Ken Shamrock is back to NHB fighting

Don't know if Ken is on the juice or not but for being in his mid 50s he's in incredible shape. Good to see he's still doing things and keeping himself busy and hopefully he's got a few dollars in his pocket still.

hDCCA1453

Why's he wasting his time with wrestling, he's only 54 he could go on another run in MMA.

Ken looks good for 54.

Ken was pretty good at wrestling in his prime. He probably should of stayed on that path..

Ken was pretty good at wrestling in his prime. He probably should of stayed on that path..
Ken could have been better if he joined in 95/96, He was in an era of future stars (rock, Austin, triple h & taker) and was lost in the shuffle

Idk what he did to Vince (or WWF) to be blacklisted tbh.

Not even 1 cameo or some shiet with them is kinda strange.

As tempted as I am to make a joke, his 54 year old ass could still beat me up.

You called him "one of the absolute best to ever do it". Beyond the fact that none of the best fighters of the 90's would hold a candle to any GOOD fighter today, even in his heyday Ken was not the best.

I'm not a fan of that line of thinking. By that logic George Mikan would be an average big man compared to current NBA centers. Greatness, in my opinion, should be measured by what you managed to accomplish in your era.

Where does that put Shamrock? The first King of Pancrase. A UFC Superfight champion. Someone who holds wins over Funaki, Rutten, Smith, Severn....guys who were all top level in their era. I don't even know if we should factor in the seminal significance of the Lion's Den but surely his standing as one of the most important practicioners of Catch Wrestling should.

End of the day it boils down to which criteria one deems important. Would love to hear your personal all-time top ten MMA fighters though.

Shamrock get's KO'd from getting irish whipped into the ropes.

ri34yyvr0rxz.gif

Ken had been training shoot wrestling for at least a year before his first match in Pancrase.

Source? Ken fought Royce in UFC 1 just three days after he fought in Japan. Anyone who's made that trip, especially with the jet lag and altitude in the Rockies, knows how you'd feel...he was either way overconfident or didn't care much about winning....

One of Ken´s problem was that he didnt seem able to adapt his game to a specific fight configuration & organization.
He was jumping from org to org, and wasnt aware of it.
That´s why he basically fought Hoyce 1 with a Pancrase mindset.

To be fair, no one knew what to expect at UFC 1. It was hyped as some near-fight-to-death Bloodsport thing, and some fighters thought they'd maim or kill each other. And a lot of things were decided on the spot: Ken couldn't wear wrestling boots though Royce had his gi, etc. He really had no way to prepare well for BJJ or the event since all he had was a little Pancrase experience.

To be fair, no one knew what to expect at UFC 1. It was hyped as some near-fight-to-death Bloodsport thing, and some fighters thought they'd maim or kill each other. And a lot of things were decided on the spot: Ken couldn't wear wrestling boots though Royce had his gi, etc. He really had no way to prepare well for BJJ or the event since all he had was a little Pancrase experience.
Eugenio Tadeu too had lil time to prepare well against Renan Pitanguy in the BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge in 1984.
This is what happened:

Royce Gracie, who was probably only legitimately of purple belt caliber back then (according to his own family members and friends) .

That's not believable at all unless they're making the point that purple belts in 1993 aren't the same as purple belts in 2018. The Gracies started training as young kids and basically did nothing but teach and do "Gracie Challenge" fights all of the time. Royce may not have been the best of his family but he was light years ahead of almost all other grappler in terms of training and experience in UFC 1. That said, Ruas would probably beat him, so he wasn't invited.

Eugenio Tadeu too had lil time to prepare well against Renan Pitanguy in the BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge in 1984.
This is what happened:

Too bad Ken didn't train for closed fist striking in Pancrase... with a bit of experience, he could've used sprawl-n-brawl at UFC 1. But he was clearly comfortable just going for subs....I don't think he knew anything about Gracie vs. LL rivalries and such. Hardly anyone in the U.S. did back then.

Remember, this was 1993. The internet was in its infancy, no YT, no streaming videos. VHS was popular, but Blockbuster didn't carry Gracie fights from the 1980s. Brazil was a different story.

Too bad Ken didn't train for closed fist striking in Pancrase... with a bit of experience, he could've used sprawl-n-brawl at UFC 1. But he was clearly comfortable just going for subs....I don't think he knew anything about Gracie vs. LL rivalries and such. Hardly anyone in the U.S. did back then.
He could have played it safe a la Tadeu, but I cant blame someone going for the sub, that´s not my MMA 'ideology'...

Back