SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's Pick the Week 132 Movie: Battle Royale III

Let's pick the week 132 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
INFO: The Club holds it's third Battle Royale! Last time we had 14 Nominations, this time we have 18! Therefore, we've decided to increase everyone's votes from 2 to 3! Remember, you are not allowed to vote for your own Nomination!

Sherdog Movie Club Battle Royale Week!

305273.jpg

Rules:

1: Every member has 3 votes

2: You are NOT allowed to vote for your own Nomination

Here are our candidates!

Battle Royale
Nominated by: @FrontNakedChoke

Director: Kinji Fukasaku

Premise: In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act.

Reason for Nominating: "I again nominate Battle Royale for the Battle Royale. Because I'm consistently lame"

Mandy

Nominated by: @HenryFlower

Director: Panos Cosmatos

Premise: The enchanted lives of a couple in a secluded forest are brutally shattered by a nightmarish hippie cult and their demon-biker henchmen, propelling a man into a spiraling, surreal rampage of vengeance.

Reason for Nominating: Nicolas Cage vs LSD-devouring daemons... need I say more?

Man Bites Dog

Nominated by: @Scott Parker 27

Director: Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel

Premise: A film crew follows a ruthless thief and heartless killer as he goes about his daily routine. But complications set in when the film crew lose their objectivity and begin lending a hand.

The Frighteners

Nominated by: @AndersonsFoot

Director: Peter Jackson

Premise: After a tragic car accident kills his wife, a man discovers he can communicate with the dead to con people. However, when a demonic spirit appears, he may be the only one who can stop it from killing the living and the dead.

You Were Never Really Here

Nominated by: @LHWBelt

Director: Lynne Ramsay

Premise: A traumatized veteran, unafraid of violence, tracks down missing girls for a living. When a job spins out of control, Joe's nightmares overtake him as a conspiracy is uncovered leading to what may be his death trip or his awakening.

Miracle Mile

Nominated by: @Bullitt68

Director: Steve De Jarnatt

Premise: A young man hears a chance phone call telling him that a nuclear war has started and missiles will hit his city in 70 minutes.

Reason for Nominating: Miracle Mile is the definition of a "hidden gem." It's hands down the best film you've never heard of. It flies under all radar, yet, like the lost world of Atlantis, if you happen to be one of the fortunate souls to discover it, your life is altered forever. Miracle Mile is sweet, charming, funny, exciting, terrifying, and insane. You won't believe what you're watching while you're watching it, you'll swear after every hard narrative turn that it can't possibly take another hard turn, and then, finally, you'll embrace the crazy and you'll be dying to find out how it all ends. It's one of the most insanely beautifully awesome times a person can have at the movies and I hope that you all will vote for it so that we can take the ride together as a club.

Boyhood

Nominated by: @Tufts

Director: Richard Linklater

Premise: The life of Mason, from early childhood to his arrival at college.

Reason for Nominating: I nominate Boyhood. I have not seen it and I love that it was filmed over such a length of time. I don't think any other movies have done anything like this. It got good reviews and would probably lead to a good discussion and with additional attention... maybe a future film about Girlhood!

King of Devil's Island

Nominated by: @GSPSAKU

Director: Marius Holst

Premise: Norwegian winter, early 20th century. On the boys home Bastoy, a new inmate leads the boys to a violent uprising against a brutal regime. How far is he willing to go to attain freedom?

Reason for Nominating: I selected this film because of a few reasons such as... A: It's a foreign film which increases the chances that other SDMC members may not have seen it. B: It's based on a true story, which I always find compelling and causes me to dig up more about the actual events and analyze the differences between the dramatized cinematic piece vs the actual events. C: I gravitate toward films that move me, films/characters that can evoke emotion from me, and makes me think what I would do if I were in the situation of each and every character.

Nightcrawler

Nominated by: @ArtemV

Director: Dan Gilroy

Premise: When Louis Bloom, a con man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story.

Beyond The Black Rainbow

Nominated by: @sickc0d3r

Director: Panos Cosmatos

Premise: Despite being under heavy sedation, a young woman tries to make her way out of the Arboria Institute, a secluded, quasi-futuristic commune.

Reason for Nominating: Was originally going to go with Angel Heart. This has nothing to do sickc's reasons for picking this film. I'm just revealing that so to gall MusterX with the knowlage that Angel Heart has been passed over once again:cool:.

Under The Skin

Nominated by: @moreorless87

Director: Jonathan Glazer

Premise: A mysterious young woman seduces lonely men in the evening hours in Scotland. However, events lead her to begin a process of self-discovery.

Reason for Nominating: "A strong contender for the best films this decade for me, taking your standard alien femme fatale premise and putting the viewer in said characters shoes(or skin) giving one of the most effective "alien" viewpoints of our world I'v seen"

Kung Fu Hustle

Nominated by: @Nailgun

Director: Stephen Chow

Premise: In Shanghai, China in the 1940s, a wannabe gangster aspires to join the notorious "Axe Gang" while residents of a housing complex exhibit extraordinary powers in defending their turf.

Reason for Nominating: It's rather fitting in the Battle Royale theme, is about martial arts as is Sherdog, but mainly because it's an awesome film and if just 1 person in the group hasn't seen it, they'll thank me.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Nominated by: @Cubo de Sangre

Director: Eli Craig

Premise: Affable hillbillies Tucker and Dale are on vacation at their dilapidated mountain cabin when they are mistaken for murderers by a group of preppy college students.

Reason for Nominating: I picked this one because it's funny, fairly obscure, and is one of the better pisstakes on Horror films. There's no preview (trailer) included because I strongly believe this movie is best entered into with as little idea and expectation as possible. If all you think when it begins is that it looks like another silly Troma movie then you're right where I was (after letting someone convince me to give it a watch). But that's what makes it especially awesome, as you realize this movie is far more creative than that and a ton of fun to boot. Do yourself a favor if you haven't seen this and give it a vote.

th

Village of the Damned (1960)

Nominated by: @Yotsuya

Director: Wolf Rilla

Premise: In the English village of Midwich, the blonde-haired, glowing-eyed children of uncertain paternity prove to have frightening powers.

Reason for Nominating: "I feel like watching vintage scifi and haven't seen this one."

The House of the Devil (2009)

Nominated by: @MusterX

Director: Ti West

Premise: In 1983, financially struggling college student Samantha Hughes takes a strange babysitting job that coincides with a full lunar eclipse. She slowly realizes her clients harbor a terrifying secret, putting her life in mortal danger.

Reason for Nominating: Made in 2009 but set in 1983, this film is a throwback to another time and style of horror. "West, a rising young director of minor cult pleasures, comes clean here about his love for all things Bava (Mario) and Carpenter (John)" -Ty Burr, Boston Globe. "Even the familiar tropes of The House of the Devil are familiar in the right way, like an old, bloodstained sweater." -Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune

Wake in Fright (1971)

Nominated by: @Rimbaud82

Director: Ted Kotcheff

Premise: After a bad gambling bet, a schoolteacher is marooned in a town full of crazy, drunk, violent men who threaten to make him just as crazy, drunk, and violent.

Reason for Nominating: It is one of my favourite films and blew me away when I first watched it, it's also one I think a lot of people will find interesting. It's an outstanding 'existential thriller' about a young intellectual who, when attempting to travel back to Sydney from a remote rural school where he teaches at, gets trapped for a few days in a small mining town in the Australian outback. It's a deeply unsettling film - in a good, interesting way - but there is no real threat, the horror, if you can call it that comes from human nature and human psychology. It was something of a 'half-lost' film for decades, the only print (found in Dublin actually) was pretty shite quality, too poor to use for even DVD. By a stroke of luck they found the negatives in a shipping container which was labelled 'For Destruction'! Oh and the director would later go on to direct First Blood.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Nominated by: @jei

Director: Frank Capra

Premise: A naive man is appointed to fill a vacancy in the United States Senate. His plans promptly collide with political corruption, but he doesn't back down.

Reason for Nominating: In honor of the 2018 American midterm elections this week, this film is about a good and simple man that gets caught up in the political system when he is appointed to the U.S. Senate. One of my all-time favorites, this film still holds up today. As much as we shy away from politics in the club, a discussion about the system and corruption, and not this or that party and their politics, could be a fun one.

Black Narcissus

Nominated by: @europe1

Director: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger

Premise: After opening a convent in the Himalayas, five nuns encounter conflict and tension - both with the natives and also within their own group - as they attempt to adapt to their remote, exotic surroundings.

Reason for Nominating: A technicolour erotic drama starring nuns! As always, I pick a film that I've never seen before, but heard great things about. Visually it looks amazing.

Well I have to admit, there is one film on this list that I have zero interest watching again, but the rest I'm open to seeing again (or for the first time, if one of the four I haven't seen before win).

Well I have to admit, there is one film on this list that I have zero interest watching again, but the rest I'm open to seeing again (or for the first time, if one of the four I haven't seen before win).

How peculiar. There is also one film I abjectly loathe on that list. I wonder if it is the same?

How peculiar. There is also one film I abjectly loathe on that list. I wonder if it is the same?
When voting closes, we'll bring it up and I'll inadvertently make the poster who picked it feel bad. Even though it won't reflect on them, it is what it is.

Lots of interesting selections. Kinda tempted to vote for one or two I've already seen. Fuckin' decisions. :(

Some I have seen and love, some I would be curious to see, and a few that I have no desire whatsoever to watch. An interesting mix for sure.

I am back! My laptop is back !

My first SMC Battle Royale and I am ready to fucking rumble!

giphy.gif

I voted for one that I've seen and am curious to hear other people's thoughts on (plus it's a fun movie with a heavy dose of nostalgia for me), one that I've seen and know would make for excellent discussion, and one that I've never seen because it sounds awesome.

And yet, for all of my genuine enthusiasm for the three films that I voted for, I hope that all three of them lose and that my pick wins :D

Only seen 2 of these but nearly every one looks like something I want to watch. Props boys.

Only seen 2 of these but nearly every one looks like something I want to watch. Props boys.
Wish I was you lol and by that I mean I wish I hadn't seen most of these films. I've seen all but 5.

Like Bullitt68, I picked one film because I want to see what you guys think of it...and I don't mind watching it again

goddamn this is a killer lineup of movies. handshakes all around.

also a separate highfive to @sickc0d3r

Someone contacted me about a mis-vote (accidentally voted for themselves).

I can't change the actual poll though. So I'll post the info here.

-1 Mandy
+1 Wake in Fright

-1 Mandy
+1 Wake in Fright
giphy.gif

Up until now I've never known anyone but me to bring that movie up. Back when E.R. was big, the film would come to mind regularly.

There's something about that movie for me. In my life, it's honestly become a good luck charm. It's accompanied me on so many different stops on my film journey over the last decade that I actually find it kind of spooky. I have so many stories to tell about it, but I'll wait until the voting's closed (I say "wait until the voting's closed" and not "wait until the discussion thread" because it seems pretty clear that it ain't winning this Battle Royale :(). For now, I'll say that I'd be unable to bring it up if it weren't for @aquamanpunch, an old frequenter of the Serious Movie Discussion thread. In the SMD of old, members would often do movie bets (before an upcoming card, two members would pick two fighters and whoever's pick lost had to watch the movie of the other's choosing). I upped the ante once and offered a movie challenge. I made a list of Katharine Hepburn movies and told people that for every Hepburn movie they watched I'd watch two movies of their choosing.

Needless to say, the list of movies that I ended up having to go through was quite long. But aqua was like a shark with a bucket of chum. He fucking devoured that Hepburn list. I think he watched something like 8 of them which left me with 16 movies on the list just for him. One of them was Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist. Anyone who knows what that is will understand the kind of person I was dealing with with aqua as well as my level of commitment to the challenge. But another one of the movies on his list was Miracle Mile. In a weird way, I owe him a lot and all he did was recommend a movie to me.

And then along you come and of course you're the cool member of the club who already knows what's up with Miracle Mile :cool:

giphy.gif

-1 Mandy
+1 Wake in Fright

giphy.gif

I thought Battle Royale had won. Was gonna put on my hipster asshole hat and start recommending a bunch of Kinji Fukasaku Yakuza flicks

I'm not mad. Just disappointed.

There's something about that movie for me. In my life, it's honestly become a good luck charm. It's accompanied me on so many different stops on my film journey over the last decade that I actually find it kind of spooky. I have so many stories to tell about it, but I'll wait until the voting's closed (I say "wait until the voting's closed" and not "wait until the discussion thread" because it seems pretty clear that it ain't winning this Battle Royale :(). For now, I'll say that I'd be unable to bring it up if it weren't for @aquamanpunch, an old frequenter of the Serious Movie Discussion thread. In the SMD of old, members would often do movie bets (before an upcoming card, two members would pick two fighters and whoever's pick lost had to watch the movie of the other's choosing). I upped the ante once and offered a movie challenge. I made a list of Katharine Hepburn movies and told people that for every Hepburn movie they watched I'd watch two movies of their choosing.

Needless to say, the list of movies that I ended up having to go through was quite long. But aqua was like a shark with a bucket of chum. He fucking devoured that Hepburn list. I think he watched something like 8 of them which left me with 16 movies on the list just for him. One of them was Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist. Anyone who knows what that is will understand the kind of person I was dealing with with aqua as well as my level of commitment to the challenge. But another one of the movies on his list was Miracle Mile. In a weird way, I owe him a lot and all he did was recommend a movie to me.

And then along you come and of course you're the cool member of the club who already knows what's up with Miracle Mile :cool:

giphy.gif

At the time it came out I was still devouring everything on cable. Flipped it on one day and never forgot about the impact it had. Had no idea what I was getting into at the time and loved it. Would have voted for it but I wanted my film to win and not yours. :p

<note to self: don't vote at all next time> :D

Back