammo, etc. that I dropped a ton of money on this hobby and that was only for a single gun. It only compounds once you buy a safe and see all that space you have for more firearms.

Fuck I love this forum. Thank you my man, I really appreciate the info and sound advice.

As for the hobby stuff, I get it. I bought a safe already, which lead to me buying the .22, which has given me the itch to buy a bigger caliber rifle, plus the shotgun, and I’ve always wanted handguns.

Im going to have to pick up a part time job to afford all this.

EzTB69V.jpg

C6BIvnH.jpg

ko4tUuK.jpg

#yolo

7D11D52B-4100-44E3-9084-F546EBC69F6B_zps5fr7gouu.jpg

My Grandpa just gave me these. They’re officially my first guns. I’m taking them to a gunsmith on Thursday, as they haven’t been fired in 50+ years or ever.

1918 Enfield .303
C-I-L 670 12 gauge
Knight Bighorn .50 Cal muzzleloader

The shotgun is in rough shape and I think I’m going to buy a new one. Debating between a cheaper option like the Maverick 88/Mossberg 500, or spend some money on an 870 Wingmaster. The goal is to go duck hunting next year.

Have you checked the bore on that muzzleloader? If it isn’t cleaned right away, some of those powders really collect water and erode barrels quickly.

Those suck!!!!

Just joking lol those things are rad, nice score, you won’t need new binos for a loooooong time.
Came down to accessory attachment, don't want to send a pair of ELs to Outdoorsmans to drill and tap for a tripod adaptor stud, nor do I want to purchase conventional strap loops separately.

I did love those EL 10x50s, though.

Have you checked the bore on that muzzleloader? If it isn’t cleaned right away, some of those powders really collect water and erode barrels quickly.

Muzzleloader has never been fired, but I checked anyways and she’s good to go!

Came down to accessory attachment, don't want to send a pair of ELs to Outdoorsmans to drill and tap for a tripod adaptor stud, nor do I want to purchase conventional strap loops separately.

I did love those EL 10x50s, though.

I hear you. For me it wouldn’t matter because they just ride around in a chest pack. But I don’t do tripods much either.

Nice choice, you’ll like those. I messed around with vortex and leupold for years before I finally said screw it and bought real glass.

m7S223c.jpg

LOL, almost forgot that I ordered this. Optics Planet had a coupon code earlier this month, on top of the Nikon Monarch discount that were spread across the dealers for October. I ordered it at the time to try to tie up some money so I wouldn't have such an "Alpha glass" craving, it didn't work.

Pretty cool rig though, image stabilization takes some getting used to, especially if you keep both eyes open. Kinda like fighting imbalance from intoxication at first.

Aero A5 upper/lower/handguard for my Mk12 .308 clone

I just priced out my dream Outdoorsmans tripod set up, it's fucking $1,100 USD.
<30>
Definitely going to have to wait until my tax return in the spring.

@bushman505, do you glass off of a tripod?

Back